This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burden Of Proof...On God?

edited January 2007 in Flamewars
Here's a question that has been bugging me: Who bares the burden of proof regarding God? The believers or the nay-sayers?

On the one hand, the proposition of a higher power that we can't hear, touch, or see is a supernatural claim.

But on the other hand, at least 90%(nearly 95% according to the LA Times) of the world believes in some sort of "power beyond us". So, doesn't the idea of no such power become the supernatural claim?

So, it's up to you forum-goers! Who bares the Burden of Proof?

[Edit] The category has been revised to 'Flamewars'.

Comments

• In any case regarding some claim, the burden of proof lies with those who make it. Just because alot of people believe in this supernatural claim, that in no way makes it true. If it were the other way around, scientists would get no where because they would spend their whole time trying to disprove the idea that objects fall to the ground because of a teapot orbiting the Earth.
  • If there are a god or gods as humans believe in them, they are extraordinary. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There is no evidence for any god and some evidence against. The burden of proof lies with those making the extraordinary claims. If I claim that I am actually the evil alien overlord Xenu, I am required to present evidence to support that. By default, I am not Xenu. By default, there are no gods. If you claim there is a god or gods, present evidence. Just because a large number of people are irrational does not mean that logic and reason will change to meet their demands. If 95% of the people in the world didn't believe in gravity, that doesn't suddenly mean we can all fly.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2007
    The burden lies on the believers. There's really no rational way to debate the other side.

Claiming that atheists bear the burden of proving that there is no god is like claiming that scientists bear the burden of proving that there's no granite tea kettle orbiting Charon.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The burden lies on the deity. Prove thyself.
  • As a Christian, I can say right now that it's not scientifically possible to prove there is a/one God. However, I choose to believe that from my own personal experiences and interpretations, and whoever I share those things with can take it or leave it. I gave up pressure and forced evangelism because the idea simply does not work with the people I relate with. For example, if you guys ask earnestly and completely without sarcasm about my beliefs, I'd be happy to expound. If you want to know more, great. If not, I'm not going to bother you about it. Therefore, at least, in my case, the burden of proof is arbitrary. I'm not going to try, I'll just simply believe what I want.
  • I heard a physicist interviewed the other day who said that there is no way for humans to prove the shape of the universe - despite a strong-held belief as to what that shape is.

I see God as being similar. There either is one or there isn't, and we aren't really going to know until it's time to meet our maker. Certain passages of the Bible may be subject to scientific inquiry (was there a flood, how old is the Universe?), but that just proves that a book contains error. It doesn't disprove the existence of God.
  • How can you prove something that you do not even understand?

If I asked you, right now, to prove how and why gravity works, could you? Or do you simply blindly accept the "theory" of how gravity works?
  • I think we are confusing two different issues. Is it possible to disprove the "christian" version of god and can you disprove the "deist" version of a god. Since the Deist version of god doesn't make any claims that are testable, "God made the universe and then went to sleep/took a vacation/ceased to exist/watches passively" therefore it is difficult to test whether there is a deist god or not. However, the fundamental christian god and Christians, makes many testable claims, from historical events to the healing power of prayer to the resurrection of Jesus. All of these can be analysed and shown to be fallacious. So while it is difficult to disprove that there is a "god" we can work to disprove a certain version of god at least how humans decide to interpret it and make claims for it.

And that is why I am a Agnostic (Unitarian/Deist) Atheist
  • Sometimes I wonder if the Roman Gods were made up by wives who wanted to cover-up affairs? Look over the pantheon, every male god had a habit of dropping down to Earth and banging woman!

"Casandra, you are with child?"
    "Yes husband, I am."
    "But, I have been away these past few months with the legions!"
    "It was Hermes! He came very quickly..."
    "Damn you Olympians!"

*** Six months later ***

"Why does this baby look like our gardener?"
    "Oh... Hermes said the baby would look like the nearest male aside from himself..."
    "ORLY?"
  • Sometimes I wonder if the Roman Gods were made up by wives who wanted to cover-up affairs? Look over the pantheon, every male god had a habit of dropping down to Earth and banging woman!
    I think you might have a point I mean only women could make up such a bunch of drama filled, catty and backstabbing gods and goddess.. ^_^
  • I don't think some of you guys understand burden of proof at all. Have you still not learned the lesson of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? You can't disprove the FSM, therefore he must exist. He created the universe with his noodly appendage, end of story. You can't disprove it, it must be true! What if I told you, that despite a complete lack of evidence that I truly believed that the FSM is really our creator based on my own experiences and interpretations? Would you think I was a nutcase? I hope so, because I would be. Believing in Thor, the FSM, Xenu and the Judeo-Christian deity are all equally nutty. If you are saying that it is not insane to really believe in god simply because it can't be disproven, then it is not insane to truly believe in a flying spaghetti monster, Xenu, crazy conspiracy theories, etc.

If you make an extraordinary claim and can not provide evidence you are wrong by default. I don't need to disprove you. You carry the burden of proof. You must provide evidence to support your extraordinary claim. If you can't, I win. There is no need for disproving. If you disagree with this, you are irrational and illogical. There are no buts about it. If you truly believe in something extraordinary without evidence, you are delusional and possibly insane.
  • edited January 2007
    If I asked you, right now, to prove how and why gravity works, could you? Or do you simply blindly accept the "theory" of how gravity works?
    Just because we can't answer all the questions, doesn't mean that we don't have evidence. We know gravity exists. Period. We know that it has a certain strength. 9.8 m/s on Earth. We can repeatedly test and measure the force. We know we are correct cause we can predict the motion of the planets extremely accurately. You cannot automatically blame science for not having all the answers.

Let me reverse the question upon you. How was Jesus born to a virgin Mary? How did he raise Lazarus from the dead? How did he turn water into wine? How did he himself raise up from the dead? How did he then return 40 days later and then float into the sky? Can you answer any of these questions? If you were not a Christian, don't you think they would sound pretty ridiculous? Do you have any evidence, apart from the Bible (which is not evidence), that this is even possible? Would you believe your daughter if she was pregnant and said she was a virgin?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • RymRym
    edited January 2007
    Wow... Some of you really don't understand what the burden of proof entails...

Science can't prove many things. We're well aware of that. To prove something 100% true is an extremely difficult if not impossible task. What we can do, however, is show what is likely and probable, or what is mathematically predictable. Scientific theories are accepted due to the mountains of evidence in support and the lack of counterexamples. The claims are not unreasonable, and they have backing. This is very different from theistic claims.

Saying that an atheist is making a claim is like saying that every single human being who doesn't believe in my magical invisible third nut is making a claim.
    That's a very poor and intellectually dishonest or misinformed position, and I hope you're not seriously making this point...

The claim: gravity appears as a force
    The evidence: millions of observations, tens of thousands of controlled experiments, consistent returned data
    Reasonable conclusion: gravity exists

Gravity is generally accepted to exist due to the enormity of the extant evidence for it. Now, compare that to various theories as to why gravity works.

The claim: gravity works through the exchange of particles
    The evidence: scant observations, statistical correlations, consistent mathematical theory
    Reasonable conclusion: gravity may work through the exchange of particles, but there is no impetus to preclude other possibilities

Notice how "proof" is a sliding scale? We can't "prove" anything 100%, but reasonable people accept claims that are backed with substantial evidence and question claims that aren't. That's why it's reasonable to accept backed scientific theories and unreasonable to accept theistic claims.
    I heard a physicist interviewed the other day who said that there is no way for humans to prove the shape of the universe - despite a strong-held belief as to what that shape is.
    There is a claim that the universe is shaped a certain way. There is evidence for it, and no counterexample has yet been found. It is thus reasonable for someone familiar with the evidence in question to accept the possibility/probability that the universe is indeed shaped that way, or in the very least that the mathematical model thereby derived is functional. It is also reasonable for someone not familiar with the evidence to believe any of this through trust of the scientists involved.

The scientists in question are still searching frantically for a counterexample. Science tries to prove itself wrong continually. We accept theories that are mathematically useful or predictive because they -work- and do not require additional, unsupported, extraordinary claims.
    Certain passages of the Bible may be subject to scientific inquiry (was there a flood, how old is the Universe?), but that just proves that a book contains error. It doesn't disprove the existence of God.
    But there is absolutely no burden of proof for the nonexistence of a god. The nonexistence is the default rational position, and does not need to be supported. The only burden of proof is on those who make the theistic claim.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The latest 8-bit theater is very relevant.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=070109
  • edited January 2007

The claim: gravity works through the exchange of particles
    The evidence: scant observations, statistical correlations, consistent mathematical theory
    Reasonable conclusion: gravity may work through the exchange of particles, but there is no impetus to preclude other possibilities
    Also:

The claim: gravity works through the warping of space by mass
    The evidence: stellar shifts measured during the May 29, 1919 solar eclipse: http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEM7I9R1VED_index_0.html
    Conclusion: Mass curves space, causing effects we recognize as gravity.

and further:
    What if I told you, that despite a complete lack of evidence that I truly believed that the FSM is really our creator based on my own experiences and interpretations? Would you think I was a nutcase? I hope so, because I would be. Believing in Thor, the FSM, Xenu and the Judeo-Christian deity are all equally nutty. If you are saying that it is not insane to really believe in god simply because it can't be disproven, then it is not insane to truly believe in a flying spaghetti monster, Xenu, crazy conspiracy theories, etc.
    Just so. Such positions cannot be proven and so all must fail logically. Belief and faith, however, reside outside the realm of logic. People have the ability to form crazy beliefs, take comfort in them, and even benefit from them in spite of their logical failure. Problems arise when these people use their beliefs as a basis to exclude, harass, and marginalize other people. More problems arise when these people try to force other people to accept these beliefs despite their unwillingness to do so. If people would just believe what they want, understand that their beliefs cannot survive logical scrutiny, and leave others alone to their own beliefs or lack thereof we would be much better off.

But on the other hand, at least 90%(nearly 95% according to the LA Times) of the world believes in some sort of "power beyond us". So, doesn't the idea of no such power become the supernatural claim?
    The claim: The number of people who subscribe to a belief and the logical validity and/or quality of that belief are directly proportional.
    The evidence: When I was younger, the Bee Gees were extremely popular. As in you wouldn't believe how popular. Right now, Justin Timberlake, Ashley Simpson, and Carrot Top can actually make a living in the entertainment industry and NASCAR is EXTREMELY popular.
    The conclusion: The number of people who subscribe to a belief and the logical validity and/or quality of that belief are inversely proportional.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The evidence: When I was younger, the Bee Gees were extremely popular.
    I was born well after the Bee Gees were popular. I like the Bee Gees.
  • Posted By: Apreche
    I was born well after the Bee Gees were popular. I like the Bee Gees.

Your appreciation of the Bee Gees cannot be supported by logic.
  • edited January 2007
    Wasn't there something in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy where God was disproved and vanished in a puff of logic?

It was something along the lines of how faith is the belief in something when there is no proof. If God exists as an element of faith than any positive proof would therefore cause God to no longer exist as faith and proof can not co-exist in this manner.

To me, God is "random chance" and nothing more. Those who study random numbers will tell you that there is no such things as all numbers are inherently non-random when looked upon with great enough depth. Except for Pi which goes on and on and never repeats itself!

God is also used to explain anything that we can not currently explain. Two slugs are eating a leaf. The leaf breaks off and they fall into a pile of salt and die. As far as the slugs are concerned (assuming they can think) it was an act of God that thrust them to their deaths. We know, by looking at the bigger picture, it was a kid with a pair of scissors and a mean streak!

Intelligent design is just the one random occurrence that bore fruit. Just as many financial companies start out with a ton of different funds and then remove the unprofitable ones so they can say, "look! All of our funds make money!" The same is true with intelligent design. We ignore all the creatures that have become extinct and focus only on those that have survived and exclaim, "there must be a godly power for this to happen!"

You can not prove the existence of God because anything that can be proven falls out of the realm of an "act of God!"
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • To me, God is "random chance" and nothing more.
    If it is just random chance, why attribute it to "God"? Your logic here will confuse many into believing that things do not happen by random chance, but by "God's divine will". We should not confuse coincidence for miracles.
    God is also used to explain anything that we can not currently explain.
    This would be an extremely horrible idea, and one that is already being used today! This promotes laziness and ignorance. "We don't know how the sun rises? Well, it was God!" We should just admit that we don't know and try and figure it out.
    You can not prove the existence of God because anything that can be proven falls out of the realm of an "act of God!"
    That is because anything that you can not prove does not exist.
  • WaterisPoison:

Random Chance != God
    God == Random Chance

God == All unexplained things
    All unexplained things != God

Does that explain it better?
    That is because anything that you can not prove does not exist.
    I can not prove gravity, does it not exist?
  • edited January 2007
    Actually you can, and it does.

Also, your logic is like saying:

1!=2 but 2==1
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2007
    Actually you can, and it does.

Also, your logic is like saying:

1!=2 but 2==1
    You have PROOF and not a THEORY????

What are you doing here? Go claim your Nobel Prize!

No, my logic is the same as: Calico == Cat but Cat != Calico. If that is too hard for you to parse: All calicos are cats but all cats are not calicos.
  • That is because anything that you can not prove does not exist.
    Yes, because while we can't prove it 100%, we have a mountain of evidence supporting the fact that it does. We are 99.9999% sure that gravity exists because so far we have not found any counter-examples to our theories of gravity. In fact, Newton's ideas of gravity did have some problems and Einstein fixed it. Right now we might only have a few ideas as to what makes gravity work or why it works. That doesn't have any effect on the fact that gravity does exist, does work and does work in the manner described by our scientific theories.

There is a mountain of evidence for gravity. If you believe in gravity, nobody can fault you for it or call you irrational. If you don't believe in gravity in the face of this mountain of evidence you can only be called in sane. There is no evidence for god and some evidence against god. If you believe in god you are at least as crazy as someone who does not believe in gravity.

Believing gravity exists is like believing cats exist. Believing in god is like believing in unicorns.

• Believing gravity exists is like believing cats exist. Believing in god is like believing in unicorns.
    Are you telling me unicorns are not real?

Wikipedia: Gravity

My point is that the theory of gravity may be accepted as fact due to the evidence but has not been proven 100%, thus it is still a theory.

My point (if you read my above comments) is that the theory of God exists but it has not been proven. It likely will never be proven as I do not believe it myself! Many things we once thought were caused by an angry god have since been found to be natural phenomanom. If a God (in the biblical sense) were proven to exist than what does that say about us? What power do we truly have if an angry God can just wipe us out on a whim?

I'd like to believe we go *somewhere* after we die but I don't believe there is some old guy with a beard in charge.
  • edited January 2007

You have PROOF and not a THEORY????
    Please do not confuse the popular and scientific common usage of the word "theory". A theory is a conceptual framework that explains existing observations (facts) and predicts new ones. Using Newton's theory of gravity, a person can make predictions concerning motion of bodies that can be tested by other persons. If these predictions are verified, the theory is a good one and is proven by induction. The classification of Newton's theory as a "theory" does not mean it is mere speculation.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on

• My point (if you read my above comments) is that the theory of God exists but it has not been proven.
    Using the colloquial meaning of the word theory, then yes there is a theory of god. Using the scientific meaning of theory, there is no theory of god. I thought we cleared up incorrect use of the word theory long ago, why are people still making this mistake? Scientifically speaking gravity is a theory, thermodynamics is a law and god doesn't even qualify as a hypothesis.
  • Apreche,

Yes, I mashed up my terms. Thank you for clarifying for me.

Yes, the existence of "God" is more of a hypothesis at best. There are no facts that can be corroborated and there is only one document available that talks about his existence and it was written by believers...

Virgin birth? Space Aliens! Or she was fooling around and had someone hide behind a bush with a megaphone to intimidate her husband...

Raising from the dead? Well, perhaps he wasn't really dead yet? It happened in a Monty Python movie...

Water into wine? That could have just been a figurative story that was exaggerated into a literal story. Remember the scene in Life of Brian where the people were way way far away and could not quite hear what Jesus was saying?

Until all things have been proven scientifically there will always be some who will believe that something occurs because "God wills it." God is the absence of proof, an excuse if you will.
  • Steve, I am confused on where you stand on the issue, do you or do you not believe in the existence of god. It might help me understand better. I asked those questions because due to Christian doctrine they happened, they are not open to interpretation. I understand your point in that what are very common experiences can sometimes be exaggerated to literally mythic proportions, but it doesn't matter if you believe in an old man with a beard, a ball of energy, a "force" or the FSM. They are all equal in their chances of existing.

• Yes, the existence of "God" is more of a hypothesis at best.
    It's not a hypothesis, either. It's a supposition or assertion at best.
    My point is that the theory of gravity may be accepted as fact due to the evidence but has not been proven 100%, thus it is still a theory.
    And it will always remain a theory. Due to the solipsistic nature of conciousness and the inability to test an infinite number of cases in a finite span of time, nothing can ever be "proven" more than a theory. A theory is effectively proof positive. You can't prove it -more-.
  • edited January 2007
    WaterIsPoison - No, I do not believe in an all-encompassing force that binds the universe together. I believe in chaos, which leads to chance events. There is no "massive intelligence" behind why things happen in the universe. All things that happen will eventually be broken down by science into a frame work of laws.

Rym - away with your pedantic arguments! All mathematical theories can be proven true given enough computing power. Wait, what about the mathematical proof that adding two even numbers always results in an even result? What about the law of divisibility by three?

Somethings can be proven beyond being a theory as long as the particular circumstances around the event are constant. i.e. the boiling point of water is not a constant, it is also based on atmospheric pressure, elevation and a few other things. This is why you can not boil water on top of a mountain and why eggs always taste like crap on an airliner. BUT, you can prove that if all things are constant water will boil at a certain temperature.

Even with gravity, you can be certain that if you open a window and throw something out the window (that is heavier than air) that it will fall to the ground. I would call it something like, "The Law of Gravity and Rym's Window" but that would not prove the over-all theory of gravity as it would only be an example of how gravity works. With that said, if any single time Rym through a heavy object out of his window and it did not fall down it would not only throw out this law but would confuse the hell out of the law of gravity as a whole!