This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Name That Quote!

RymRym
edited December 2006 in Forum Game
Who said the following?

"Trying to eliminate Saddam .. would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible ... We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq ...there was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our principles.

Furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land."

Comments

• The full, unedited quote:

"Trying to eliminate Saddam, extending the ground war into an occupation of Iraq, would have violated our guideline about not changing objectives in midstream, engaging in "mission creep," and would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible. We had been unable to find Noriega in Panama, which we knew intimately. We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq. The coalition would instantly have collapsed, the Arabs deserting it in anger and other allies pulling out as well. Under the circumstances, there was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our principles.

Furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land. It would have been a dramatically different — and perhaps barren — outcome."
  • George Bush Senior, am I right?
  • Duh, you did, Rym. Just now.
  • I agree with SniperDragon, George H W Bush is the source of the quote.
  • It is indeed.

Now, one of my favourites from American history. While it is not known whether or not he actually said these words, his actions certainly spoke of the sentiment.

"John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it."
  • Ah, this one's tough. It's either John Adams or Andrew Jackson. I'm leaning much more towards the latter.
  • I'm pretty sure its Andrew Jackson, in regards to supreme court justice John Marshall's decision to rule in favor of the Native Americans keeping their land rather than the government being able to just take it. Jackson was a dick and decided to just take the land anyway because he had an army.
  • Correct again. ^_^

Now a more difficult one. I altered the (translated) wording to confound googling. ^_~

"Purple makes the best burial shroud."
  • Was it Zeno?
  • edited December 2006
    Caesar or Brutus? I think it might have something to do with the whole assassination of Caesar and as said by one of the conspirators or something.
    Post edited by NinjaNed on
  • You're on the right track, but she came later than any of them.
  • Theaodora?
  • Ding ding ding!

Theodora, co-ruler of the Eastern Roman Empire, used these words to convince her husband Emperor Justinian I to, in the face of the Nika riots, stand his ground and crush the rioters. He abandoned his planned escape from the capitol and went on to have one of the longest and most prosperous reigns in the history of the empire.
  • I was going to say Prince.
  • You altered the wording? I put it into google word for word as you have it, and Theo came up for a whole bunch of results on the first page. I think if you wiki or google it you're cheating, though.
  • Who said:

"Relationships are hard. It's like a full-time job, and we should treat it like one. If your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to leave you, they should give you two weeks' notice. There should beseverance pay, and before they leave you, they should have to find you a temp."
  • Name that quote sucks. It's time for name that beard.
  • edited December 2006
    Here's one that a little more recent:

"soldiers are the only people that die for a living"

edit: Sorry, fixed my dumb spelling error.
    Post edited by NinjaNed on
  • Here's one that a little more recent:

"Solders are the only people that die for a living"
    Would that be people who use soldering irons???
  • Okay, first off I have to admit that I cheated and went to Google. *hangs head in shame*

But "soldiers are the only people that die for a living" has only one result .... this forum thread.