This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070115 - Content Management Systems

RymRym
edited January 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about Content Management Systems. In the news, we have the iPhone and test-tube babies.

Scott's Thing - Adventure Time
Rym's Thing - Nagano > Any American Gladiator

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Yay! The-Japanese-show-known-in-America-as-Ninja-Warrior! They've been running several marathons of it on TV. Such a great show.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Thank you for inspiring me to blog about the iPhone!

For those who are curious:

A frames based website I setup years ago
    My current blog running on Serendipity
    I set this site up using CMS Made Simple
    This is a very basic install of PHP-Nuke. It will become a functioning website at some point in the future. It's for Girl Scouts...

Knowing what I know now I would have gone with WordPress for my blog. I tried to port over to it but got tons of errors and I could not get my links to match up with the old links. Why is that important? Google. After the last PR update I jumped from PR 3 to PR 5 and if my links are broken then the Google searches will not send traffic to my site until those links get fixed. Since some of the things I do are time sensitive I can't afford to take that risk.
  • Ninja Warrior is teh awesome! Rym, why didn't you just say it was Ninja Warrior???
  • Ninja Warrior is teh awesome! Rym, why didn't you just say it was Ninja Warrior???
    Because it isn't. It's some Japanese show with a different name. It would be like if we said Final Fantasy 3 when talking about Final Fantasy 6.
  • Here's some real information about Sasuke.
  • That show looks awesome. They should do that here, we really need a new American Gladiators type show.
  • edited January 2007
    HMTKSteve,

I just read your blog post about the IPhone. Was that a transcript of the Geek Nights episode or an original blog post? ;-)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • HMTKSteve,

I just read yourblog postabout the IPhone. Was that a transcript of the Geek Nights episode or an original blog post? ;-)
    Check the dates.
    Because it isn't. It's some Japanese show with a different name. It would be like if we said Final Fantasy 3 when talking about Final Fantasy 6.
    It's not actually called Ninja Warrior. I didn't know the real name until Rym posted it. But it's being aired on G4 as "Ninja Warrior", so I decided to call it that. I saw this whole victory by Nagano on a New Year's marathon =)
  • edited January 2007
    I drew my inspiration in writing it from the episode but the ideas were my own before hearing the Geeknights episode. If I were doing a transcript as a blog post I would have gone deeper into it's broadband uses and a few other areas Rym and Scott covered.

I work in Telecom, I have an iPod and I'm one of those folks who is against "technology for technologies sake."

I made up the 90% number because I could not remember (and was too lazy to look up) the actual statistics.

I have used something similar to the "iWidget" line in other blog posts.

Some of the other comments in the blog post you can find echoed in comments I have left on Digg.

Rym and Scott inspired me to write in the way people running out of a burning building can inspire you to also run out of that burning building.

Also: post dates are just that, the date the item was published to the blog. I have several articles in draft mode waiting in the wings on my blog. When I publish them I change the date to the current date so they will appear on top.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Check the dates.
    Huh? Your episode was the 15th and the blog post was the 16th.

In any event... just trying to poke a little fun at Steve. I actually enjoy his blog quite a bit.
  • edited January 2007
    Check the dates.
    Huh? Your episode was the 15th and the blog post was the 16th.

In any event... just trying to poke a little fun at Steve. I actually enjoy his blog quite a bit.
    ORLY? There is a donate button on there somewhere ;)

For the past few months I've been working on an email interview with Tom Vasel, I might just post what I have so far and call it "part 1"....

If you do not know who Tom Vasel is, he is the man behind the Dice Tower. He posts tons of game reviews under a public domain license so they spread all over the web fast!
  • Okay... you brought it up.

I was a little disappointed when I realized that the boardgame reviews on your website were Tom Vasel's. This was for a couple of reasons:
    1) I like it when a blog is comprised of the thoughts of the blog owner. Throwing in the writings of others can make it helter skelter.
    2) Tom's reviews are EVERYWHERE - usenet, boardgamenews.com, boardgamegeek.com, the dicetower.com, rpg.net, amazon.com, etc. At a certain point, it becomes overload.
    3) He writes so many reviews, that there isn't anything "special" to them. In other words, he's doing it for the sake of doing it, and not because he has the urge to say something in particular. I'm not knocking this. I think it's fine for something like boardgamegeek. I just don't think it's blog material.

Okay... I'll stop picking on you now. Just some constructive criticism. I'm actually quite impressed with the effort you put into your blog.
  • edited January 2007
    Tom Vasel and I have a business arrangement in that I help maintain his website and he posts game reviews to my blog. Is he getting the better end of the deal, possibly. I helped setup his new website using a CMS package about 6 months ago. Prior to that his page was entirely done using HTML only. It was a pain to move everything over but we got it done. Now he is living in CMS heaven!

Tom's content may be "over-played" but, since he posts it as soon as he writes it I have it before everyone else copies it from him. I'm working on getting him to write some non-review gaming articles but I have a limited budget.

As it is, I write 50%+ of the content on the blog but I do have other authors who post a piece now and then.

I have about 10 pieces in draft mode right now that just need some polishing up before publishing. The iPhone one was started last week after the keynote but I decided to push it out Tuesday because I figure more posts like it will be coming by the big players soon enough.

I blog because I enjoy writing (even though I am not very good at it) and to pay my web hosting fees. In fact, I just sold a ton of my old AD&D materials to a reseller and I now have enough money for a Wii, if I only I could find one!!! Once I do get one I will begin buying Wii games and reviewing them.

My board game group meets about twice a month and I am trying to set something up where we jointly review a game. This way you can get a perspective on a game from a wide variety of age groups. (The ages in my group range from 15 to 35, high school, college, married, single, with kids, without kids, etc...)

By all means, criticize! I can take it and make changes. I know I'm not the be all end all of blogging!

PS: more game reviews by me are coming and some are already on the site.
  • edited January 2007
    My board game group meets about twice a month and I am trying to set something up where we jointly review a game.
    That sounds really cool.

I've got a blog out there, but I'm not advertising it. You'd have to stumble upon it, and even then you would not know that it was mine.

I'm actually doing it to keep track of a major project that I'm working on. It's a complicated project, and the blog is just as much for me as it is for other people. It helps me to keep track of where I am, how much things have cost, what needs to be done, etc. Once the project is completed (in a few months) I might try to advertise the blog - but I don't really have any desire to do that until the project is done. Part of my concern is that the project may fail. It's a long story, but if things don't line up just right, the project is doomed. So far things look good, but there are still a couple of hurdles to get over.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Just for you I published one of my draft pieces that was waiting in the wings. It's about buying a truck and the greed of car dealerships.