This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Finally, a movie that explores what happens when a group of people who can’t get along find themselves freakishly mutated by cosmic radiation!

custom essay papers
  • edited September 2010
    Irrelevant deleted spam
    Court Marshall this noise.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Court Marshall this noise.
    Fuck a court martial. Summary execution.
    Fuck a court martial. Summary execution.
    That's fine too.
  • Bizarre experimentation is a good one, too.
    Actual people get court martials. Spammers get deleted quietly.
    Actual people get court martials. Spammers get deleted quietly.
    Also, don't reply to spam. If I delete the spam, then your posts look really stupid and are just more spam.
  • Has anyone read Pride of Baghdad? I saw it at the store and was intrigued. The comic shop owner told me it was good. I figure since it's Brian K. Vaughn, it's worth giving a go.

It sounds pretty interesting and I would suspect myself crying during one point of the story.
    In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives. In documenting the plight of the lions, Pride of Baghdad raises questions about the true meaning of liberation - can it be given, or is it earned only through self-determination and sacrifice? And in the end, is it truly better to die free than to live life in captivity?

Based on a true story, Vaughan and Henrichon have created a unique and heartbreaking window into the nature of life during wartime, illuminating this struggle as only the graphic novel can.
  • edited September 2010
    Has anyone readPride of Baghdad? I saw it at the store and was intrigued. The comic shop owner told me it was good. I figure since it's Brian K. Vaughn, it's worth giving a go.
    I own it, and have read it. Just get it. Pretty sure there's a GeekNights episode about it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I own it, and have read it. Just get it. Pretty sure there's a GeekNights episode about it.
    Figured as much, however I did a search and didn't see any episodes about it. Shenanigans!
  • Transmetropolitan, for any cyberpunk fans.
  • Has anyone readPride of Baghdad?
    It's alright. It's a bit fixated on rape.
  • edited September 2010
    Transmetropolitan, for any cyberpunk fans.
    Less cyberpunk as transhumanist post-cyberpunk. It's so good though.

I've got too much sitting in the stack. I need Vol 4 of Akira and the next volume of Pluto for sure, though. Maybe the next volume of Berserk, although downloading it would be cheaper. Also more 100 Bullets.

I'm still crazy hooked on Five Star Stories. That shit is just perfect.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I still don't have the last volume of Planetary. That makes me sad.

If you're into comics at all, especially superhero comics, pulp action stories, or giant monsters; and/or if you're a fan of Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, The Authority, FreakAngels), you really need to read Planetary. It's amazing. It's a quick series, too; only four trade volumes. Like I said, though, I only have the first three, so I can't attest to whether or not the ending lives up to the rest of the series. Since there was a multi-year hiatus between the first three volumes and the last, I admit I have misgivings.

As far as it goes, though, I'm a fan of Wildstorm in general. Stormwatch and The Authority were pretty good even when Warren Ellis wasn't writing them, and from what little I've read, Sleeper is pretty good too. The dude is a mad genius, though. He basically is Spider Jerusalem.
  • edited September 2010
    Stormwatch and The Authority were pretty good even when Warren Ellis wasn't writing them
    I actually preferred Millar's run on The Authority.

Anyway. I've mentioned Empowered before in this thread. Volume 6 just came out, and I had it preordered months ago, so I just got it. I'm about 1/3 through it, and to be perfectly honest, it's a bit disappointing so far. It's still good, but not up to the standard of the previous volumes. Hopefully it pulls it out in the end. But still! If you haven't read Empowered, you need to read Empowered. And, again, don't let your mom find it.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • At what point does Empowered start to get really good? I read about 2/3 of the first volume and it was amusing, but it didn't really hold my interest beyond that.
  • edited September 2010
    It's tough to say -- certainly by the latter chapters of volume 1, it's past the one-note-bondage-joke phase, and starting to become what it's going to be. Volume 5 is honestly one of the most emotionally devastating comics I've ever read. It's possible it's just not for you, though. It's really the relationship parts that get me -- but maybe you have to have been there.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I still don't have the last volume of Planetary. That makes me sad.
    Oh, shit. Thanks for reminding me about that. I have volume 1, and was waiting for an all-in-one volume. Now that Wildstorm is kaput, I guess I should go get the rest. Of course, this is yet another example of a good Wildstorm comic ending, thus Wildstorm no longer needing to exist.
  • Transmetropolitan, for any cyberpunk fans.
    I've started reading this, courtesy of jabrams. He told me it was like Hunter Thompson meets William Gibson, and it has most certainly lived up to that description. Awesome shit.
  • edited September 2010
    It's tough to say -- certainly by the latter chapters of volume 1, it's past the one-note-bondage-joke phase, and starting to become what it's going to be. Volume 5 is honestly one of the most emotionally devastating comics I've ever read. It's possible it's just not for you, though. It's really the relationship parts that get me -- but maybe you have to have been there.
    I'll make a point to at least finish vol. 1, then.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I started reading PeePo Choo, it is better than what it deserves to be :O
  • Elephantmen: Starts off good and then goes all over the place.

If anyone who reads comics regularly reads it, can they tell me if it's common for comics to pack that much text into a frame? Some of them seemed to have half a paragraph in there.
  • If anyone who reads comics regularly reads it, can they tell me if it's common for comics to pack that much text into a frame? Some of them seemed to have half a paragraph in there.
    Man, you are gonna hate Subnormality.
  • edited September 2010
    Man, you are gonna hateSubnormality.
    I was thinking about this and when you divide the text and pictures up, it makes block text more readable than when you try and put it in the frame with the images. You go from book reading mode to comic reading mode and back again whereas Elephantmen has you trying to relate the block text to the pictures you're being shown.

Though, reading back, that is pretty bad.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I started reading PeePo Choo, it is better than what it deserves to be :O
    I too was surprised. I make no secret about the fact that Felipe Smith's work is not to my taste. It's vicious, lewd, and basically yells "fuck you" to the reader. However, the character of Milton was extremely endearing and I found myself entertained at numerous points. Not a comic I expected to enjoy (and indeed, was turned off by events at many points during the first volume) but I am curious as to what will happen next.
  • Prison Pit is fun if you are a misanthropic nihilist. Otherwise, it's really bizarre but still enjoyable.
  • Oh shit! I forgot about Fear Agent!

Fear Agent is... well, it's a kind of darkly comedic camp sci-fi story about one of the last remaining humans flying around in an old Buck Rogers-looking rocketship fighting aliens and being Texan and drunk. It's hard to describe it well, but it's funny and charming and silly and sad and the art just... works. It's a damn fine funnybook.
  • Picked up the first collected volume of Marvel's "The 'Nam". A comic book about the Vietnam war, written by a veteran. Because they couldn't get away with a lot of violence(this was an 80s mainstream comic), it focused more on the soldiers and their time over there. Also one of the few comics to have a real time narrative.
  • Also one of the few comics to have a real time narrative.
    What's a real-time narrative in comics?
  • Also one of the few comics to have a real time narrative.
    What's a real-time narrative in comics?
    I might have used the wrong phrase. To put it another way, when a month passed between comics coming out, in the story a month passed also. As such, events and troop rotations were of a constant flow.