This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Glimpse News Podcast

edited January 2007 in Everything Else
RSS Feed: http://www.switchpod.com/users/glimp7/feed.xml
iTunes Page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=213473416

So this podcast is recorded and published every single week day, that of course mean monday through friday. By the way, I stole "things of the day" from Rym and Scott." The big difference is, I play them on the show, and they're always somebody talking, since I can't stick visuals in this podcast. But my show consists of world, tech, and then gaming news, and opinions on the stories.
This friday, I'm getting a real microphone, the Samson C03U, which connects by USB. Right now, I'm using the built in mic on the macbook, and it's alright, but definitely not perfect. Also, don't listen to the show in the flash players on switchpod.com. They screwed something up, and the episodes that were formatted in 64kbps mp3 sound like the chipmunks. Other than that, check out the show. It usually lasts for about 30 minutes, so it's not too long, or too short.

Comments

• Cool, I'll check it out.
  • Any constructive criticism would be helpful. If anybody else wants to listen and give an opinion on the quality, it'd be great. Anything about the structure of the show, the stories, whatever, I'd love to hear.
  • It was okay, but you do kind of ramble. I think that a little editing would do your show a world of good. I will keep checking you're show out.
  • I see, so to put it simply, I go off on topics that don't have much to do with the story I'm talking about? That makes sense. And yeah, I definitely need to spend more time going in and fixing the details. It's one thing to stick transitional music in there, but another to actually edit what you say.
  • A little bit of rambling is okay; but sometimes you went off on tangents that were kind of out there, one instance was your thoughts about gravity causing all or most of the effects of getting old. I think you need to focus on the ideas you want to talk about and if you get too far off topic cut it from the show. You also really need to cut out the longer gaps and the "hmm"s and "umm"s.
    Good effort all around and I will sample the show again next week, I look forward to hearing more.
  • Yeah, I think you listened to the first several episodes, because I went back and listened and just noticed quite a bit of ummness goin' on. Now I've realized that silent pauses are a million times more professional, and they sound really good for some reason.

But I now have ten episodes, so proud of myself. I did one every single school day for the past two weeks. That's almost more episodes than I used to have on my old podcast, which had a co-host. But this last episode, GNP- Episode 009, which is ten with the pilot, is a little...crazy. Go to the feed and check that one out. It's nothing like the others. In fact, is you just listen to that one, try episode eight. You'll see why what I mean.
  • I will. I listened to about half of both episodes 5 and 6. I will definitely check out episode 9. Keep it up!
  • At least you've got a voice that isn't painful to listen to, quite the contrary in fact.
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks for the compliment. And also, the Samson C03U mic is coming on Monday, like I said on the show ; ). UPS somehow incorrectly sent it, so hopefully, the next show will improve dramatically, as far as audio quality goes.

Just to see what you guys think, what about the way I do "things of the day?" Should I do how Geeknights does it, and just talk about them and leave the links on the website?

Oh yeah, I registered and got hosting for glimpsenewspodcast.com. All I gotta do is use Cyberduck to upload to it. NO MO Geocities FO ME.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • So it came, it came! Now I'm stumped, because I realized that to make this mic sound good, you actually have to use the mixer in your audio editing program (garageband, audacity). Garageband is the one I'm using, so does anyone know anything about setting it up for a USB microphone or a microphone without a physical mixer? I've messed with it, but I'm always getting issues.
  • Episode 11 is your best so far! The mic sounds great. Keep it up!