This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Twilight Princess

edited January 2007 in Video Games
Well, I broke down and used some of my birthday money to buy Twilight Princess. As I feared... I can only play for about 45 minutes before getting queasy...

The game is fun but I fear it will be a long time before I complete it.

Yes, I have tried taking the motion sickness pills and it works for a while. It is too bad though because I could really get to liking this game!

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Ewww...motion sickness, eh? Well, if you can manage to stomach it[pun intended], Twilight Princess is great. But, like you said, it will take a while to complete.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Curious. Although I recall hearing a mention of nausea because the Wii had the motion sensitive controller, I never had, until now, considered its affect. Granted, I have played many video games over my few years, all of them had been on the PC. Before the Wii, I had never owned a console--let alone one of such intense immersion.

What is really odd is that I think that Resident Evil 4 on the Game cube emulator is far more nauseating than any of Twilight Princess (Even with the Duel Clawshot mania). Both are great games however, and from what I hear Twilight Princess isn't anywhere near Ocarina and Windwaker.

I am however sorry for your loss Steve, I really hope you are able to finish the Twilight Princess game, I found it to be very...accommodating, to the Wiimote's novelty.
  • edited January 2007
    Ummm...I don't think he means it is because of the Wii motion sensitivity. Steve has mentioned his motion sickness to some games in the past.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I made it almost to saving the kid and the monkey then I had to put it down for the night.

Is there some way to stand still and spin? I keep circling things when I try to turn and look at them.
  • Is there some way to stand still and spin? I keep circling things when I try to turn and look at them.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Clarify?
  • Clarify - Is there a way to turn around. I often find myself beside something but facing the wrong direction. In my attempt to change my direcetion I often end up circling the object in question.

• Is there some way to stand still and spin? I keep circling things when I try to turn and look at them.
    Sounds to me like someone did not read the instruction manual.

Sounds to me like someone did not read the instruction manual.
    Who reads the manual? You just jump in and start playing!!!
  • I know for sure you can just use the joy on the nunchuck and that'll change Links position, clockwise or counterclockwise but static with where he stands. You can then use the Z-target to focus the camera behind him. I know I used the yellow c-pad? (Sorry, I'm new at consoles) to line up really precise focuses.

• Who reads the manual? You just jump in and start playing!!!
    Then go on the Internets and make a fool of yourself by asking questions that are answered in the manual!

Then go on the Internets and make a fool of yourself by asking questions that are answered in the manual!
    What is it the kids are sayin' these days? "pwn3d"?

Once again you say nothing at all.

I have since re-read the manual and I find nothing about standing still and turning in place. The closest thing would be using "c" and looking around but that is not what I am looking for.

I have also been having some problems in that the nunchuk does not work as I would expect it to. i.e. push up to move forward. Instead it works relative to where you are on the screen. This can be a pain as some camera angles cause the screen to be obscured. I expect, in a 3-d type game, to have the camera angle constantly be behind me. This is not the case in this game and it has caused me some problems getting used to the fact.

• I have also been having some problems in that the nunchuk does not work as I would expect it to. i.e. push up to move forward. Instead it works relative to where you are on the screen. This can be a pain as some camera angles cause the screen to be obscured. I expect, in a 3-d type game, to have the camera angle constantly be behind me. This is not the case in this game and it has caused me some problems getting used to the fact.
    Trust me, control relative to camera is the way to go. This is the reason that Mario 64 was so revolutionary. When they first tried to make 3rd person 3D games , putting the camera always behind the player usually resulted in having the camera end up in bad places. If you move the camera to a nice place, but don't move the controls you will go nuts. Imagine if the camera were to the right of Link and he was facing the right side of the screen. Imagine if pushing forward on the stick made him move forward from his perspective and right from your perspective. That would be the worst. Controls relative to camera is the main reason 3D games are even playable at all. They haven't changed it since they invented it in the late 90's for a reason.
  • Assuming this thread is about TP in general as opposed to just the controls . . .

I'm in the Gerudo area at the moment. The good ol' music is gone. T_T
    Anyway, it's well-designed so as far as I can see. The howling mechanic pisses me off quite a bit, though. That and how the Clawshot isn't as useful as the Longshot.
    Oh, bosses are a bit too easy too. They're nothing like the hellish battles in Majora's Mask.
    I like it, but it just isn't clicking with me as well as OOT or WW(which I enjoyed the non-sailing portions of).