This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Thursday Show Ideas

13»

Comments

• WARNING! NOSTALGIA AHEAD!
    Classic Fisher Price toys from my generation:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • edited May 2007
    At least the Fisher Price people stayed down when you knocked them down, unlike those untrustworthy Weebles.

Did you have any of the Star Team stuff? I had the Helmet and the Nebulizer.

SSP Racers were ubiquitous.

Don't forget Megos. Especially the Star Trek Megos. Look all over that site. They even had pirate Megos. I never saw those.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

I remember the generation of Lego's. It seems to have died down over the years.
  • So I searched the frontpage for Ninjas and nothing pulled up oddly enough. So unless I screwed up you guys really need to do a podcast about NINJAS.
  • edited May 2007
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Jason, you are so my hero now. Welcome to the club of awesome picture makers.
  • Holy crap, I totally got sucked into VH1's "I Love Toys" countdown.
  • I think you should do a show on how to not suck at friendship or human relationships, some people would truly benefit from a show like this.
  • edited May 2007
    How about a show on shoes? What shoes do you like? Tennis shoes? If so, what type and why? Personally, I'm wearing Merrells a lot now. When I was in high school, I had one pair of cowboy boots I wore everyday. When I worked on a thoroughbred farm, I had a pair of steel-toed hobnail jackboots. I tried cowboy boots, but when you muck out stalls, the pee will eat right through. When I was in college, I went through a preppy phase where I wore deck shoes and penny loafers. When I went to court a lot, I wore Johnston & Murphy's dress shoes, usually of the wing-tip variety. Should you have more than one pair of shoes?

I'm thinking of this because I just bought (horrors!) a pair of sandals. It's a cheap knockoff of those Keen Newport sandals. I would have never considered such a thing before these came out, because I never want anyone seeing my toes in public.
  • You could do a show on attracting the opposite sex, asking them out, and so-on-and-so-forth.
  • You could do a show on attracting the opposite sex, asking them out, and so-on-and-so-forth.
    That would just be Rym talking about the one girl he has been dating for the past few years. Scott would have nothing to add to the discussion.
    That is not a bad idea. Add online romance to this and it's a winning scenario! I know some couples that met online playing games.
  • edited May 2007
    How about a Clothes make the man one. Do clothes make the man? What kind of wardrobe do Rym and Scott have now?
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • You could do a 12-hour show about how Seinfeld changed the entire face of comedy. I remember in junior high school when it became wildly popular. Observational humor became an integral part of my friends' bullshit conversations whilst sitting around in various basements a la "That 70s Show"-style. Seinfeld's red herring take on comedy completely revolutionized the way television was made from then on out, too.
  • I was thinking you could do a show on heroes/cool people - like the show you guys did on "worst people in history", but coming from the opposite side.
  • I think you guys should make a show on how to be an action hero. If there is something movies in the 80s and 90s have taught me is how to be an all around bad ass hero, and not only that but there are different types of heroes you could talk about.
    • The one man army
    • The martial arts expert
    • Squad or team based heroes
    • The ordinary guy thrown into an extraordinary situation
    And the list goes on. You guys could maybe pick one, or several, and talk about what would it take to be a hero in that category. For example, what would it take to be a one man army? besides being able to heal you own wounds with gunpowder and shaving with a big knife.
  • Wow, I really like the of the "How to be an Action Hero" show idea. Good one!
  • How about a show on "how to look busy at work when you have nothing to do"?

You can include such important tips as:

Walk around with a clipboard - No one ever questions someone who walks around with a clipboard. Just having the clipboard (with some papers on it) gives others the impression that you are doing something important. Also, some people might think you are doing some sort of inventory or investigative work and they will purposefully ignore you to avoid being sucked into your work.
  • You could do a show on what you would do if Scrym were suddenly elevated to Supreme Benevolent Dictator. It's something that I've been thinking about lately; the first thing I would do is get a big, red pen and start making the U.S. budget bleed nasty pork blood. Then I would attempt reform of the legal system to try to control phony/unrealistic/spurious civil claims and awards. Then I would make civics classes mandatory throughout all public junior high and high school semesters.

The problem is that I can think of very few things that can actually be done from an administrative angle. You can't really change negative situations like poverty, corruption, and crime without changing the way people think, and how do you do that?
  • edited May 2007
    How about a Clothes make the man one. Do clothes make the man? What kind of wardrobe do Rym and Scott have now?
    I want to be a guest for this show. In fact, I could easily do an hour on this subject at any time off the top of my head.
    You could do a show on what you would do if Scrym were suddenly elevated to Supreme Benevolent Dictator.
    I would make it a felony for guys to wear flip-flops. I would also outlaw those baggy jeans and shorts the kids wear. Cheesy teenage moustaches would be banned. Oil companies would be nationalized. Everyone would be required to smoke, wear hats (extra points for fedoras), and speak in 30s slang.
  • Now there is an idea!

Thursday shows with guest stars!
  • edited May 2007
    You could do a show on attracting the opposite sex, asking them out, and so-on-and-so-forth.
    Here's your show:

You're a geek. Get used to being lonely.

*Edit* Note that I'm using "you" here in the sense of "all of you listeners", not you: Li_Akahi.
  • How about you just run a Skypecast with forum members and record it. We could have an almost roundtable like discussion of geek news that occured this week or certain topics laid out ahead of time. It would solve your problems with comming up with show ideas, it would always be fresh and you would have little to do other than participate and record it.
  • How about you just run a Skypecast with forum members and record it. We could have an almost roundtable like discussion of geek news that occured this week or certain topics laid out ahead of time. It would solve your problems with comming up with show ideas, it would always be fresh and you would have little to do other than participate and record it.
    We could do that... As long as some of us were able to sidetrack the discussion into the arena of Pokemon every few minutes. At least once Joe and I would also have to get into some sort of shouting match.
  • LOL - WIP is really pushing to get some air time :D
  • LOL - WIP is really pushing to get some air time :D
    -___- Watch yourself jason...
  • edited May 2007
    You could do a show on what you would do if Scrym were suddenly elevated to Supreme Benevolent Dictator.
    This actually just spawned an idea in my head for a whole series of Thursday shows:

"What Rym and Scott would do if..."
    - they ran a hockey team?
    - they ran a videogame company? (maybe too much of a Tuesday idea)
    - they ran a boardgame company? (ditto)
    - they had been (collectively) a Byzantine emperor?
    - they could cast a movie (which movie?) with anyone they wanted?
    - they actually COULD hold 10 Pokemons? :)
    - etc., etc.

The possibilities are endless!

(Oh, and sorry for coming late to the party, as I'm listening to the "Your Thursday show ideas" show right now....)
    Post edited by phurballdj on
  • No. You CAN NOT hold 10 Pokemans. :D

I'd love to hear a show about metal, since y'all seem to be in to it - that's a bit vague, but I'm a huge metal fan, and I think it'd be cool to see a "Metal We Love" or even throw in a "How to get in to Metal" "Shitty Metal" or a combination of the three (or more)

;)