This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Washing pussies.

edited January 2007 in Everything Else
That cat video is hilarious. You'd think they wouldn't make the machine that big then the cat wouldn't be able to jump around that much.

Anyway I have cat washing experience which I shall share with you. I used to have an old cat who the vet told us was dying but lived for about 8 years after that. She kept getting sick, we'd decide to have her put down and then she'd get better. Towards the end she had arthritis and wasn't able to wash herself properly, so I would wash her in the kitchen sink every now and then. It wasn't that hard, she was small and quite sick so couldn't fight back, and I think she was quite happy to be be clean.

Fast forward a couple of years, she has died and I have a new cat. He is a about 10 months old and I spot a couple of fleas on him. My dog is allergic to fleas so I say to my grandmother that I'll wash the cat, she doesn't think its a good idea, but I say, 'It'll be fine, I used to wash Lucy all the time.'

Unfortunately there is a large difference between washing a small, old cat and washing a cat in the prime of its life. After 5 minutes me, the kitchen floor and the benches were covered in water. I have scratches on my arms, neck and hands, and a lovely deep cut right along my breast (which hurt like hell). A soapy, slippery, dripping cat has bolted up the passage and is hiding under a bed.

Bad idea.

Comments

• Here's a cat washing strategy I just thought up. Get a plastic kiddy pool in the backyard. Fill it with soapy water. Put some sort of fence around it so the cat cant escape. Throw the cat into it. The cat will go crazy, but it's in the back yard, so who cares about the mess? After a minute the cat will be clean and you can take it out. No need to pay for anyone to use their machine.
  • That would have to be some fence to keep a cat in. They jump pretty high, probably especially so if it was pissed off.
  • There's really only one true way to wash a cat.
  • Do you think you could desensitise them to water if you introduced them at a very young age?
  • Probably, if you like getting scratched.
  • Could be worth it in the long run. :D Anyway, there's not that much an itty bitty kitten can do against GIANT LEATHER GLOVES.