This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm going to have to kill someone at my web hosting company

edited December 2006 in Technology
This is the third time this week I have suffered a debilitating db error!!!

The worst thing is that I can't access my website tools from work because the corporation blocks everything but port 80!

So, I go over to the library for lunch to fix my db and the web server is so bogged down that I can't do anything!!!

I've just wasted an hour to repair one table. I can't even run a check to see what tables are corrupted!!!

I'm looking for a new hosting company, I can't take this anymore...

Comments

• If it cheers you any, Slashdot is reporting that a Firefox 3 alpha is in development.
  • How does this happen to people? I manage many MySQL databases. We have the one on the hosting that runs this forum, the one in the house, and more than two at work. None of them ever have any problems like this. Also, I never put myself out of reach of my essential services for long periods of time. You need to setup Hamachi or something to make sure you can always access your servers, and make sure you always have a failsafe way of accessing them under any circumstance.
  • I can always take a 15 minute break, walk two minutes to the library, log in and fix the db errors.

In this case... I spent an hour but was repeatedly logged out our timed out of the server!

Under normal circumstances I can fix the trouble in a couple of minutes. I can't fix it when they have the server down "being worked on"!!! To make matters worse, no where on their website can you find the status of a server!

I think I just ended up on a bad shared server. They offered to move me to a different server, but at a price! You don't wreck some one's car then offer them a deal on a news one!

The only db that ever has problems is the one for my blog, the other three are fine. It's always one of two db's that get corrupted.

One of them is the visitor table. If the server goes down in the middle of a transaction it breaks. Because everything uses that table for tracking visitors and what they do if it breaks the site will not work.

The other table is the one where my entries are stored. Today, the server went down while I was in the middle of updating an entry...

For the longest time (before I started blogging) my site had very low traffic, between 50 and 100 hits a day bunched within a few hours of time. Now, I get several thousand hits a day and I'm beginning to realize that the blogging software I chose may not be up to the task. I've already had to empty the visitor table when it passed the 85K entries mark!

What's holding me back from switching to something else is that I still get a very steady stream of visitors via StumbleUpon and Google. If the blog URLs change all of that traffic will go away as they will get 404 errors...
  • This appears to be an issue unique to shared hosting.

When I ran the site for Kenzer & Company I very rarely (twice a year) had a database issue.

One issue was a corruption in the visitor table for the store and the other was when the main post table in our forums was lost...

The first trouble was fixed in 1 minute, the second required finding the backups and restoring from them. The bad part about it was that the db error happened just before the nightly backup routine....
  • If the server is going down, that is a problem that should not happen. However, your tables should also not be corrupted no matter when the server goes down. I can start a tremendous query on a server and cut the power completely before the query completes. It won't mess up the server at all. Why not? SQL TRANSACTIONS my friend.
  • I have no control over the SQL server or how they choose to run it, hence one of the reasons I'm moving on!
  • I have no control over the SQL server or how they choose to run it, hence one of the reasons I'm moving on!
    Oh, shits. That's no good. Yeah, I would never get hosting where I was not in complete control over everything. Unless of course I really trusted whoever was running things. That's just not likely.
  • edited December 2006
    I use 1and1.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2006
    I run a website for my aunt with 1 and 1, and I'm pleased with it so far.
    Post edited by Rym on