This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hotel Dusk

edited January 2007 in Video Games
Does anyone have it? Is it something that I should get in the not so distant future? I think it looks awesome in that film noir kinda way.

Comments

• I'm buying it soon. I just beat Phoenix Wright, so it won't be long before I order it.
  • I only just picked it up today, and I'll be giving it a spin real soon. I'll come back and give an update later.
  • edited January 2007
    It's in the mail. I get a deal from buy.com - brand new for $22 including shipping. (using Google checkout). I may not break it open until my trip to Washington DC in March.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I've been playing it and I must say I enjoy it immensely. I'm a big pushover for the adventure games, but this one comes off real well. It's a lot of story and a lot of dialogue, so be warned, but the dialogue is real polished and comes off well. The whole game gives off a very noir feel, but doesn't feel forced or corny in the process. The characters may talk about "scratch" instead of money and refer to their "peice" but it all comes off very naturally. As for what game play there is, the whole sideways hold works real well and the stylus is incorporated nicely for that point-and-click sorta feel.
    I guess to sum, I like it. It's good. Go check it out.
  • Is there any way to speed up the text?
  • Is there any way to speed up the text?
    Read faster?
  • Read faster?
    Uh... that's the problem. I can read the text much faster than it is displayed. So... wise guy... any way to speed up the display of the text?
  • Read faster?
    Uh... that's the problem. I can read the text much faster than it is displayed. So... wise guy... any way to speed up the display of the text?
    I don't know.
  • edited February 2007
    The only possibility of speeding up the text is by pushing one of the buttons or tapping the touch screen, if that doesn't work and there is no options menu before you start a new game or continue your SOL. I don't own the game yet so this is just a guess but I'd be willing to bet that the manual and google know how, if you can.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • edited February 2007
    According to the 1up Yours podcast, that is the problem with the game that the text can't be sped up.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2007
    I just finished Chapter 2. Some spoiler free thoughts:

1) I like the feel of the game. It really does feel like a vintage detective novel.
    2) This is not a game that you can pick up and play for ten minutes. Some conversations alone can take 15 minutes... which gets me to my next point.
    3) The conversations are at times absurdly long. I wish there was a way to speed up the display of text.
    4) The game is incredible linear. More than I would have liked.
    5) It feels like they added things to the game for the sole purpose of dragging it out. The "quizzes" at the end of each chapter are pretty annoying.
    6) There are not nearly as many puzzles as I would like. So far, it feels like 15% puzzles and 85% conversation. Hopefully this will change.
    7) If I miss anything the first time, I can't imagine going back and playing the game a second time. The conversations are just way too tedious.

Using a letter grade system, I would give it a B.
    Post edited by Kilarney on

• 7) If I miss anything the first time, I can't imagine going back and playing the game a second time. The conversations are just way too tedious.
    Just to let you know, on a replay, you can speed up the text you've already seen by holding down the stylus/arrow key when you advance the dialogue.
  • Well, I finished Hotel Dusk.

I'm from the generation that grew up on adventure games, so I was really looking forward to this one.
    My conclusion... it was a total snooze fest. The puzzles were way too simple, and the dialog was tedious. By the end of the story, I just didn't care.

I've started Phoenix Wright, and enjoy it tremendously. Phoenix Wright doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes for a much more fun game.

I hope more adventures come out, but Hotel Dusk didn't do it for me.