This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cellphone in Washing Machine

edited January 2007 in Technology
So, I forgot to take my cellphone out of my pocket when I put them on the washing machine, after 5 minute I realize my stupidity. Now I am hoping that after letting it dry on the drying machine it will work again.
It worked with my nano and my mp3 player before my nano.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Oh mans. I've got a large accumulation of wet electronics stories, being around water much of the time. Here's a run-down.

- 1 cell phone, my friend dropped his in a pool. Screen no longer functioning, but still it made calls.
    - 1 iPod, the other day someone dropped their's off the loading ramp into the rocks. It was retrieved and remained dry because it was low-tide. If the water level had been higher, those rocks would have been flooded with water.
    - 1 cell phone, one of my former coaches at US Sabot Nationals got pushed into the water with cell phone in pocket. Still functioned perfectly after dried, although water dot was red.
    - 1 cell phone, dropped off the docks last Saturday by fellow race team member. It fell out of his pocket and sunk down. It was low-tide and a retrieve was attempted, but no succeeded because of the extremely cold water and weather that day.

God, I could go on forever. These are just the ones that have happened in the last 6 months. But, luckily, I have yet to ever lose an electronic device to water =)
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So... If you drop a cheap cell phone in the water you are fine. If you drop an iPhone in the water you are screwed because it is all about the touch screen!
  • So this is the update. The screen lights for 5 minutes and I can still see it in different color of gray after 5 minutes. I think i need to let it dry a bit more. But I can make phone calls :D
  • For those who do not know...

Cell phone manufactures have a special dot inside the cell phone that changes color when it gets wet. This is how they know if the phone got wet and then failed when you claim it "just broke".
  • edited January 2007
    That's why I opened my cell phone and put a dab of glue over it >:) It peels right off, but it keeps the dot dry in case I lose it to the ocean. But don't blame me if you ruin your cell phone by doing this.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The iPhone won't get damaged in the washing machine. In fact it IS a washing machine.

My friend poured bleach on her phone.
  • Updater:
    So after drying it. And let it fall (only once). The screen is working and all the information still in there. I must say that the Samsung SGH407 is very resilient.
  • Was it on or off while it was in there? A lot of mobiles will survive being submerged provided they were turned off.
  • Was it on or off while it was in there? A lot of mobiles will survive being submerged provided they were turned off.
    It was on. For the first 3 minutes after I took it everything was fine (wet but fine). Then it went black and I freaked out. I took both the batteries and the OS card out, and dried and then I hoped for the best.
  • It sounds like you have left a lot of your electronics in the wash. There is a simple step I take to ensure this doesn't happen -check your pockets as you load your clothes into the washer. Didn't your parents teach you how to do chores, people?
  • Well, the thing is that they never teached me how to use the washing machine. You see, back in Peru not many people use the washing machine. Most of us are used to wach our clothes by hand. And to tell you the truth it is more intertaining than many things on tv. Sadly, I only wash my clothes like that during the summer because, the water is freezing during winter. :P