This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Just shotgunned nimona; that was a spectacular time.

(It's written by Noelle Stevenson, who is on the team for lumberjanes; I believe I know what I am reading next)
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • belkalra said:

Just shotgunned nimona; that was a spectacular time.

(It's written by Noelle Stevenson, who is on the team for lumberjanes; I believe I know what I am reading next)

Nimona is amazing. I've been meaning to actually read all of it for a long time now. Maybe this begins tonight.

• Fun fact: Riverdale is based on my dad's hometown of Haverhill, Massachusetts.
  • edited January 2015
    Neito said:

Fun fact: Riverdale is based on my dad's hometown of Haverhill, Massachusetts.

Hopefully not the part about how they've essentially been in the 50s for the last 35 years.

Also, Dan Slott's Superior Spider Man is honestly really good. It's a two-for-one tired trope combo, the hero is dead, and the whole freaky Friday body swapping thing, but they manage to keep it fresh and interesting, and tell a pretty good story with it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's just a feature of Massachusetts in general.
  • Just read the third volume of Hawkeye, which finally came out. Series is still great! And moving in interesting direction.

Time to catch up on Saga now that a new volume is out, but I just checked out six volumes of Powers from the library.

In other news, the kid and I are reading Donald Duck comics before bed now, the original Carl Banks ones.
  • Matt said:

Just read the third volume of Hawkeye, which finally came out. Series is still great! And moving in interesting direction.

Time to catch up on Saga now that a new volume is out, but I just checked out six volumes of Powers from the library.

In other news, the kid and I are reading Donald Duck comics before bed now, the original Carl Banks ones.

It's Carl Barks, not Carl Banks.
  • You mean the linebacker from the Giants didn't draw Donald Duck? Fuck I'm gonna have to read up on this stuff.
  • Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is looking so great from just the first issue. Dat Ryan North action~

• Eryn said:

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is looking so great from just the first issue. Dat Ryan North action~

I picked up the first issue yesterday. Loved it so far! Very eager for more.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm reading through the last book of the Parker series by Darwyn Cooke. Slayground has some insane print quality, book lay out and delivers the (last?) of the Paker stories that has been translated to the comics medium.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

I'm reading through the last book of the Parker series by Darwyn Cooke. Slayground has some insane print quality, book lay out and delivers the (last?) of the Paker stories that has been translated to the comics medium.

I'm pretty sure at the end, there's a message to the reader saying that Parker will return in 2015. There are a TON of Parker novels out there, so Cooke can keep on putting these out as long as he wants.
  • edited January 2015

sK0pe said:

I'm pretty sure at the end, there's a message to the reader saying that Parker will return in 2015. There are a TON of Parker novels out there, so Cooke can keep on putting these out as long as he wants.
    SPOILERS lol
    That's great, I will keep buying as many as he puts out, they are great stories and his Cooke has been insistent on making a quality product.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Apreche said:

First four pages of Descender. Yes, please.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=25548

Image just keeps hitting it out of the park with all the awesome books they're putting out.
  • Less so Image and more the creators. Image is run on creators owning what they make, earning more and having the rights to the content produced.
    If you have awesome ideas and have a name or a good enough pitch you can go straight past the smaller indie publishers and get published by Image.
    I've been out of the loop on comics business stuff for a few years now. What happened to Vertigo and Icon (DC and Marvel's creator owned imprints)?
    The last mind blowing series I got from Vertigo was Jason Aaron's Scalped.
  • sK0pe said:

Less so Image and more the creators. Image is run on creators owning what they make, earning more and having the rights to the content produced.
    If you have awesome ideas and have a name or a good enough pitch you can go straight past the smaller indie publishers and get published by Image.
    I've been out of the loop on comics business stuff for a few years now. What happened to Vertigo and Icon (DC and Marvel's creator owned imprints)?
    The last mind blowing series I got from Vertigo was Jason Aaron's Scalped.

Of course it's the creators that put out the books, but Image gives them a home and a place for them to put out their awesome books. I'm giving Image credit for picking up these books, publishing them, and most importantly, doing a great job at promoting them better than DC ever did with Vertigo, or Marvel does with Icon. There's a reason why all these awesome independent books are being published by Image.

The answer to your question is the second part of why I consider Image so awesome. Vertigo declined because they changed their licensing and rights agreement with the creators, and during the whole "New 52," reincorporated many of the "borderline" DC/Vertigo comics back into the mainstream DC Universe like Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and even the Sandman. It's very telling, and not at all a coincidence, that Karen Berger, the executive editor of the imprint, having overseen it since its inception in 1993, left in 2012, and now we see all these crazy awesome comics at Image. Karen Berger leaving, combined with DC changing its policies in regard to Vertigo caused many of the big name Vertigo creators like Jason Aaron, Brian Wood, Brian K. Vaughn, etc. to jump ship. Compare Image when it was first created in the mid-1990s to what it is now, and you'll understand why I think they're the best and most innovative comic book publisher today.

Image is the new Vertigo.

Here is a great article that pretty much sums up the decline of Vertigo: theweeklycrisis.com/2012/07/vertigo-comics-decline-of-empire.html

It's worth pointing out that the author of this article concludes by stating "Hopefully DC will put Karen Berger to work at what she does best; finding new exciting voices to put out forward thinking comics that we can all enjoy." When Karen Berger left Vertigo later that very same year, many people, myself included, pretty much thought that Vertigo as we knew it, was pretty much dead.

As for Marvel's Icon, it was never that big. For the most part, Icon was a way, and a place, for Marvel writers to put out their own creator-owned vanity comics that didn't fit into the Marvel Universe. It was never that big, and Icon did a horrible job at promoting its books. Most of the Icon writers have moved over to Image as well, with Bendis's Powers being one of the lone exceptions beceause of how many other Marvel titles he writes. Most of the other big name Icon writers, Mark Millar, Matt Fraction, and Ed Brubaker, have, for the most part, jumped ship to Image as well.

• Does Vertigo have anything left besides Fables?
  • edited January 2015
    Apreche said:

Does Vertigo have anything left besides Fables?

Good question. I checked their website, and out of the comics listed there, the only ones that *I* care about, are Fables, American Vampire, Astro City, and Federal Bureau of Physics. Other comics that look interesting, that I haven't personally read, are Hinterkind, the Kitchen, and the Names. I'm not up to date on future Vertigo books. Vertigo really is a shadow of its former self.

Edited to add that the Unwritten is another awesome comic at Vertigo, but like Fables, is ending soon.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • Apreche said:

Good question. I checked their website, and out of the comics listed there, the only ones that *I* care about, are Fables, American Vampire, Astro City, and Federal Bureau of Physics. Other comics that look interesting, that I haven't personally read, are Hinterkind, the Kitchen, and the Names. I'm not up to date on future Vertigo books. Vertigo really is a shadow of its former self.

Edited to add that the Unwritten is another awesome comic at Vertigo, but like Fables, is ending soon.
    Yeah, I think I've got every volume of Unwritten.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Yeah, I think I've got every volume of Unwritten.
    The series ended, and then there was a short follow-up series: The Unwritten: Apocalypse, which is only a 12 issue series. I'm not sure if that has ended yet or not.

• So Vertigo is literally dead, explains why I haven't bought anything from them recently and it has been mostly Image and indie publishers for the last year or so.
  • sK0pe said:

So Vertigo is literally dead, explains why I haven't bought anything from them recently and it has been mostly Image and indie publishers for the last year or so.

If by literally, you mean figuratively, as in creatively, then yes, you are correct.

• Well, Vertigo is actually coming out with something worth reading.

http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/strange-sports-stories-2015/strange-sports-stories-1

Shipping in March.
  • Read all of the second run of Powers, as well as most of the first. God damn their stop-start publication is fucking annoying. I get all my comics from the library, and this made it almost impossible to figure out which "volumes" were individual trades within the larger 30-issue runs (themselves referred to as "volumes"). The series has been good but not great. I don't think I will be checking out it's third, or current fourth, "volume."

Meanwhile, Saga 2 and 3... holy shit. Just put a hold on the fourth trade.
  • Apreche said:

Well, Vertigo is actually coming out with something worth reading.

http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/strange-sports-stories-2015/strange-sports-stories-1

Shipping in March.

That looks amazing.
    Hopefully all the stories will be good.
    Matt said:

Read all of the second run of Powers, as well as most of the first. God damn their stop-start publication is fucking annoying. I get all my comics from the library, and this made it almost impossible to figure out which "volumes" were individual trades within the larger 30-issue runs (themselves referred to as "volumes"). The series has been good but not great. I don't think I will be checking out it's third, or current fourth, "volume."

Meanwhile, Saga 2 and 3... holy shit. Just put a hold on the fourth trade.

I'm pretty sure they didn't do it on purpose, the earlier volumes of Powers were done at Image so they had to sort out their legal shit before re-releasing it at marvel. I think I have a lot of it the series in single issues. I'll have to check out where I left off on the story and see if it is worthwhile picking it up again.
  • I read the first issue of Hinterkind. It is shit. If this is the good stuff you want to check out, I'm glad I didn't see any of the shit.
  • I read the first issue of Hinterkind. It is shit. If this is the good stuff you want to check out, I'm glad I didn't see any of the shit.

Nope that comic sucked from the blurb I read so I didn't buy it. There is no one publisher that will give the generic best. That's like saying everything on HBO is fucking amazing or anything distributed by Warner Brothers Films is the greatest movie.

Judging an entire medium off 30 pages seems silly.
  • I read one (free) issue of Atomic Robo, and that was good fun. I'll check it all out now it's all free.