This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Required Testing

edited December 2006 in Everything Else
Here is a test for all of you to take. If you do not get all of the answers correct on the first try, you should be ashamed. Until you are able to get a perfect score on the test, you should not be posting anything on these forums. It's not enough to simply keep trying until you figure out the correct answers. You should be able to tell me why the answers you have chosen are the correct ones.

No, I'm not actually going to check and make sure everyone passed the test. That would be silly. We'll just go by the honor system.

Comments

• I received a score of nine (out of nine attempted), because question four sounded wrong with either answer. What's your take on it, Mr. Period?
  • I wish there was a section for your/you're. It's pretty bad sometimes on the internets.
  • I received a score of nine (out of nine attempted), because question four sounded wrong with either answer. What's your take on it, Mr. Period?
    Same here.
  • I received a score of nine (out of nine attempted), because question four sounded wrong with either answer.
    That's a common and perfectly correct construction.

"His fear of its being a very long season seemed contagious."

In this case, the state of being is possessed by it. Therefore, "its being" is correct.
  • Perfect score. Glad the public school system didn't fail me.
  • I got ten out of ten so I can post again?
  • Perfect score. Go me.
  • 10/10. Even if four sounds awkward, you should have still been able to work it out by filling in the blank with the non-contracted 'it is' and finding that it doesn't work.
  • 10/10. Even if four sounds awkward, you should have still been able to work it out by filling in the blank with the non-contracted 'it is' and finding that it doesn't work.
    Absolutely, I knew "it's" was not correct. It's (he he) just that "its" didn't sound right either, so I thought perhaps there was a mistake in the quiz. Apparently there isn't, and now I stand corrected.
  • 10/10 for me.

Now if we can find equivalent tests for basic punctuation and capitalization, we'll be all set.
  • Perhaps this should be a sticky? For new members?
  • Ask and Ye shall receive.

For the record, I got a perfect result for Mr Period's test, but only got 62/80 for capitalisation.
  • edited December 2006
    10/10

I believe "being a very long season" in question 4 is a noun phrase, so the construction with "its" is grammatically correct. The sentence is somewhat awkward in my mind; were I to edit that sentence, I'd probably change it to something a bit more accessible to the average reader.

EDIT: 74/80 on the capitalization quiz.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • 64/80 on capitalization. It could be better, but I'm currently pleased. ^_^
  • 79/80. I didn't capitalize "impressionists." ^_~
  • Perfect score!
  • 71/80 on the capitalization test.

Bleh. The format of that test is incredibly annoying and not at all intuitive, small excuse as that may be.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2006
    The format of that test is incredibly annoying and not at all intuitive,
    That's a very valid excuse. Fuck that test. I had to double-check it to make sure I didn't make an error that had nothing to do with capitalization... Instinctively, I wanted to hit "C" for "capitalize," instead of for "correct."

I caught 9 mistakes along those lines when I went through it again before submitting.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I got full marks! Can I have a sticker?
  • 10/10. Sticker please? <3
  • I scored 10/10 on my first try.
  • I scored 9/10 and 76/80. While not perfect, I'm very pleased with myself considering that these grammar rules are quite different in my native language. I didn't think I would score that high.