This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061214 - The Barge

2»

Comments

• I think the problem is that diamonds are bad at what they purport to do. They're extremely (artificially) expensive, and are an obligation for most members of our society. On a cost/benefit scale, diamonds are one of the worst possible ways to look good.

In general, so is store-bought "authentic" jewelry. Non-precious replicas look just as good at a price orders of magnitude lower.

Diamonds are a fool's game. ;^)
  • yea I think I spent about 600 dollars total on rings in my wedding, not that either of us wear them :-p (plus I'm not counting the 270 dollar engagement ring that was lost but we had a warranty on so got the money for it and never replaced it :-p
  • Rym said:

I think the problem is that diamonds are bad at what they purport to do. They're extremely (artificially) expensive, and are an obligation for most members of our society. On a cost/benefit scale, diamonds are one of the worst possible ways to look good.

It's just a way to displace your assets the way I see it. And if you get some enjoyment out of carrying those assets around why not do so? I also remember you saying something along the lines of people that you work with or work around you having Rolex watches simple for the fashion.

I mean, I don't like the idea of displaying wealth to define a social status, but I don't really care if other people do it. Even if my girlfriend was into doing that I wouldn't really care.
  • It doesn't displace the assets: it destroys them. Diamonds have almost zero secondary market. Owning one is like burning that money and buying a cubic zirconia.
  • That sorta blows my mind. I though you were wrong but apparently the price does depreciate quite a bit.

I guess I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to buy a diamond ring or something.
  • edited July 2014
    Apreche said:

Sorry, I'm not so concerned with wanting to look good that I will put in the time and effort to defend something I typed 8 years ago.

Wow, apparently I need more coffee today.

EDIT: Also yes, diamonds are bullshit. Jewelry is less so. Both are shitty shitty investments. Might as well invest in Magic cards or something.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Apreche said:

Sorry, I'm not so concerned with wanting to look good that I will put in the time and effort to defend something I typed 8 years ago.

Wow, apparently I need more coffee today.

EDIT: Also yes, diamonds are bullshit. Jewelry is less so. Both are shitty shitty investments. Might as well invest in Magic cards or something.
    You know, M:TG cards are actually more useful!
  • Cremlian said:

yea I think I spent about 600 dollars total on rings in my wedding, not that either of us wear them :-p (plus I'm not counting the 270 dollar engagement ring that was lost but we had a warranty on so got the money for it and never replaced it :-p

Damn, you've got me completely one-upped. My wife brags to others about how I got her a very nice-looking ring set for $1,200. Costco! But you have achieved a new level of frugalness.

I have to admit, when I hear of coworkers, friends, etc., spending $7,000 on a ring, it does lower my opinion of both people in the relationship. Yeah, it's their right. Yeah, I'm gonna judge.

• If you focus on the price then yeah I kinda question your motives. But if you're like check out this dope ring it looks awesome but it also cost $5000 then I find it less questionable. I spent a bunch of money on some cool ass Timberland dress boots that I barely wear. But when I do wear them, they look awesome.
  • Matt said:

Cremlian said:

yea I think I spent about 600 dollars total on rings in my wedding, not that either of us wear them :-p (plus I'm not counting the 270 dollar engagement ring that was lost but we had a warranty on so got the money for it and never replaced it :-p

Damn, you've got me completely one-upped. My wife brags to others about how I got her a very nice-looking ring set for $1,200. Costco! But you have achieved a new level of frugalness.

I have to admit, when I hear of coworkers, friends, etc., spending $7,000 on a ring, it does lower my opinion of both people in the relationship. Yeah, it's their right. Yeah, I'm gonna judge.
    He is a master of money, I go to him for financial planning. :P
  • So how many love points is Jason up to now?
  • Well, each child subtracts a hundred...
  • Matt said:

What about a bespoke handmade set that was made by the couple? I've seen a few of those going around of late.

• When my friend got married last year they had their rings tattooed onto their fingers.
  • HMTKSteve said:

When my friend got married last year they had their rings tattooed onto their fingers.

You mean, right there? Or did they do it at some point outside of whatever ceremony they had going on?
  • edited July 2014
    Churba said:

HMTKSteve said:

When my friend got married last year they had their rings tattooed onto their fingers.

You mean, right there? Or did they do it at some point outside of whatever ceremony they had going on?
    That I do not know, I will have to ask him.

It was his third attempt at getting married. The first two women bailed on him after he paid all of the deposits but just close enough to the wedding day that he could not get the deposit money back. His actual wedding ended up on the cheap side and only involved family.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • They had the ring tats done on their honeymoon.
  • Ah, that makes sense. Not generally the sort of thing you'd have done at the ceremony, even if purely for time constraints.