This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's Your Fave Zelda Game?

edited December 2006 in Video Games
What's Your Fave Zelda Game?
Mine's Link's Awakening it comes right out and says "hey there are 9 dungeons."

Comments

• Unequivocally, it's The Legend of Zelda for the NES. I really did like A Link to the Past for the GBA, though.
  • My favorite Zelda game is a tie between Zelda 1 , and Ocarina of Time .
  • My favorite is definitely The Legend of Zelda for the NES.
  • OoT was the first Zelda game I finished so it's my favorite.
  • A Link to the Past was my first Zelda game so it's got a special place in my heart. After I beat that I picked up Link's Awakening and just didn't get that into it. It was ages ago so I don't remember what it was that turned me off but I never did finish it.

More recently I just beat Twilight Princess this past week so I downloaded the original Legend of Zelda from the virtual console since I've never played it before. Having gotten into video games mostly with the later years of the SNES (like Mario 3 and beyond) having to navigate a world going only vertically and horizontally is intriguingly difficult. I'm having fun with it, though.
  • Ocarina of time. This is such a great game.
  • Zelda 1, although I hope Phantom Hourglass will be up there XD
  • edited December 2006
    ...having to navigate a world going only vertically and horizontally is intriguingly difficult.
    Wow...really!? I guess maybe if you never have played a game that [relatively] old before...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Wow...really!? I guess maybe if you never have played a game that [relatively] old before...
    Yeah, this is the first game I've played (at least that I can remember) that's limited in that way. Everything else has either been a side-scroller, full 3D, or at least overhead with the ability to do diagonally when you need to. It's not bad, I just find that I have to intentionally slow myself down and make sure that I line up with enemies more accurately. My impressions with this early control system are unforgiving but I'm sure once I spend more than 15 minutes with it at a time it'll become second nature.
    Another thing that I found odd is that I've always heard of the original Zelda described as an incredibly deep game for it's time. Imagine my surprise when I start the game for the first time and am dumped in the middle of a screen, pick up a sword from a nearby cave, and go out killing monsters without any motivation whatsoever. No backstory. No uncle leaving mysteriously in the middle of the night. No sister kidnapped by a giant bird. I'm just there and now I've got a weapon and I guess I may as well use it. If I were Link and randomly woke up like that I'd just go home and go to sleep.
  • If I remember correctly, the back story was provided in the game manual. Long intros were not very common in old NES games.
  • My impressions with this early control system are unforgiving...
    Wow. That really surprises me. Having to learn the skill of lining up a character to an enemy... I can't even comprehend it.
  • I think I'll be in the minority here, but I'm going to say Majora's Mask.
  • edited December 2006
    I liked Zelda 2 best. That had so many more RPG and action elements than the first one. It was very fun.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Now that I've finished Twilight Princess I can post in this thread.

My favorite Zelda is Link's Awakening. It will always have a special place in my heart, I don't know why, but it was probably the Zelda I most enjoyed. Now if only I had a Game Boy that could still play it... and could find my cart of it.
  • Now that I've finished Twilight Princess I can post in this thread.

My favorite Zelda is Link's Awakening. It will always have a special place in my heart, I don't know why, but it was probably the Zelda I most enjoyed. Now if only I had a Game Boy that could still play it... and could find my cart of it.
    An SP or GBA will play it just fine. Try to get the rare DX version with its extra dungeon and colors.
  • Extra colors and dungeon are overrated.
  • Extra colors and dungeon are overrated.
    Even if it's not the greatest dungeon, more is better when it comes to Zelda.
  • In all honesty, I don't really see what's so special about the Zelda franchise. It shares similar dungeon-crawling gameplay that has been used millions of times in other games. Still, while I can easily forget about said "other, similar dungeon-crawling games", Zelda is incredibly captivating. Why is that?
  • I think it has to do with rock solid game mechanics and a mythos that is well established and easy to understand.
  • While I have to give the obligatory props to the oldest school, Zelda 1, my personal favorite is A Link to the Past. It's a very meaty game.
  • Agreed, Link to the Past is my favorite. It had the kind of dark story I crave, and also half a billion dungeons of awesome. Right after that comes Zelda 2, which was difficult, fun, and scary. Twilight Princess isn't my absolute favorite, but I definitely like it more than OoT, Majora's Mask, and the Gameboy Zeldas, so it takes third place.
  • In all honesty, I don't really see what's so special about the Zelda franchise. It shares similar dungeon-crawling gameplay that has been used millions of times in other games. Still, while I can easily forget about said "other, similar dungeon-crawling games", Zelda is incredibly captivating. Why is that?
    It's a lot more puzzley then many other dungeon crawlers. People tend to lump it into the RPG category but I've always thought of it as more an action adventure game. I think it has more in common with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (puzzle to overcome followed by a room of baddies followed by another puzzle) than, say, Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Cramit's right, though. After beating Twilight Princess and seeing the Zelda retrospective on Game Trailers I started following some online forums about the Zelda timeline. Interesting stuff if you're the type to get into that sort of thing. And I am...
  • Yeah that Game Trailers thing really got me thinking. I've had it in the back of my mind the entire time I was playing Twilight Princess. It might be fun to start a thread here to discuss it, since this thread seems like a bad place for spoilers.
  • I think it has to do with rock solid game mechanics and a mythos that is well established and easy to understand.
    Actually, I found the game captivating even without knowing/understanding a single thing about the underlying storyline...

• It's a lot more puzzley then many other dungeon crawlers. People tend to lump it into the RPG category but I've always thought of it as more an action adventure game. I think it has more in common with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (puzzle to overcome followed by a room of baddies followed by another puzzle) than, say, Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
    Yeah, I'm with that. The basic model that makes Zelda fun has been there since LoZ. It's all about anticipation, items and thinking. You see a dock, but you can't do anything with it right now. You know it's there for something, but you don't know what. Eventually you get the raft, oh boy! You get some bombs, you know you can use them to kill lots of enemies. Suddenly you realize you can use them to open secrets, oh boy! You get a candle, you know you can use it to light up dark dungeons, but then you burn a tree, oh boy! You get the whistle, which helps you warp easily. Then you realize you use it to open secrets, oh boy!

You will see that same model carry through every Zelda game right up to Twilight Princess. You start the game confined to a very small area and are given a very small number of items. Items are synonymous with abilities in the Zelda universe. First, you are given the most basic abilities and you must master them one at a time to travel to a wider and wider area and get more rewards. Eventually you will master enough items and abilities to open up this incredibly huge world. All that started with being essentially naked in a village.

It's not just that you get more abilities and use them to get to bigger areas. It's that the abilities are somewhat open-ended. It's not as simple as getting the blue key and suddenly being able to access the blue areas. Let's say you get the boomerang. Well, now you can beat bad guys who were weak to it. Now you can retrieve items you could not previously retrieve. Now you can open doors controlled by windmills. What makes it fun is that not every use of the items is immediately obvious. You constantly travel to all sorts of new places in the world discovering new things. You will come across new challenges and are teased by ever-increasing treasures. Sometimes you do need a new item to get something, but most often you simply have to think about how to achieve your goal by using your existing abilities in a new and interesting way.

The Metroid series follows the same pattern. The first Metroid didn't really so much, but Super Metroid definitely took a lot of game design hints from Zelda. Metroid Prime and the 3D Zeldas are incredibly similar from a game-design perspective. They're not the same game by any means, but they are both fun for a lot of the same reasons. Look, I got the spider ball, look at me go to this new area!

I've always thought there should be an MMO that follows this game design principle. It would have no leveling. How long you played would not determine how well you did. All that would matter is what items you had and how cleverly you used them. The trick is that to make it interesting in an MMO you have to have lots and lots of items in a big big world. You definitely need something like the Source engine that allows for physically accurate manipulation of many real-world objects.
  • My fav is the original, followed closely by Link to the Past.
  • edited December 2006
    Link to the Past, mostly for the puzzles linking to and from the Dark World. Navigating said puzzles to collect all three of the spell medallions (the Bombos(?) Ether and Quake) along with warping between worlds to gather the final heart pieces were the most fun. No to mention eleven+ dungeons.

Ocarina of Time comes in second for the time being, simply because it was a revolutionary step in gaming design. I say this because no other game could reproduce three-dimensional worlds as vividly as OoT until the Dreamcast (correct me if I'm wrong) and retain classic Zelda puzzles and elements.
    Post edited by jwallace on
  • I like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Minish Cap(which is a very underrated game), and Twilight Princess, but there is a special place in my heart for the original Zelda.
  • The whole Legend of Zelda series is my favorite game series of all time except those crap Phillips media "Wand of Gamelon" CD-Is.

Legend of Zelda ftw!