This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070118 - Snow

RymRym
edited January 2007 in Everything Else

Tonight on GeekNights, to celebrate both Rym's birthday and the first snow of the year, we discuss snow. In the news, it snowed here, and Myspace didn't do anything.

Scott's Thing - Barbershop Quartet - Ewok Style
Rym's Thing - Donuts

Comments

• There is actually a good Wikipedia article on doughnuts.

Technically, they can only be done in rear wheel drive vehicles. However, that's getting a little professional. It's absolutely possible to do some nice spins in a front wheel drive vehicle.

My first car was a rear wheel drive Pontiac Grand Prix. It was pure doughnut sweetness.
  • edited January 2007
    Oh, God. I had to keep listening.

Once again Rym speaks about the law... and once again.... he's wrong.

In my jurisdiction (and most others), a parking lot is considered to be a public highway. Therefore, you absolutely can be given a ticket or prosecuted for doing a doughnut in a parking lot. See subsection (13) of this statute. The key phrase is: "other place open temporarily or permanently to public or general circulation of vehicles..." The courts have determined that this includes a parking lot - even very small ones.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Around here, most parking lots are private property. Cops won't even write tickets for accidents in them, and the "speed limits" they put in place aren't enforceable.

In fact, while I was working at IBM, there was a fairly major accident involving one of my co-workers in the parking lot outside the building. The other person just ran a stop sign and plowed right into him. There were several witnesses. The police refused to write a ticket or even respond, since it wasn't a public road.
  • Around here, most parking lots are private property. Cops won't even write tickets for accidents in them, and the "speed limits" they put in place aren't enforceable.

In fact, while I was working at IBM, there was a fairly major accident involving one of my co-workers in the parking lot outside the building. The other person just ran a stop sign and plowed right into him. There were several witnesses. The police refused to write a ticket or even respond, since it wasn't a public road.
    ORLY? Care to comment on this?
  • edited January 2007
    Around here, most parking lots are private property.
    I think that you are confusing terms. Believe it or not, private property can be considered a "highway" for traffic enforcement - at least in the great majority of jurisdictions.

New York says that traffic laws, as a general rule, may be enforced in the following places: "public highways, private roads open to public motor vehicle traffic and any other parking lot." Some statutes opt out of this definition, and limit where they can be enforced - but these are the exception to the general rule. One of those statutes is the "stop sign" statute. Without getting into the complicated details, some stop signs in private parking lots in New York are exempt from police enforcement. Nonetheless, I hope you see the danger of taking your one anecdotal observation and applying it to something different.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited January 2007
    You lucky bastards. We did not got any accumulation here in Virginia :(
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I got an inch here in Yonkers NY. Unfortunately, it's all just powder and slush.

Happy birthday Rym!
  • Baltimore hasn't seen snow in two years. In fact it has yet to drop into the 30's. I'm a sad Panda.
  • We have a fair amount of snow, but the winter has been crazy mild.

Happy Birthday Rym! A quarter century!
  • Snoo-snoo is from the Futurama episode with the Amazons.
  • Most of Oklahoma is recovering from an Ice Storm. And another is coming up.
  • It's been the coldest here in Southern California it has been for a long time. It actually snowed in Malibu the other day! Damn, just a few miles and we would have had snow in LA!
  • I forgot, Happy Birthday Rym
  • Bah, your birthday is four days before mines.
  • Happy Birthday, Rym!!!!
  • In Australia donuts get done a lot, the purpose of them to make black circles on the road/carpark. I believe it would fuck up your tires considering there is not much snow in the majority of the country.

I understand that it isn't your average citizen that does this, its usually your teenage punk kid, with a car too powerful for them to prove that they are men. These are the type of guys who yell "Hey, how about a root" while they are driving around playing doof doof music at night. They often moon other cars.
  • It snowed once in Germany this season. Lots of ski-regions had to be closed down 'cause there was no snow.
  • Get ready for some ice near NY we got a good ice storm here in ohio. Usually I wouldn't comment on something like this but when its been in the 60s that some big news ><

Same here kiwi most of the snow and ski resorts in east and northern ohio have been closed due to it being too warm.
  • Ummm... Donuts are also done in the dirt. I don't believe your "a southern guy said" part of the story. Was he a southerner or just somebody who happens to live in the south?
  • I haven't seen snow in ages. The last time I saw snow was when I was 3-4 years old in New York City (Most likely Queens). I miss snow. :(
  • Trust me...anyone in a small town in Canada knows what "doing donuts" mean.