This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What are you top 5 Favorite Sci-Fi schows ?

edited December 2006 in Everything Else
So, I decided to start this discussion because of last Mondays comments about Sci-fi shows:
Mine are:
Firefly
Battlestar Galactica
Doctor Who
Heroes
The X-Files

Comments

• Battlestar Galactica (the new one)
    Twilight Zone (from the 60s)
    Twilight Zone (from the 80s)
    Amazing Stories
    Star Trek TOS

Honorable Mentions to:
    Brisco County, Jr.
    WIld WIld West
  • edited December 2006
    I am going to have to say (in no particular order):
    Doctor Who
    Mystery Science Theater
    Star Trek TNG
    Twilight Zone (Rod Serling version)
    Babylon 5
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • Firefly
    Mystery Science Theater 3000
    Stargate SG-1
    The X-Files
    Cowboy Bebop (it counts right?)
  • Battlestar Galatica
    Firefly
    Heroes
    Doctor Who
    Stargate SG-1
  • edited December 2006
    1. Twilight Zone
    2. Some X-Files
    3. TBA
    4. TBA
    5. TBA
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • OK, take the phrase "Watch Heroes". Now imagine I said it to you like 17.4 bajillion times. That's exactly how much I recommend this series. I'm more excited about that show than I was about Firefly back in the day, and my enthusiasm for Firefly sold it to at least twenty people I know.

Watch Heroes.
  • yeah Heroes is pretty aawesome
  • If it is really any good the network will kill it within two seasons. After that I'll catch the whole series in a dvd set.
  • 1) Farscape
    2) Stargate SG-1
    3) The new Battlestar Galactica
    4) Firefly
    5) The new Doctor Who
  • 1) Firefly (big Surprise)
    2) Heroes (tied)
    2) The new Battlestar Galactica (tied)
    3) Sliders (first 2 seasons)
    4) Greatest American hero
    5) Brisco County Jr.
  • If it is really any good the network will kill it within two seasons. After that I'll catch the whole series in a dvd set.
    It's not on Fox so it might be safe. BTW, if you haven't seen it yet you can watch all the back episodes on NBC's website for free. Maybe not as good a quality as the torrents but a bit easier.
  • thats kind of cool...and legal...weird; somebody at NBC "gets" the internet.
  • 1. New Battlestar Glactica
    2. Heroes
    3. Sliders
    4. Farscape
    5. Firefly
  • 1) Firefly
    2) New Battlestar Galactica
    3) Heroes
    4) Star Trek: The Next Generation
    5) Ocean Girl (old series on the Disney Channel)
  • Firefly
    BSG
    FarScape
    Lost (watch it tell me it's not sci-fi!)
    Sliders (season one only, after they brought in the other girl, killed the doctor and the "brother" it went down hill fast)

If there is a single collection of stories I would love to see become a Sci-Fi show it would be Heinlein's "Future History" collection.
  • In no particular order:

Firefly
    MST: 3k
    Star Trek: TNG
    Red Dwarf
    The X-Files
  • edited December 2006
    1) Star Trek (All exept Voyager)
    2) Buffy
    3) Angel
    4) Battlestar
    5) Firefly
    Post edited by Rob From the Army on
  • 1) Star Trek (All exept Voyager)
    Even Enterprise? Tsk Tsk, Voyager was better than that shit.
  • Grr! I had to restart my modem and I lost my post! How annoying, anyway here it is again not in any particular order.

1. new Battlestar (although I do enjoy the old one)
    2. The X Files (except the later seasons, I stopped watching after Mulder's sister turned up floating around her midwife's lawn. Eight years and that is the best you can do! Come on!)
    3. Lost (although it will be removed from the list if the ending pisses me off)
    4. Red Dwarf
    5. Stargate SG1

I haven't watched much Babylon 5 but I am informed that I will enjoy it.
  • edited December 2006
    I'm with Scott - TBA. There really haven't been that many worthwhile pure sci-fi shows on the air. Star Trek: The Next Generation was the superior one, but most others are a) fantasy (i.e., Lost, Heros, Buffy) b) based on a sci-fi pretext without actually being sci-fi (i.e., Mystery Science Theater 3000), or c) so low budget I can't fathom watching them (Earth: Final Conflict, Andromeda, and yes, even Stargate SG-1).

There have been notable standouts -- I loved what few episodes of Farscape I had opportunity to see, we can all mourn Firefly's untimely demise, and seasons 1-4 (the only good seasons) of the X-Files fit a unique quasi-sci-fi-but-really-conspiracy-satire-drama sub-genre.

I've never watched a single episode of Battlestar simply because when it came out my attention was elsewhere and I've been too lazy to download it. And sorry, Scott, but the Twilight Zone is not ftw because any fan of sci-fi books has seen those old plots recycled a billion times in better ways.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • My list is too long...may I extend the listing to 10?
  • My list is too long...may I extend the listing to 10?
    No.

• I've never watched a single episode of Battlestar
    I HIGHLY recommend this show. (I just finished Season 2 last night) It's fraking awesome. The mini-series is sorta slow and is a lot of set up but once you get into the TV series. It doesn't slow down.
  • Firefly and Battlestar Galactica are both most excellent.

I loved SG-1, but I did so not in spite of it being bad, but because of it. SG-1 was a show where all the characters acted like they knew they were in a show. "Hey, let's go fuck shit up in some other world and come out ok at the last second! Again!"

Sliders was good... for almost one season. It amazes me to this day how quickly that show ran itself into the ground, continuing until it melted into the very core of the Earth.

The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits (the original, not the remake) were fantastic. A lot of those ideas work very well in short story or television episode format, but fail if extended too far into a novel or movie. These shows excelled at what they did.

I couldn't stand Buffy/Angel/etc...

MST3k was gold. Pure gold. Albert Vitti Permitee haunts me to this day. I said it out loud questioningly at the EXACT moment that they did...

TNG was good when I was a kid, but it's actually pretty bad now that I'm older and wiser. Voyager was awesome for exactly .4 seasons. TOS was good, but not in a Sci-Fi way.
  • TNG was good when I was a kid, but it's actually pretty bad now that I'm older and wiser.
    Sinner.

OMG I have an unholy love for MST3K, which was precipitated by the fact that my friends and I used to sit around doing the same shit to television shows before the series was popular.
    My favorite line of all time came from the Pod People episode: "Mother Theresa called... She hates you."