This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Games '07

edited December 2006 in Video Games
You might remember this thread from last year. Well, it looks like PC gaming is making a slight comeback. I've got 6 PC games to look forward to in '07. Supreme Commander, Spore, Natural Selection 2, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Team Fortress 2. Hmmm, lots of sequels to Half-Life/Source engine games in there. Doesn't do much to change the fact that Steam is the only bastion of good PC gaming left. Also, I'm sure many of you foreigners are looking forward to the new Football Manager.

Comments

• I'm looking for a good strategy game that is similar to the old Avalon Hill war games. I'm talking about the style of game where you look down from above at a map and move units around.

My main requirement is that it has "email" play. Why? Because I do not have the free time to sit down and play a network game in real time. I also hate RTS games as things happen and I like to have a bit of time to think over my moves before committing.

Does such a game exist or should I check the bargain racks first?
  • edited December 2006
    I'm looking for a good strategy game that is similar to the old Avalon Hill war games. I'm talking about the style of game where you look down from above at a map and move units around.
    Civilization 4? I'm pretty sure it has everything your looking for, including the multiplayer via e-mail. If you have never played a Civ game, they are turned based, so you get to take as much time as you want each turn.

As for other games, I am also really looking forward to Bioshock and BSG:Beyond the Red Line. The BSG game looks fabulous. It is a stand-alone mod for Freespace 2 that will be released as freeware. Here is a link to the trailer. It might finally satisfy my needs for a good space simulator.

EDIT: Check out these videos as well

Closer look at combat
    Another Tailer
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Oh yeah, I forgot about Bioshock. I still haven't played System Shock or System Shock 2, even though I know I should. Maybe after Rym and I buy new computers I'll finally play that game. We've also been dying for some real space shooting action, and not the Gradius kind. That Freespace mod looks cool, but I just don't think anything without X-Wings and TIE Fighters is going to satisfy.
  • I have Civ, Civ-Net and Civ2 (multi-player gold) games. Yes, I love those games but I have had far too many hours sucked into that game as it is!

I do know in the 90's there were some strategy games that offered email play as an option. i.e. you play, save the game and send the save file to your friend. Repeat.

Heck, I used to waste time playing "Empires" on the old WildCat BBS's!
  • All I have to say is X-Com UFO Defense Bitches!!!!
  • World of Warcraft is another game that is keeping PC gaming alive, although I wouldn't want to delve into that realm of gaming anytime soon.

Is DoTA and better?
  • I really want to get into computer gaming, but I will have to upgrade my old computer.
  • I'm looking for a good strategy game that is similar to the old Avalon Hill war games. I'm talking about the style of game where you look down from above at a map and move units around.

My main requirement is that it has "email" play. Why? Because I do not have the free time to sit down and play a network game in real time. I also hate RTS games as things happen and I like to have a bit of time to think over my moves before committing.

Does such a game exist or should I check the bargain racks first?
    There are lots of choices out there:

www.matrixgames.com
    www.shrapnelgames.com
    www.hpssims.com

You shouldn't have a problem finding something.