This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• I kept hearing about how good Berserk was, and yeah, it's goddamn expensive -- so I read maybe the first couple of volumes in scanlations. I don't know, man, I wasn't into it. Does it get good later? Or is it just not for me?
    The story definitely develops later, and then Miura starts drawing these fucking crazy landscape battles with insane detail.
    Sanctuary
    FFFFFFFFFFFF-- I have been looking everywhere for Sanctuary. Amazon turns up volumes in either the hundreds of dollars or with inscrutable names like "Sanctuary #6 Part Three."
  • I found the first volume at PMX last year in a discount box. Snatched that shit up.
  • edited October 2010
    There's a set of all 12 on eBay right now for $80. I want that shit so badly but I should definitely not spend that money.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've seen scans of it.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, print copies come and go and something that good *should* get a reprint. Eventually. One would hope.

EDIT-- I suppose it's worth extending the offer: If any of you guys don't have room for massive amount of books/want extra moneys/just want to help a brother out, I would totally buy a Sanctuary set from anyone on the boards that has one. The only reason I can't get that eBay one is because I don't have the money yet.

EDIT2-- The eBay one is all Japanese. Glad I didn't buy it.
  • Hey, the Incal! Timo lent us those a while back. Pretty good.
  • Did he have English versions, or were you reading them in French?
    I can't remember where Koholint recommended this, but in case you missed it, it is awesome.
  • edited October 2010
    But Ryan also does Nickolodeon magazine strips, so whatever.
    I remember hearing, back when I used to listen to the SEQAlab podcast, about how Nickelodeon Magazine employed a lot of hip indie cartoonists. It's dead now, right?
    Yeah. I used to subscribe when I was a little kid; it was more or less my only regular comic exposure that wasn't either European in origin (Asterix and Tintin were some of my favorites) or introduced in television form (no comic book shop in my town growing up). Looking back, it was as if early MAD had a baby with RAW with the material age-shifted for kid sensibilities.

Nickelodeon has a really good history with its animators. KaBlam! had work by Kaz, Spongebob also has Kaz and a host of other big names from the more indie comic scene, Kricfalusi had Ren & Stimpy, and the list continues. James Kolchalka did work for the magazine, apparently, which explains why Superfuckers! always looked so goddamn familiar to me and I never knew why. The Comic Book in Nick Magazine was the business.
  • Yeah. I used to subscribe when I was a little kid; it was more or less my only regular comic exposure that wasn't either european in origin or introduced in television form (no comic book shop in my town growing up). Looking back, it was as if early MAD had a baby with RAW with the material age-shifted for kid sensibilities.
    That sounds awesome. So, I never got it straight what your story is -- did you grow up in Spain, or what?

Also, I think I'm gonna have to check out some Kochalka stuff. I'm putting some on my Amazon list.
  • So, I never got it straight what your story is -- did you grow up in Spain, or what?
    Nah, the US. I'm a first-generation American, though; my dad is Spanish and Colombian (I've got EU dual-citizenship). He had all these volumes of Asterix and Tintin when he was a kid, and learned to read on those the same way a lot of American kids his age did on old Marvel and DC stuff. So, when it became apparent that I was reading at a level far beyond most other kids my age around preschool or kindergarten, he went out and found the early album-sized translations of Tintin for me to gnosh on, and we read them together. The TV series was around then, too, so it was REALLY awesome for little me to read Red Rackham's Treasure and then watch it and tie everything together. Around 3rd grade, Asterix started getting translated, and I started reading those for fun. I got into manga in 7th grade after starting anime in sixth, and 8th grade brought all of the American classics.

I'm waiting to get enough money to buy the complete Tintin hardcovers. Those books were my bread and butter growing up.
  • edited October 2010
    I just read the Solanin collection from Viz, which was a gift from my mom. I really enjoyed it, although halfway through it takes a surprisingly sad turn. It was one of those comics that felt very much like the lives of real people, and the art style was really up my alley. I think I am going to seek out the movie. (Also, the writer/artist is about my age. God, does that make me feel unproductive!)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • This passed week I read Blacksad, Crogan's March and Atomic Robo Vol. 4 on the commute to work. All of which were great, but especially Blacksad, which is just genius.
  • Marvel's doing another series of Strange Tales that were on the show a while back and just based on the first issue, it's much better overall than the first one.
  • Marvel's doing another series of Strange Tales that were on the show a while back and just based on the first issue, it's much better overall than the first one.
    I know, it has Kate Beaton.
  • I know, it has Kate Beaton.
    Her's is really good, and so is Perry Bible Fellowship guy's (his is one of the best) but the overall quality of the whole book is much higher.
  • I just finished reading 100% by Paul Pope, which was pretty damn good. My absolute awe at his visual storytelling abilities may bias me a bit, though. It's billed as a sci-fi story, but really it's about a few interconnected love-stories. You could probably remove the sci-fi elements completely and tell pretty much the same story, but Paul Pope likes sci-fi and I'm not complaining.

I also read his Batman Year 100 a while back, which was also really good. As far as I can tell, everything he does reads like an awesome movie.
  • Chinatsu no Uta is so good. It doesn't just give you back your childhood, it injects it straight into your face.
  • Mummo (Grandma) is a brand new Finnish comic (sadly only in Finnish, but that is what you get for not knowing Finnish):
  • Mummo(Grandma) is a brand new Finnish comic (sadly only in Finnish, but that is what you get for not knowing Finnish):
    Looks awesome. Translate the shit out of that, Timo.
  • edited November 2010
    Looks awesome. Translate the shit out of that, Timo.
    Oh mans, don't remind me, I'm a year late in translating some other Finnish comics for Scrym already... oh well maybe one freebie:
    1) I done bought me on of them push up braws!
    2) I'll look like Pamela Andersson in no time. [roll roll]
    3) Weeeell, I've alwayse wanter bigger bags under my eyes...
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I picked up the first volume of Bakuman yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm getting a little bit of Hikaru no Go deja-vu from it for some reason, but that's okay because I adored Hikaru no Go.
  • I picked up the first volume of Bakuman yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm getting a little bit of Hikaru no Go deja-vu from it for some reason, but that's okay because I adored Hikaru no Go.
    Same artist much?
  • I know it's the same artist, but I meant story-wise.
  • I know it's the same artist, but I meant story-wise.
    Well, it's a pretty formulaic genre no matter who is writing it.

I will be the best at X! Let us learn about X while having dramatic situations involving X! X being sports, fighting, manga, Go, etc.
  • edited November 2010
    Does anyone know if Hopeless Savages worth checking out? I flipped through one of the compilations at the bookstore today and saw some art by Bryan Lee O'Malley, almost bought it just because of that.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2010
    Dark Horse's Blacksad edition is back in print, in case anyone else was waiting. I just got mine -- can't wait to read it. I flipped through it a bit, and the art makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Has anyone read Doorways? It's a new comic from IDW by George R R Martin (the Game of Thrones guy). Got into a discussion w/ my boss last week about Game of Thrones and once he realized I'm a fan, I now have to write 1 post per week on something related to George R R Martin (I think he is predicting the guy's stock blowing up once the HBO series hits). In any case, I'm gonna start reading these, just curious to know if anyone else has.
  • Say what you will about Charles Burns, but X'ed Out is looking fucking fantastic.
  • Just read The Shepard's Tale. Definitely the first of the Firefly comics that I actually enjoyed as much as an episode of the show.