This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii-mote and batteries

edited January 2007 in Video Games
What batteries are(is?) everyone using with their Wii-motes and how long do they last?

Within one week of having my Wii the batteries that came with the Wii-mote were dead. The Wii-mote I got for my daughter (which is not used as often) is still at about 75% using the original batteries.

Comments

• That thing eats batteries for dinner. I use rechargeable ones when I can remember to recharge them.
  • The batteries that come with it are really terrible. A commercial brand battery will last much longer, but it does still suck them fairly quickly.
  • I noticed that when I was playing Zelda, the batteries ran out often. I imagine this is because while playing Zelda I'm constantly doing stuff with the Wiimote. Also, when using the nunchuk the battery must drain more quickly. Any other assumption defies the laws of physics. Since I beat Zelda and have only been playing mostly non-nunchuk games, like Excite Truck, Wario Ware and VC games, the battery life has been much better. I haven't replaced Wii batteries in a long time.
  • Thankfully, I've developed good battery recharge discipline, because I've had a cordless mouse and keyboard for several years. It also means I've had to buy 5 pairs of rechargeable batteries, which aren't cheap. Regarding the batteries themselves, Energizer rechargeables are quite good, Eveready's are a bit shit, and using high-quality non-rechargeables, well, I shudder to think how much keeping the mouse and keyboard powered would have cost without rechargeables. My suggestion: invest early in rechargeable batteries for your Wiimotes.
  • I do have some rechargeables, I just have to find out which remote control is currently using them...

I do agree with Apreche, games with the nunchuk do seem to drain the batteries a lot quicker than others. I did not notice a big drain until I started playing games that use the nunchuk.
  • Haven't gotten the Wii yet but my dad has solved our problem of running out of batteries at inconvienient times. He goes to the local warehouse club that he has a membership to (BJ's around here) and buys a few 30 packs of AA batteries. And whenever we're down to just one pack, he goes and buys three more. Not sure how well Duracell batteries would work in the Wiimote, but for use with other stuff around the house it's very effective, and less expensive in the long run.