This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Netflix Watch It Now

Comments

• All of Mad Men is on Instant Streaming...
    Well fuck, now I don't have any reason to not get into Mad Men. Probably start that after I finish Slayers.
  • watch Mad Men! It's goooooooooooood
  • Yeah mad Men is good. It feels like a sci-fi but its a drama (because they studied Hitchcock for inspiration).
  • Gungrave is a fun anime that is now on Netflix. It starts as a yakuza story and then there are zombies.
  • Gungrave is a fun anime that is now on Netflix. It starts as a yakuza story and then there are zombies.
    Cool, I watched it on DVD, but if it's on instant I may have to check it out again.
  • What is this a nime called TO ?
    I didn't like the show, but the game was pretty sweet.

Also all that talk of Satoshi Kon at the start of this thread reminded me of this show I watched in high school called Paranoia Agent. After Wikipedia-ing it I realized he was the director for that. Gotta watch that again.
  • Watched all of Baccano recently. Took a few episodes to get into but I ended up liking it a lot. Hope they continue it someday. Might have to track down some of the novels.
  • Does anyone else use the Xbox streaming client? Because with yesterday's dashboard update, it's like they took a crowbar to it. They removed party watch and the ability to restart a program from the beginning (unless I'm missing something), and TV shows now start automatically when you select the icon. You can't access the episode list until whatever episode was last selected is already playing, and then you only get a small thumbnail list across the bottom of the screen. The selection screen is cluttered, and, somehow very laggy. There's a definite, noticeable pause of about a second when you flip from one category to another before you regain control, where before it was instant.

I really want to know what was going through their heads when they designed this... and hope that somehow they fix it soon. About 90% of my usage is watching TV shows on my 360, and, well, they've done a pretty good job of breaking that. I've watched most of the shows I really want to see, so I mostly keep it for the sake of "I want to watch X now," but now that it is a chore to use, well, that's not worth the money I pay for it.
  • Does anyone else use the Xbox streaming client? Because with yesterday's dashboard update, it's like they took a crowbar to it.
    Add one to the "everyone should get a real computer connected to their television" scorecard.
  • edited December 2011
    What? That's pretty terrible. I use the 360 as my primary Netflix platform as well.

edit: and as to Scott's point, it is really convenient the way they had it organized on the X-box. We can watch on the PC, but the ability to flip through your queue was a nice interface touch that Netflix site did not have as much.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited December 2011
    I use my computer as well, but my current living setup is not conducive to using it as my primary media platform. Had I the extra computer/monitor, yes, I'd leave the 360 client behind, but it's not in the cards at the moment.

Edit - Essentially what gomidog said. It was a pretty nice interface before, being able to flip through vast numbers of titles extremely quickly, and it had a nice aesthetic as well. Here's a link to Netflix's press release. The comments below are pretty indicative of the reception. http://blog.netflix.com/2011/12/netflix-unveils-new-xbox-experience.html
    Post edited by Tesla on
  • What? Really? Ugh. Not looking forward to that. Perhaps the interface is still the same on the PS3.
  • What? That's pretty terrible. I use the 360 as my primary Netflix platform as well.

edit: and as to Scott's point, it is really convenient the way they had it organized on the X-box. We can watch on the PC, but the ability to flip through your queue was a nice interface touch that Netflix site did not have as much.
    Uh, Boxee + Boxee remote?
  • Penny Arcade shares these sentiments - an excerpt from Tycho's post today:
    So when you remove Netflix, and you remove Hulu, and then you replace them with versions that are demonstrably less useful, you impact my life in a negative way. This new Netflix app in particular is brutal and user aggressive, replacing the lavish DVD covers with endless rows of chomping shark-teeth
  • There was some reason why we didn't use Netflix on there. I can't remember what it was. I know Hulu is terrible on Boxee because of the loudness of the commercials.
  • There was some reason why we didn't use Netflix on there. I can't remember what it was. I know Hulu is terrible on Boxee because of the loudness of the commercials.
    I don't watch Hulu, but aren't the commercials loud no matter where you watch it? I use the mute button for that shit.
    We'll reconnect Netflix to Boxee tonight and never look back. ;^)
  • Rym could not mute it or something. I don't remember, it was some BS that he hated.
    I'm gonna try out this XBox 360 Netflix to see why people are crying about it.
    Have you used the previous version, Scott? That is a big part of the problem, that the previous version was much better, and now they strip away large parts of what made it good. If you've never used it, you may not react as strongly to these omissions, as you never used them.
  • This is the reason why I got an internet TV that has a Netflix app.
    Have you used the previous version, Scott? That is a big part of the problem, that the previous version was much better, and now they strip away large parts of what made it good. If you've never used it, you may not react as strongly to these omissions, as you never used them.
    I used it.
  • I don't think it's really all that bad. They made some interesting design choices with the UI, nothing I would call terrible or makes it unusable. The loading an episode automatically thing on selection is an interesting/odd choice, but when you think about it in terms of movies and not TV shows it makes sense. They probably just need a way to either choose for that to happen or not in a setting menu, or just treat TV shows differently from movies.
  • So THAT'S why our Xbox Live went out last night. I'll have to check it out. It might finally be time to get a real computer attached to the TV. My shitty little Ubuntu box wouldn't cut it anymore.
  • There's nothing wrong with the new XBox Netflix. You are probably the same people who complained about Vanilla 2. It's different, but it's not better or worse. Just deal with it.
  • There's nothing wrong with the new XBox Netflix. You are probably the same people who complained about Vanilla 2. It's different, but it's not better or worse. Just deal with it.
    Vanilla 2, while jarring, didn't remove functionality or decrease performance, which this update did. You're right, aesthetically, that will pass, so throw that point out. I still consider removing party watch, a noticeable lag between switching categories where there was none before, and jumping into a TV show before letting you select an episode to be flaws. Perhaps I overreacted earlier, but I stand by my claim that this update has objectively worsened the product.
  • Vanilla 2, while jarring, didn't remove functionality or decrease performance
    I disagree. For one, the forum search. There isn't even an advanced search any more!
    I don't know if they've fixed it, but last time I tried Boxee, the app took one look at most TV shows, went "Nope.jpg", and fucked up everything possible about it.
  • I don't have any lag moving between categories. I never used party watch, so I didn't even notice it was missing. I also almost never watch TV on Netflix, only movies.