This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Apple Keynote 07 Discussion/Live Updates

edited January 2007 in Technology
Okay. The Apple Keynote address 07 is going to begin in 30 minutes.

I'll post the updates as they come in, so we all can discuss the latest Apple announcements.

-EDIT- The times posted are in PST, as the address is in San Fransisco.

It's showtime.

Comments

• 8:26 AM

"Thanks for joining us. The Keynote speech will begin in approximately half an hour from now. The online Apple store has just been taken offline for updates."
  • I don't think it's necessary to copy and paste some other blog into our forum. People can read Engadget themselves. However, don't let that stop you from discussing whatever crazy iPhoneotrontablets Steve J unveils.
  • Okay, fine.

No blog.

Grumble grumble.
  • It has started.
  • Apple has a new partner - Paramount.
  • The iTv (Apple TV) has been released.

Big surprise.
  • You can purchase stuff from the ITMS with the iTv.
  • We knew that this was coming. I want to see what the "One More Thing(s)" might be.
  • We knew that this was coming. I want to see what the "One More Thing(s)" might be.
    Who doesn't.
  • Widescreen iPod - Details coming...
  • edited January 2007
    Two Phones?

Bah, Got it now. Misread the engadget report.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
  • iPhone released, and it's a giant touchscreen.
  • How is you summarizing any different? Is this really necessary to fill a thread with tiny comments?
  • Meh, I'm done reporting. The blogs can take over.

Oh, and the iPhone is essentially an apple PDA.
  • Meh, I'm done reporting. The blogs can take over.
    You say that as if you are there or something.

Oh, and the iPhone is essentially an apple PDA.
    You mean the Newton?
  • 9:23 AM- Steve Jobs takes a drink of water. Does this hint at a new iCup?
  • iCup
    Spell that out loud.
  • edited January 2007
    Meh, I'm done reporting. The blogs can take over.
    You say that as if you are there or something.
    Maybe I am, maybe I'm not...

<_<

>_>
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I was keeping up with the live blog coverage, and although I was really gung-ho about the iPhone as he explained the awesome things it could do. I really lost a lot of interest in it because of the price and that its Cingular only. $499 is a lot of money to be asking for a phone, regardless. But I guess it makes sense if you were to use it both as a smart phone and an iPod.
  • Wow. No "one more thing".

At least the iPhone is amazing. Overpriced, but amazing.
  • iPhone initial impression.

Oh look at that. One rumor said they would make a full-screen touch iPod. Another rumor said iPhone. Apple gives everyone a middle finger and puts both in one. Way to go.

What's obviously good?
    • The interface appears to be amazing, but we won't know for sure until June. If the interface is as good as it appears, that counts for 10 pluses
    • It can potentially reduce the number of devices you carry down to one.
    • If you actually want to watch video on the go, this is the winner.
    • Best mobile browser I've seen yet, even better than mobile Opera and Mozilla.
    • Lots of small touches make the big difference such as pausing and resuming music to take a call.
    • You can sync it with iTunes on a PC, so it's not just for Mac users.
    • It's really sexy. If you are vain, this is the phone for you.
    • HTML E-mail in a mobile device is huge.
    • Takes a SIM card. Feel free to travel the world with this thing.
    • Google Maps on iPhone is better than Mobile Google Maps.
    • The Zune is pwn3d.
    What's not good?
    • Battery life is bad. It's not unusably bad, but it's bad. If you actually use this as your full-time PDA, iPod and phone, you will have to charge it every night, or else. Imagine if you take a long flight or train watching videos and listening to music. When you get off the plane, you can't make a call. They say five hours of video. If I take a one our train to work and back, and watch a movie both ways, I've lost 2/5 of the battery life.
    • It's Cingular only for years to come, they have terrible coverage here.
    • It only supports GSM and EDGE, no HSDPA. Internet access on the street will be slow.
    • It does have wi-fi, so if you're in a cafe, or your house, you can get some solid bandwidth.
    • E-mail is POP/IMAP only. That eliminates business users. Also GMail users can use it, but with difficulty. Gmail users will have a better experience on any Java-enabled phone.
    • The price is big. Sure, it's a steal compared to the three devices it potentially replaces, but the 4 gig costs more than a 360 and the 8 gig costs as much as a PS3. You can get a Mac Mini or kickass PC instead of this.
    • Why do I have to sync it with iTunes? It has Wi-fi. It supposedly runs OSX. Why not just have iTunes installed on it? I should be able to manage and download podcasts directly to the device.
    • No memory card expansion. They should just have one model with 4G and let you switch out memory cards.
    • Many people have replaced wrist-watches with phones. This does not make a convenient clock. Prepare to go buy a watch.
    • Apple/Cingular is providing the best walled garden of mobile content in the US, much better than VCast, Vision, etc. However, it is still a walled garden. Their excellent industrial design masks their lack of openness.
    Questions?
    • You partnered with Yahoo, how come I can't have my photos go directly to Flickr?
    • Can I install mobile Java apps that work on other phones? I doubt it.
    • Is the battery user-replaceable? Have you ever heard of a phone on which it isn't? The way it drains power, you better hope you can carry a spare battery with you.
    • What kind of accessories are you going to have to buy to protect that screen? What other expensive accessories will you need to buy?
    • What codecs will it play? Will it be hackable?
    • If I'm in an area that only has wi-fi, can I make a call? Can I make a Skype call?
    • No GPS?
    • No Games? DS Ports?
    Final verdict?

Give me two years. If the iPhone nano is out, I might consider it. We'll probably cover this on the show Monday.
  • I totally agree with Scott, but my issue is that I'm going to need a new cell soon and the iPhone would be perfect (if it weren't so damn expensive and on Cingular, although Cingular isn't so bad right?) and it really makes any other phone I would want to get look like crap in comparison. So it's really confusing, but I guess I have 6+ months to decide before it comes out.

Plus it's possible that with it being 6 months away that Apple could potentially alter some things, like add a better battery or whatnot. Likely not anything that would require them to go back to the FCC.
  • I'm somewhat disappointed with Apple TV.

Here is what I want:
    A dedicated box that hooks up to my television and downloads content via my home wireless network.

I want to ditch cable, and just order the shows I watch a-la carte. I DON'T want the box to depend on a computer. Sure, I'd like it to be able to send programs to my computer, but I don't want it to require a computer.

From what I can tell, you have to download stuff to your computer, and THEN it can get sent to the Apple TV. (I could be wrong.) What if my computer breaks? What if I don't want to have a computer?

Please, oh please, will someone design what I want? (And provide sufficient content?)
  • Kilarney, do what we do. Buy a computer and connect it to your television. Use a Mac, Linux or MS Media Center, it doesn't matter. You will get everything you want and more. The Apple TV is for people who live in Apple's walled garden.

I keep using the term walled garden a lot lately, but oh well. Thanks Engadget.
  • My laptop actually connects quite well to the television.

The problem is that I want something that my wife can use. You can read into that what you want. ;-)
  • My laptop actually connects quite well to the television.

The problem is that I want something that my wife can use. You can read into that what you want. ;-)
    Mac Mini, Front Row.
  • You know.... the more I look at the IPhone, the more I'm suspecting that it won't have as big an impact as I first thought.

Why?
    1) Price point. In order for the phone to really take off, it has to be adopted by students and 20 somethings. At this price point, a whole lot of those folks are going to be turned away. Business people, with that kind of money, care more about functionality than looks. While it may be cheaper than purchasing devices separately, you have to come up with all of the cash at one time. A lot of people won't be able to do this.
    2) Battery life. I'm still not sold on combining several devices into one - when that one device has limited battery life.
    3) The size. Take a look here. Is it me, or does it seem kind of big?

Ironically enough, I'm starting to think that Apple might have gotten too carried away with the IPhone. I'd much rather have a Nano and cell phone combined - or at least the option to have something cheaper and smaller than the current IPhone. For those of us that have no desire to have a video IPod, why do we have to have a video IPhone?
  • I Don't Really Want a Phone.

What I want is just the iPod functionality. I have over 15gb on mine, so this isn't good as a replacement. Give me an identical looking device that is just a 30Gb iPod.
    Also, I have a phone, I like it, and I really don't want to replace it with something I can't use in my car cause I need two hands and all attention forward just to dial.

If they want me to get Apple TV, they need more features. I want:
    Something that acts like a DVR and lets me record shows and pause live TV
    Something that lets me put my fansubs on TV

In other words I want something does everything I can already do with my DVR and lets me put everything from my computer on my TV. Also, something with old yellow-red-white outputs; my TV doesn't have HDMI, thank you mr. Jobs.

Lastly, Being hard-of-hearing, I am upset that once again a company has put out a headset I can't use. Sorry, but my ears are occupied by my hearing aid!

Overall, I am kinda disappointed by this years offerings. Yes, there's cool stuff, but I'm probably not even going to consider getting any of it.
  • Apple is and always has been a luxury brand. They make stylish premium products and sell them at premium prices. If they were to make a phone that was just a phone and an iPod nano combined at a low price point, that would ruin them. It would be like Lexus trying to sell a $15,000 car. You don't go to the Lexus dealer and ask them to make a car without a GPS and heated vibrating seats so that you can afford it. You go to buy a non-luxury car that has what you want at the price you are willing to pay. The iPhone is $500, and my new phone is $150. If you scale that against car prices, my phone is like a $15,000 car and the iPhone is a $50,000 car. It's Hyundai vs. Porsche we're talking about here.

You look at the iPhone and it's way cool, but clearly there are some problems that make it impractical. Oh, just like a Porsche. The engineering and design are outright superior to just about everything else, but it is not a very sensible car for most people. It's way cool and way fun to drive a Porsche, but it costs a lot, guzzles gas, and works differently from most other cars. It has a rear engine, the fuel goes in the front, etc. If you think it's not sensible to buy a Porsche, you will also think it is insensible to buy an iPhone.
  • edited January 2007
    Give me an identical looking device that is just a 30Gb iPod.
    I second this. I want this to be an Ipod without the phone. (Although I'd want more than 30GB... and of course I'd want an HDMI output jack... but I guess I shouldn't push my luck.)
    If they were to make a phone that was just a phone and an iPod nano combined at a low price point, that would ruin them. It would be like Lexus trying to sell a $15,000 car. You don't go to the Lexus dealer and ask them to make a car without a GPS and heated vibrating seats so that you can afford it.
    I don't understand this argument at all. Using your argument, the only IPod that Apple should be selling is the 80gb Ipod Video.

Apple has always made a variety of products to suit a variety of needs. That's why the IPod video comes in different hard-drive sizes. That's why they have the Nano. That's why they have to Shuffle. I will admit that within a particular class Apple products tend to be more stylish and expensive, but they still make products across a wide spectrum. That's why I'm disappointed that there is only one phone with one feature set. It's certainly not in keeping with the IPod model.
    Post edited by Kilarney on