This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The one thing wrong with Twilight Princess

edited December 2006 in Video Games
So I played a lot of Twilight Princess today. I mean a lot. I beat three dungeons. I walked into the entrance of what I must assume is the last dungeon, and I saved. Now it is time for bed. Before I go to sleep, there is one thing that pissed me off so much that I must rant.

The second to last dungeon, the sky dungeon, is terrible. I mean it's bad in a not fun way. Part of what makes Zelda games so fantastic are all the small details that are so perfect players don't even realize them until they are gone. Because in Zelda you can't control your jumps, the distance between gaps is very important. When making levels Zelda designers measure every gap to make sure it can be jumped properly. They make sure that every hookshot grab-point is within reach. They make sure that you can't get trapped in a particular spot in the dungeon because you ran out of bombs or arrows. These are the types of polished and perfected details that make Zelda games, and most Nintendo games, so fantastic. The second to last dungeon significantly lacks this polish.

First off, there are these windmill things and you have to hooskhot from one to the other. The timing of the windmills is off! You get on one and it spins and the next one isn't spinning with the correct timing. This makes it impossible to progress. I had to get on and off the windmills so many times. Very annoying.

Secondly, there are many situations in this dungeon where the camera screws up royally. I am used to using Z when not in combat to straighten out the camera. It is often essential that the camera be pointed in a specific direction, so that I can see the obstacle I am about to clear. In this dungeon there are too many Z-targetable objects in the wrong places. It is often impossible to get the camera to straighten out. Also, there are many poorly designed areas where the camera will absolutely flip out. This doesn't help in a sky dungeon where the slightest screw up will send you falling to your doom.

Lastly, and most annoyingly, is what happens right after you get the big key. After you get the big key you pull a switch in order to return to the central room of the map. A branch from that central room leads to the boss door. However, you must activate this fan in order to traverse that branch. Following the hints given by the design of the map most players will jump into the centra room from the big key room. If you do this, you will have to re-traverse 1/3 of the entire dungeon to get back to the big key room again. Short of being insanely observant or reading a FAQ you will not know on the first try that you have to lower yourself into this central room with the hook shot in order to activate the fan. I ended up having to make the trip from the central room to the big key room 3 or 4 times before getting it right. If there is a shorter way to make this trip back, it isn't obvious. This pissed me off to no end and wasted an hour of my life repeating dungeon rooms I had already beaten.

Part of what makes Zelda games enjoyable is that you don't have to do things more than once. You beat a dungeon puzzle, good, you never have to do it again. Your challenges are always new and exciting because that's what's the most fun. Repeating already solved puzzles is just manual labor, and is very frustrating. I had taken for granted how Zelda dungeons are so well designed that you will never have to repeat more than one room unless you screw up royally. Yet, here is a dungeon were most players will end up making the same trip to the big key room at least twice, if not three or more times.

This really pissed me off, you have no idea. Not only did I lose time in my life, but this is a seriously bad dungeon in an otherwise almost perfect game. If I ever meet the guy who designed that dungeon, I'm going to kick him square in the nuts. Hopefully the final dungeon will not be nearly as flawed.

Comments

• Something that is annoying me (I've just finished the first dungeon, yay!) is that they seems to treat you like a little bit of an idiot. That little imp thing; "Why don't you try throwing something in its mouth?". Thanks, I got that.
  • Something that is annoying me (I've just finished the first dungeon, yay!) is that they seems to treat you like a little bit of an idiot. That little imp thing; "Why don't you try throwing something in its mouth?". Thanks, I got that.
    While most of the time the game tells you what to do, you already know, it is good that they have those hints. Imagine playing Zelda 1 and fighting Dodongo for the first time. Now imagine you never went to the room with the guy who says "Dodongo Dislikes Smoke." Wouldn't that be annoying as all hell trying to beat Dodongo? Whenever a puzzle in a Zelda game involves a new item, using an item in a new way or interacting with the environment in a new way, a hint is necessary to prevent hours of possible frustration.

Then again, I do think it would be cool to be able to turn hints off. It would make the game quicker for people who are beating it for the second time. It would also please the masochists.
  • edited December 2006
    The "City in the Sky" is pretty horrible, especially the circular room that is 5 stories or so tall. For me, it was get in and get out. Yet the ending of the game made up for the crappy dungeon, seeing as how I have a lot of time to put into my games.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Wow. Thanks for the heads-up. I just started the game today, haven't even gotten to a dungeon yet.
  • Yeah the Sky Temple is really lame, I was pretty disappointed in it. I was excited to see it since it's one of those temples they don't do often.

The issues I had with it was that a lot of the things you have to do in one room to get to another aren't really obvious at all.
  • I just started today as well. I love it so far, and I'll be sure to get in and out of that dungeon. I love the visuals so far. Even if the graphics aren't up to par, the game is still very pretty. It looks different than any other Zelda game. I love the way sunlight washes a lot of the skin tones out.
  • I just started today as well. I love it so far, and I'll be sure to get in and out of that dungeon. I love the visuals so far. Even if the graphics aren't up to par, the game is still very pretty. It looks different than any other Zelda game. I love the way sunlight washes a lot of the skin tones out.
    I thoght it started out kind of slow, bu it speeded up after the forest temple. I think it was a very smart turn on the Zelda series making it a little bit more mature. Maybe if the made Pokemon a little bit more mature, they would appeal to more older people.
  • A more mature Pokemon would be freakin awesome.
  • Also, another complaint about the City in the Sky. The music-its horrible; its gets on your nerves from the second you walk in. Another great reason to get in and out as fast as you can.
  • Something in general I don't like about these sorts of games is the amount of time you spend staring at the main character's arse.
  • A more mature Pokemon would be freakin awesome.
    Look up the Shin Megami Tensei games, they may be what you want.
  • I beat Zelda, but that doesn't mean I'm done playing it! Cave of Ordeals, here I come.
  • I have a few questions for you all regarding Twilight Princess. Please answer them with the understanding that I haven't played any of the more recent Zelda games and that I'm not "up to date" with the storyline.

1. How is the overall story of the game? Is it groundbreaking or amazing for veteran Zeldaphiles? Is it at least satisfying to Zelda noobs?
    2. Does the Wiimote add anything to the gameplay? Is it worth getting a Wii just to play this game?
    3. Does it ever drag on longer than it should?
    4. How is the soundtrack and such?

I would normally go to various review sites or blogs for this information, but I value your opinions much more. Hopefully, you guys AREN'T Zelda fanboys who would automatically rate this game highly; your opinions won't count if you are one.
  • edited December 2006

1. How is the overall story of the game? Is it groundbreaking or amazing for veteran Zeldaphiles? Is it at least satisfying to Zelda noobs?
    So far, it has been typical Zelda story telling with some more mature scenes. And by more mature, I mean a main character getting mortally wounded with an arrow. No complaints about any of the story telling, it's just fine.
    2. Does the Wiimote add anything to the gameplay? Is it worth getting a Wii just to play this game?
    Hell yes. Mostly sword fighting. Swinging the the sword and such. But it isn't cumbersome to gave to swing around the Wiimote, it feels natural and intuitive.
    3. Does it ever drag on longer than it should?
    Well, when you are stuck it does.
    4. How is the soundtrack and such?
    Brilliant. What you would expect from a Miyamoto game.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I beat Zelda, but that doesn't mean I'm done playing it! Cave of Ordeals, here I come.
    I haven't completed the Cave of Ordeals yet. Tell me how interesting it is; Ive went through the first 10 rooms, and it doesn't seem as interesting as the one from the Wind Waker. The only thing new or interesting is the elevation as you walk in each room, allowing you to snipe a Moblin or two, but that's it.
    I haven't completed the Cave of Ordeals yet. Tell me how interesting it is; Ive went through the first 10 rooms, and it doesn't seem as interesting as the one from the Wind Waker. The only thing new or interesting is the elevation as you walk in each room, allowing you to snipe a Moblin or two, but that's it.
    I don't remember any cave of ordeals in Wind Waker.
  • edited December 2006
    I feel that you have blown the entire Sky Dungeon out of proportion, at least in my opinion.

To be honest, the Sky Dungeon, upon hearing about the propensity to become stuck from major gaming journalism sites, was the one dungeon I expected to be stuck at least an hour on. I didn't get stuck. I had this great awareness of the dungeon that I did not have with the other dungeons simply because I believed that if I did not pay attention to each detail, I would pay an extra fifteen minutes per time I get stumped.

In my opinion, the Sky Dungeon is actually too well constructed. I felt that the dungeon moved way too fast since you only use one small key before getting the boss key.

I'll tell you my experience with the dungeon.

When I first entered the dungeon, I looked at everything. I looked at the walls, the Ooccaa, and every single clawshot point I could find. I looked at the ceiling, the floor, and everything in between. I was determined not to get stuck. I climbed up everywhere, trying to find where entrances lead and exits exited. Now, maybe this is the lazy gamer talking, but I am stubborn in the most laziest way. If I can't get to something, I just keep looking at it until I find something, and ignore everything else. I go right, get key, dragon destroy bridge, go left, do some stuff, get double clawshot, go right, get boss key, do stuff, drop down, iron boots few times, yadda yadda yadda. Boss. Beat in about ten to fifteen minutes, stare at screen in awe as I could not believe how short the dungeon was, a dungeon I was supposed to get stuck on.

The dungeon is very, very well designed. If my description reads short, that's because I thought the dungeon was short. The windmills you talked about. I actually believed that for the first few times that the windmills were off. It's actually not like that. It's just that you sometimes, depending on where you are hanging, have to aim where you think the clawshot will attach. Like leading a headshot.

The Z targeting and realignment of the camera was non-issue to me since I use the C button most of the time. The Z button is for locking on. C button is for precision. That's the first thing I picked up since the Z button is a little imprecise for anything else than split second decisions and traveling from point A to B.

My keen observations of the dungeon actually allowed me to see that there was a vine patch in the fan on the ceiling. When I saw it, I couldn't do anything since the fan was still spining. The only reason I saw it was because I used the clawshot to aim around to see what was in the room. Using the clawshot, you can see you can latch on to the vined pillar on the left when you first enter the central room and you can also see the vines from the ground floor simply by looking up at the fan. When the fan was shut off, I remembered the vine patch and used it to my advantage. The thing is that in almost every dungeon, there is usually a short cut back into some other part of the dungeon that normally would take a long time to traverse on foot. Being the lazy gamer that I am, I simply looked for anything to do with the clawshot and found it.

I won't say anything about observational skills to anyone since the dungeons I did get stuck on were the dungeons no one got stuck on. I didn't expect to get stuck, but I got stuck anyway. For example, the Ice dungeon. I got stuck after getting the compass and I repeated the room several times until I realized that the compass was the item I needed to find the small key.

I will say this now, as I think, in my humble opinion, it can be applied to anyone playing this game. Wasted time in this game is the result of player error, not the game design. There are people who finish the game within thirty-two hours while there are those who have spent ninety hours and have not passed the third dungeon.

Don't take this as an insult, but it's probably your fault as it is my fault for getting stuck on simple dungeons. You can't blame the game since the game cannot and will never cater to the skill level and habits of the player.
    Post edited by Alphanumber on
  • ...Wind Waker...
    Oh, dude. Ya know what other Zelda dungeon your description reminds me of, Scott? Earth Temple from Wind Waker. I remember having to do the same frikin' puzzles over and over again every time I turned on the game.
  • I feel that you have blown the entire Sky Dungeon out of proportion, at least in my opinion.

To be honest, the Sky Dungeon, upon hearing about the propensity to become stuck from major gaming journalism sites, was the one dungeon I expected to be stuck at least an hour on. I didn't get stuck. I had this great awareness of the dungeon that I did not have with the other dungeons simply because I believed that if I did not pay attention to each detail, I would pay an extra fifteen minutes per time I get stumped.
    So for you the sky dungeon wasn't hard because you knew beforehand that other people got stuck there. I did not know this, and I approached the dungeon with the same amount of caution and observation as I did every dungeon. The fact that the sky dungeon, and only the sky dungeon, requires this extra effort shows that is has a problem. Considering that I never got stuck anywhere else in the game, and that the dungeons after the sky dungeon were not as bastardly, it is cleary not good.
    The dungeon is very, very well designed. If my description reads short, that's because I thought the dungeon was short. The windmills you talked about. I actually believed that for the first few times that the windmills were off. It's actually not like that. It's just that you sometimes, depending on where you are hanging, have to aim where you think the clawshot will attach. Like leading a headshot.
    Here is the problem with the windmills. Your position on the windmill should not matter. In every other single instance of hookshotting in the entire game, you will never have to fire your hookshot if the target does not turn yellow and spin. If you aren't in the perfect position on the windmill, it will not turn yellow and spin when you try to shoot the next windmill. This is counter-intuitive and is not present anywhere else in any 3D Zelda game with hookshots. It doesn't matter that it is still possible to make it, something is off.
    The Z targeting and realignment of the camera was non-issue to me since I use the C button most of the time. The Z button is for locking on. C button is for precision. That's the first thing I picked up since the Z button is a little imprecise for anything else than split second decisions and traveling from point A to B.
    You don't need to tell me how to pay the game. Everyone who is any good at playing 3D games uses the first-person free-look to see what is going on. I use C constantly whenever I am standing on safe ground. The problem is that you can not use C in the middle of action. You can't move link while using C. There is a part in the sky dungeon where you have to raise and lower yourself on the hookshot while you are carried through a hole in the wall. If you use C to find the hole, you can't raise and lower yourself simultaneously. If you use Z to try to get the camera pointed at the hole, it looks at the monster carrying you. Even though I figured out what had to be done almost immediately, it took about four tries to get through this. Every time the camera was in a different orientation. One time the camera glitched and the screen got messed up.
    My keen observations of the dungeon actually allowed me to see that there was a vine patch in the fan on the ceiling. When I saw it, I couldn't do anything since the fan was still spining. The only reason I saw it was because I used the clawshot to aim around to see what was in the room. Using the clawshot, you can see you can latch on to the vined pillar on the left when you first enter the central room and you can also see the vines from the ground floor simply by looking up at the fan. When the fan was shut off, I remembered the vine patch and used it to my advantage. The thing is that in almost every dungeon, there is usually a short cut back into some other part of the dungeon that normally would take a long time to traverse on foot. Being the lazy gamer that I am, I simply looked for anything to do with the clawshot and found it.
    I also noticed the vine patch in the fan. That is a key part of the misleading nature of this dungeon. I tried many times to reach the vine patch from the room below, before and after turning the fan off. The only way I could get close enough to the patch was to climb on one of the vine pillars. However, you can't shoot the hookshot while climbing. Maybe I'm wrong, and you can shoot the hookshot while climbing. I do remember trying and not being able to. That particular vine patch is also misleading. When in the big key room, I turn the fan off and the only hint as to where to go next is that same vine patch. That patch indicates that I need to climb down it. I do, and I fall into the room below. It also doesn't help that the metal ball that you have to pull down is rather hidden. I wasn't sure at first if it was actually something to grab or just room decoration.
    I won't say anything about observational skills to anyone since the dungeons I did get stuck on were the dungeons no one got stuck on. I didn't expect to get stuck, but I got stuck anyway. For example, the Ice dungeon. I got stuck after getting the compass and I repeated the room several times until I realized that the compass was the item I needed to find the small key.
    I think that your personal experience can't be used as valid data. Apparently you read a lot about other people's experiences before playing the game. I went into the game completely cold. I didn't even know the next dungeon was a sky dungeon until I got to it. Considering that I only got stuck once in the entire game, and that many other people had the same experience, it is obviously a problem.
    I will say this now, as I think, in my humble opinion, it can be applied to anyone playing this game. Wasted time in this game is the result of player error, not the game design. There are people who finish the game within thirty-two hours while there are those who have spent ninety hours and have not passed the third dungeon.

Don't take this as an insult, but it's probably your fault as it is my fault for getting stuck on simple dungeons. You can't blame the game since the game cannot and will never cater to the skill level and habits of the player.
    This is a very silly argument that can be made for any game. If I wanted, I could make a game that was incredibly arbitrary and difficult that was still possible to beat with incredible amounts of skill. I could tell anyone who got frustrated with the game that it was just their error that is preventing them from winning. That doesn't mean that my arbitrary and difficult game is not poorly designed.

The sky dungeon in Twilight Princess is disproportionately obtuse when compared to every other dungeon in the game. It's not even like that's the point in the game where dungeons get tricky. Everything that comes after the Sky Dungeon does not exhibit these problems. No other dungeon goes against the intuitive conventions of the game so drastically. Just because you received a warning and where able to avoid these problems doesn't mean they don't exist.
  • ...Wind Waker...
    Oh, dude. Ya know what other Zelda dungeon your description reminds me of, Scott? Earth Temple from Wind Waker. I remember having to do the same frikin' puzzles over and over again every time I turned on the game.
    Dude. Nothing in Wind Waker was like that. The only dungeon that comes even close is the water temple from Ocarina of Time.
  • Scott's just bitter. ^_~

I reserve my own judgement until I play through the game.
  • ...Wind Waker...
    Dude. Nothing in Wind Waker was like that. The only dungeon that comes even close is the water temple from Ocarina of Time.
    Well, I haven't played Sky yet. I just remember being extremely frustrated with that dungeon.
    The fact that the sky dungeon, and only the sky dungeon, requires this extra effort shows that is has a problem. Considering that I never got stuck anywhere else in the game...
    What!? You never got stuck anywhere else? Here's your problem, Scott. You are just blessed where I am plagued. I have gotten stuck, straight up, utterly, and completely, stuck at least once in almost every Zelda dungeon I have ever played. Let me define "stuck" so that I don't get pwned later:

Stuck: To spend 1+ hours in a video game with no progression whatsoever in the fields of skill, storyline, and distance.

Let me take the Earth Temple in Twilight Princess I just played as an example. Simply put, I got the fourth monkey before I got the third monkey. So I was running around through every room for an hour before I found what I had missed. I suck at Zelda games. But that doesn't mean they aren't fun!
  • The only game I ever got "stuck" in was one of those Nickelodeon GC games where you had characters from the TV shows.

I don't recall the name of this one but it involved zombies walking around and Danny Phantom was in it as well as SpongeBob and a few others.

The one area I got stuck in was the inside of a building. you entered the building by jumping from a dumpster and over a wall.

The problem was that all of the other characters would follow you in and you could not get out of the building!!!
  • What can I say? I'm really good at Zelda games. Considering that I've played all of them and beaten most of them. The mistake a lot of people make in modern Zelda games is they try to do too much with it. You play Zelda 1 and the game barely gives you any direction. You have to explore all the nooks and crannies on your own. The same goes for Metroid 1. Your instinct is to go through modern games slowly in order to not miss secrets and such. That is the way to get stuck. Your best bet is to rush forward as quickly as possible.

Modern Zelda games always give you hints as to what to do next. Sometimes the hint is direct like "Go to the Eastern peninsula." Sometimes the hint is subtle like the camera moving off of Link and pointing at a chest. Follow the hints. Don't worry about missing too many things. They aren't going anywhere. Keeping your eye on the prize and your feet moving forward is the way to get through the game without getting lost or stuck. The surest way to lose the path is to stray from it.
    I don't remember any cave of ordeals in Wind Waker.
    It wasn't called the Cave of Ordeals. The location of it was on top of a hill on Outset Island. You had to jump in a hole, remember? I hope this jogs someones memory.

• It wasn't called the Cave of Ordeals. The location of it was on top of a hill on Outset Island. You had to jump in a hole, remember? I hope this jogs someones memory.
    I think I still have my save game. I'll go back and look.
  • ...Wind Waker...
    Oh MAN, that fricking water temple. I absolutely loathed that level...

A mature, hard-core pokemon game would be awesome. Any pokemon game should be deeper (e.g. the skill stats actually mattering), tho.
  • A mature, hard-core pokemon game would be awesome. Any pokemon game should be deeper (e.g. the skill stats actually mattering), tho.
    The skill stats DO actually matter. The option was there from the first Pokemon game to make the game that deep if you really wanted to.

1. There are tons of items that will raise skill stats. Have you actually experimented with any of them? It takes many to really see a difference, but they DO work.
    2. There are also attacks that raise and lower skill levels. Once again, experiment with them. They actually do something.
  • I don't know why everyone had a problem with the water temple. I had a bigger problem with the fire temple.. God, I hate fire.
  • I don't know why everyone had a problem with the water temple. I had a bigger problem with the fire temple.. God, I hate fire.
    I have had the same experience as the others.
    A couple of reasons why:
    1. The water temple was one big maze.
    2. Also, raising and lowering the water levels, If you did it wrong, you had a VERY difficult time resetting it.
    3.Fighting Underwater. Almost none of your items worked at all.

On the other hand, I thought the fire temple was pretty easy for the most part.