This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061226 - Mario Party

RymRym
edited December 2006 in Video Games

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about the Mario Party. In the news, videogame ads don't work very well.

Scott's Thing - The History of Computer RPGs
Rym's Thing - The Christmas Truce

Comments

• 1) I used to play Dungeons of Daggorath on my TRS-80! I also used to play "Madness and the Minotaur" but it was on a tape and only one side worked so it was hit or miss when loading that game...

2) Candyland does not use dice. It uses colored cards for movement. Try the updated game: Candyman

3) As "shit" as the gold box AD&D PC games were they had excellent game play. If you decompile the source code you will also find that every class from the PHB was in the game, as well as all items from the DMG. They were just not turned on. The codes for the code wheel were also saved as plain text within the executable, useful for when you lose your disk!
  • Candyland does not use dice. It uses colored cards for movement.
    I know. I've played a lot of it in my early days. I was just talking about dice to make a point.
  • Dammit, you guys. You tricked me on Monday by not doing a show, so I didn't load up my podcasts last night. Curses.
  • Hey, we skipped a lot more around the holidays last year, so be thankful. XD
  • Here's a one word excuse: Christmas.

I know they don't celebrate it, but they could still use it as an excuse.
  • I have a quick addition to the pointless war/ Christmas truce thing of the day, which is the death toll caused by the delay between agreeing to the armistice and its commencement hours later. I only saw this documentary recently and had previously been ignorant of these meaningless deaths.
  • Holy crap. I just listened to this episode and I had exactly the same experience as Scott when playing Eco as a kid. I tried everything! I even tried pushing the bouncy gem things in the corner into each other even though it was clearly impossible. Maybe I'll give that game a try in another ten years and see how it goes.
  • Holy crap. I just listened to this episode and I had exactly the same experience as Scott when playing Eco as a kid. I tried everything! I even tried pushing the bouncy gem things in the corner into each other even though it was clearly impossible. Maybe I'll give that game a try in another ten years and see how it goes.
    Since this was a zillion years ago, I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Is this the bit where you have to jump high enough into the sky for the aliens turn up? I know a few people who didn't work that out.
  • You were saying that you couldn't escape the first pond in that Eco (and the tides of time?) game for the Sega Genesis, but bought it on the virtual console and could suddenly do it without difficulty.
  • t
    It's Ecco the Dolphin. Not Eco.
  • And that's a 't'.