This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2007!

2»

Comments

• edited July 2007
    It would be a cool vacation, its like $500 air fair + $200 in taxes + food and admission (I could probably get in free with a press pass, as I have some friends that work at newspapers) and maybe find a friend that lives near. A whole week abroad with con included under $1000, not bad, maybe next year.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I would go if I could get transportation. It's a bit late to figure this type of thing out though.
  • I feel too old to cosplay for the most part. Also, because I am aware that some students that I substituted for may be going also, there's no way in hell I'm getting dressed up all goofy-like. At least not until I have tenure somewhere.

They would love you forever if they saw you...

But will the employ me? :P
  • edited July 2007
    But will the employ me? :P
    This is why I don't cos-play!

Wish I could go back and fine tune some of these comics.. Some were truely great ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Well, one thing is to cosplay, the other is to crossplay.
  • "Crossplay is the best play! "

Okay maybe not but I got a few thumbs up from some lolita dressing boys. Cool comic up there!
  • I'm going to pick up my badge soon. This Otakon will be my first Con, so I'm very excited. I'm going as Hitsugaya Toshiro from Bleach in Gigai form.
  • Are we going to have a Geeknights meet-up?
  • I met Rym and Scott today. They were so cool.
  • I don't know how you guys can go to Otakon ever year, it's crazy. I can't see myself going again for another year or so after this year. I need a serious break.
  • I'm going to go as soon as I can afford it. I can't wait!
  • Otakon was awesome as always. I also met Rym and Scott and agree that they are awesome, but I didn't get to spend a lot of time with them, though.
  • My boyfriend told me that while I was away one of you guys asked about my geeknight pins. Was it anyone here? Sorry if I missed you.
  • edited July 2007
    I was stuck in the Maryland suburbs of DC and in northern Virginia all Friday, so I missed stopping by. Boo hiss. However, I did sign a lease in MD, so I can plan on next year.

BTW, if you want to rent a place, don't have a dog. I hadn't realized how spoiled I have become by owning for the last eight years. Landlords are so picky! But that's another thread...

That brings me to two questions I would like to hear the citizens of this august forum hold forth upon: My son will be 7-almost-8 next Otakon, and is reasonably precocious (in my totally unbiased opinion). He seems to be leaning geeky, like his dad. He likes Legos and playing Pokemon on his Nintendo DS. He likes animation in general, and (right now) his favorites are Pokemon(any of it), Xiaolin Showdown, Looney Toons, and a splash of others. We tried watching Mobile Suit Gundam Seed together, but he wasn't buying, and it didn't really speak to me, either. He showed some eagerness for Naruto, but I couldn't stand it. So, with that scant information:
    1. Would he be at all likely to be interested in anything going on at Otakon?
    2. Would any of y'all have ideas of anime we could try? My biggest criterion is that it has to be at least watchable by a late-thirtysomething geek like me.
    Post edited by Hank on
  • There's always Otachan and maybe you should try Sgt Frog or Legendz, though they would both be in Japanese.
  • Does it have to be in English? If so, I really can't give any suggestions. If it can be in Japanese, pick really any shonen fighting show.
  • I seen Rym and Scott walking around and at Gekiga. I really chickened out when wanting to say hi! (sigh)

I was going to finally say hi in con feedback since i was only a row behind them but I still chickened...damn.
  • I seen Rym and Scott walking around and at Gekiga. I really chickened out when wanting to say hi! (sigh)

I was going to finally say hi in con feedback since i was only a row behind them but I still chickened...damn.
    Opportunity to hang out/meet two cool guys completely wasted.
  • I talked to them at their artist alley table and I saw them at the con feedback panel, but had to leave before the end.

Chickening out was wise. I would have bitten you many times.
  • Would any of y'all have ideas of anime we could try? My biggest criterion is that it has to be at least watchable by a late-thirtysomething geek like me.
    Cowboy Bebop. At least that's what They tell me.

Also, when you are looking at an older page in a thread and you click quote, it doesn't work. Any way to fix this?
  • Also, when you are looking at an older page in a thread and you click quote, it doesn't work. Any way to fix this?
    We are aware and Scott said he will work on it.

I find it hard to believe that either of you are really that intimidating . . . but maybe. Hahaha.
  • edited July 2007
    I'll remember to wear chain-mail at Katsucon. Sink your teeth into that! Mhahaha!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I got to see Rym and Scott at their artist ally table. I got to take their survey which was fun, but I didn't get to go to any of their panels... *Sighs* Too much to do at otakon and never enough time.
  • I saw Scrym at the artist ally table and I took their survey. That was cool. I also saw them at the Anime Club FAQ. I was a little nervous talking to them, but they were pretty cool. ^__^
  • Anybody get pictures of the GeekNights posse (forum members)? Did you guys take a group shot?
  • I was a little nervous talking to them

I think of them as "celebreties" since they produce something I am entertained by, but if/when I meet them, I don't think "starstruck" will be a case for me, since they're  two totally cool, regular sounding dudes...