This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Just read the first 10 issues of The Darkness.

I actually quite enjoyed it. It it worth reading?

What about Witchblade?
  • I got Carnage USA the other day. It was, "Hey let's all make fun of the Thing".
  • This one is often recommended but I'll throw my support in as well. I'm up to volume for of Locke & Key and these books are a must-read. Top-notch story, top-notch art.
  • This one is often recommended but I'll throw my support in as well. I'm up to volume for of Locke & Key and these books are a must-read. Top-notch story, top-notch art.
    I agree. I just need to read the most recent issue that came out a week ago. The art is really good.

I'd rather hear a review of that, or The Incal, or Daytripper than all that new 52 crap, jsut saying.

• Just finished reading How to Understand Israel In 60 Days Or Less by Sarah Glidden. Great autobiographical comic of a girl's first trip to Israel in her 20's and trying to learn more about the "situation" without succumbing to all the propaganda.
  • Just finished reading How to Understand Israel In 60 Days Or Less by Sarah Glidden. Great autobiographical comic of a girl's first trip to Israel in her 20's and trying to learn more about the "situation" without succumbing to all the propaganda.
    What the hell is Michael Sorrentino doing in Israel?
  • Brian K. Vaughan's got a new book series out called Saga. Looks to be magic vs. science on a galactic scale. First issue was pretty good.
  • Brian K. Vaughan's got a new book series out called Saga. Looks to be magic vs. science on a galactic scale. First issue was pretty good.
    WFTT (Waitin' For The Trade)
  • edited March 2012
    NPR's 6 Graphic Novels That Will Draw You In. Habibi is on that list. I've only read half of it, and from what I've read I have really enjoyed.
    I only read half at a store and only left the store because I HAD to go to work. I really need that comic. It was all the rage at the last SPX.
    Brian K. Vaughan's got a new book series out called Saga. Looks to be magic vs. science on a galactic scale. First issue was pretty good.
    WFTT (Waitin' For The Trade)
    Totally going to steal WFTT from ya.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited March 2012
    I pity the fool who don't pre-order this mother.

Blacksad: A Silent Hell
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Reading Atomic Robo. Good times. I really like how it's not a robot trying to be human. It's just a robot being a super robot, saving the world and dealing with a lot of the stupidity that comes with it.
  • Reading Atomic Robo. Good times. I really like how it's not a robot trying to be human. It's just a robot being a super robot, saving the world and dealing with a lot of the stupidity that comes with it.
    I've heard good things about Atomic Robo as well, but also that's it's basically Hellboy with a robot.

• edited March 2012
    I have been meaning to read it, and if he has the kind of snarky, resigned personality like Hellboy (my favorite super hero) that makes me even more enthusiastic.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Robo's not resigned at all. He's very full of...pep? I think pep's a good word for it.
  • I pity the fool who don't pre-order this mother.

Blacksad: A Silent Hell
    It took almost two years, but the wait will be definitely worth it!
  • I read comics too quickly. Both Walking Dead and DMZ are read up to the latest issue.
  • Just finished reading Stuff of Legend Book 3: A Jester's Tale. This graphic novel is still holding up to my expectations. Jester is my favorite character.

I would love to see this made into a short animated series with similar art style. I doubt it would happen, but you never know.
  • Just finished reading Stuff of Legend Book 3: A Jester's Tale. This graphic novel is still holding up to my expectations. Jester is my favorite character.

I would love to see this made into a short animated series with similar art style. I doubt it would happen, but you never know.
    Is Volume 3 out in trade yet or did you read the single issues?
  • edited May 2012
    The trade has been out since March.

I tend to wait for trades and rarely get single issues of anything. There was also a nice FCBD short with it. It was pretty cool too.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure you also like Amulet. Volume 5 comes out in September, fyi.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • OMG... where have I been? Thanks, I need to get volume 3 of Stuff of Legend ASAP.

Also, thanks for the additional info about Amulet. I love it, but kind of made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy any more comics until I made more of a dent on the unread ones I already have (with special exceptions).
  • edited May 2012
    OMG... where have I been? Thanks, I need to get volume 3 of Stuff of Legend ASAP.

Also, thanks for the additional info about Amulet. I love it, but kind of made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy any more comics until I made more of a dent on the unread ones I already have (with special exceptions).
    P'sshaw! You know that Kazu Kibiushi has a Kickstarter for his first comic, Daisy Kutter? You should totally back it. I did. ;-)

Plus, you kind of owe me because you linked Fairy Quest in the Kickstarter thread and I totally backed that. They are very close to their goal too!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Not sure if i talked about it here, but I recommend Anya's Ghost. A story about a ghost helping a high schooler with after she finds the ghost in a well. It doesn't sound like much, but the theme of national identity in a very anglo environment along with admitting faults with a kick ass ghost story made this my instant favorite.

Plus the art is cute. Kinda like Scott Pilgrim and Euro comics.
  • I saw that in the comic shop the other day and was so close to buying it.
  • OMG... where have I been? Thanks, I need to get volume 3 of Stuff of Legend ASAP.

P'sshaw! You know that Kazu Kibiushi has a Kickstarter for his first comic, Daisy Kutter? You should totally back it. I did. ;-)

Plus, you kind of owe me because you linked Fairy Quest in the Kickstarter thread and I totally backed that. They are very close to their goal too!
    I already backed Daisy Kutter. So much for my vow. Also, I had some credit at Amazon so I ordered Gotham Central vols 3 + 4, as well as the new reprint of Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid.

Currently, I'm reading vol. 11 of 100 Bullets. I've been slowly making my way through the entire series and I love it. Probably the best crime/noir comic I've ever read.
  • edited May 2012
    edit: hey.... this isn't the books thread...

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh....

Vagabond. That's a good comic... wait, that's a manga.

Er..

uh...

Hellboy!

/runs
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited May 2012
    I just learned about this! Must have.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I just learned about this! Must have.
    I had it. It's meh. Concept seems awesome. Comic isn't actually that awesome. Matt Fraction is crazy overrated. Lots of people seem to love everything he touches, but everything I've read by him has been meh or crap. He's a really cool guy, though.
  • I just learned about this! Must have.
    I had it. It's meh. Concept seems awesome. Comic isn't actually that awesome. Matt Fraction is crazy overrated. Lots of people seem to love everything he touches, but everything I've read by him has been meh or crap. He's a really cool guy, though.
    I agree, not worth it.
  • Thanks, will borrow instead of buy.
  • I recently read Shenzhen by Guy Delisle. It's a fantastic autobiography on an animator's trip to China. I plan on reading his other books like Pyongyang.