This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm needing some help

edited January 2007 in Technology
Last night, I went to this big meeting at my local high school about a 5 year plan to make the school better. An outside consultant was brought in to help "focus" ideas and move our school system into the future...

My first thought was, "There must be no leadership in my school system so they hired a consultant to tell them what to do. This way, when it all goes to shit they can blame it on the consultant!" After reading the draft document and hearing how many hours were used and how much debate occurred and what not my opinion changed to, "Oh no! They made a ton of committees so nothing will get done!"

After attending the meeting and joining the "technology" group I have found that this may just be a good thing. Now I have a problem...

I believe that committees only work when a strong leader is in charge of the committee. A committee of peers never works because, if you have more than one person on a committee, nothing gets done. They want a committee of peers...

My peers consists of parents and teachers. They wanted to get students involved but, you know how that always goes...

So, we are doing a little bit of brainstorming about tech and the school system and I'm slowly turning into the de-facto leader because most of the folks don't know a thing about tech. One of the teachers was going on and on about how great it was that some of the kids in the computer lab were learning about databases. I in turn asked her what systems they were teaching. Were they teaching SQL, Oracle, Postgres, etc... Her answer, "they are learning MS Access." I do a good bit of mySQL work when I setup websites and I'm no expert but... to me, teaching kids how to use Access is like teaching them how to fix lawnmower engines when they are entering the work force to work for NASCAR! They may learn the basics of how an internal combustion engine works but that it about it. My aunt, who works for Oracle, once joked to me that there are two types of programmers out there, "those who use Excel and those who are programmers." This one in reference to a discussion we were having about using spreadsheets for everything but tabulating data.

I have spoken with the top IT dawg in my town and we had a few good talks. I am fully aware that the biggest problem in IT is the user base. Users, for the most part, do not want change. I accept this as a fact and I include this thought whenever someone asks me about tech issues. There are times when I think someone would be better off with a Linux system but I still send them out to buy a Dell with XP installed because I do not want this person calling me at 10:00 PM complaining about how some desktop widget/exe file will not run. Do you really need a desktop cat to chases your mouse pointer across the screen??? I also worry about those folks who go out and buy that 4GHz PC just to run a web browser...

Another item that popped up is that out town library recently signed up with a service that allows patrons to download audio books for free. sounds like a great idea no? Well, there is only one hitch, it only works with windows media player as it has some sort of DRM on it. This one woman was absolutely gushing over this. I tried to explain to her that the service does not work if you have an iPod. Her answer? "Well, I'm not going to spend $300 buying my kids iPods, I bought them $50 mp3 players." I looked at her and said, "you are aware that iPods control about 85% of the mp3 market? Why would you want to roll out a service that only 15% of your target audience can use?" I tried to explain that the service should work on ALL mp3 players and not just some...

The funny thing about DRM is that schools should not use it, why? Well, for one thing educational institutions have far greater leeway under the fair use terms of copyright law. I have no doubt that many schools are paying fees for things that they should be getting free access to under fair use.

Here is where I need your help. I'm looking for well formatted discussions about moving from Ms to Linux and closed source to open source and or open standards. I'm going to start digging up stuff on Mass and ODF. Any help you folks can provide would be much appreciated.

Scrym - if you two might care to come to one of our meetings as "special guests" please let me know.

Comments

• While I can't reply in any useful depth at the moment, I can assure you we're both thinking about this. ^_^

Expect some episodes on this exact topic in the near future if nothing else. We can probably also write up proposals or briefs for you to present.

So expect a lot from us as we get the time to put it together, and best of luck!
  • I already told the "leader" about Ubuntu. The only thing I know about the existing computers in the system is that the majority run windows 98. I would like to see something along the lines of purchasing one super-duper computer to use as a server and just re-use the existing computers as clients. Heck, it wouldn't even be that expensive as you can buy decent servers for cheap. What is the current baseline, 64MB of RAM on the server for each client that will connect to it?

A lot depends on how good the existing computers are, Win98 will run well on some low end systems.
  • edited January 2007
    Oh yes, I also plan on burning some Open Office CD-ROMs for everyone on the committee as well as providing some knoppix style CDs for the tech people in the school system.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Steve,

I agree with just about everything you said.

To play Devil's advocate (do Scrym recognize a Devil's advocate? What do they call it - fictional guy advocate?), perhaps open source is not right for the school.

Some toughts:
    1) Most students are familiar with Windows, etc. Having to come up to speed on other things takes time away from learning the topic at hand.
    2) 90% of these kids are going to work in a Windows environment. (Whether they be a secretary, a doctor - whatever.) The better they know this environment, the better off they will be in the workforce.
    3) The only ones who will benefit from learning other operating systems, etc will be the kids that go into the tech field and/or the kids that have an interest in tech as a hobby. I totally agree that these kids should be given the opportunity. I just don't see why all of the other kids need it.

I'm not saying that I believe this... (How many kids go on to be professional musicians... yet we offer band in school) Nonetheless, these are the arguments you are going to get.
  • edited January 2007
    1) If Windows is the best solution than you go with it. I am not a Linux zealot who throws out an nVidia driver because it is closed source.

2) 90%? Did you pull that out of your ass?

3) We all benefit from learning about other operating systems. What if your driver's education class only taught people how to drive with an automatic transmission because they felt manual transmissions were not as good?

Let's not forget that Apple used to own the school computer market... Used to...

Kids are able to learn more than one thing at a time. If you put the Linux machines in beside the Windows machines they will learn both.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Another topic that came up was Myspace.

How should the school deal with kids using MySpace for illicit activities?
  • On the surface I agree that choosing Windows has some merit because of the reasons you stated only because the technology education is so poor. If technology is taught properly, it doesn't matter what software you use. If you teach people e-mail instead of teaching them Outlook, they will be able to use any e-mail client. If you teach people Word Processing instead of teaching them Microsoft Word, it won't matter if they have to use MS Office, Writely or Open Office. If you teach people programming, they'll be able to learn a new language within a week or two.

For an educational environment, the advantages of an open platform are many. The one major disadvantage you point out is actually due to a failure of the technology education curriculum.
  • Forget software. Spend a whole class teaching them hardware. Then they'll know what makes the computer work, not just what keys to push to make an arbitrary OS do x function. Scott's right. Students need to learn ground-up tech models, not how to use access vs. how to use SQL or how to use OpenOffice vs. MS Office. It's not about BASIC vs. C. It's about answering basic questions like: What is a computer? Why does a computer work? What can't a computer do? How is information stored? I'd go on, but really what kids need to learn is all wrapped up in the How Computers Work series starting with episode 060605. Hell, don't spend any extra tax money. Just let them download the damned podcast for free.
  • I'd go on, but really what kids need to learn is all wrapped up in the How Computers Work series starting with episode 060605. Hell, don't spend any extra tax money. Just let them download the damned podcast for free.
    Just cut out Scrym's sailor mouth and talk of piracy in that episode. Yar!
  • It would be awesome if you could get them to use other OSs but I agree that the kids will have to use Microsoft when they leave school. Don't try to do too much, schools are not usually radical organisations, the teachers have got a lot to do and aren't really trained properly for what they have to cope with. If you can even introduce the understanding that there is such a thing as DRM free learning materials (there are a lot of geat educational podcasts out there) and that there are other options even if they don't use them. That would be a HUGE step.
  • edited January 2007
    But think how well they'll be able to use Windows if they knew how to use... *gasp* ...the command line!
    Post edited by Sail on