This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070131 - Anime Openers and Closers

2»

Comments

• The new One Piece opener running now is about 2:00~2:30 long, but I think that's mostly because they are incredibly close to where the manga is and they need to eat up time so not much happens in the episodes. Normally they'd do fillers but where they are in the story that's impossible.
  • I finally found the Evangelion Ultra-Relax remix on YouTube. The first half of the video is the original Ultra Relax. The second half is the Eva version.
  • edited February 2007
    Thought the opener was about one minute too long though.
    Pretty-much every single opener is always 1:30, give or take a few seconds. ^_~
    Why 1:30? I really like what a lot of television shows are doing by ditching traditional theme songs. With increased commercial time continually cutting into the actual shows, creators are opting for 15-second placeholder openings. I don't know how Japanese television/ads work(s), but I would welcome with open arms an anime with a highly-effective but very short opener. Really, 30 seconds is enough to get any opening concept across, especially when you watch it 13, 26, or more times in the course of a series. OVAs, by definition, could run a bit longer, I suppose.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I'd wager it's because it's 90 seconds you don't have to animate every week. That's a whole lotta frames.
  • I maintain the opinion that the best openers are the ones to giant robot shows. If those don't make you pumped up and ready for the show, then you aren't human.
  • The Simpsons opener varies based on the run time of the episode and commercials in the show. The creators wrote a long opener at first because they had trouble filling the time slot and every second of opener is a second they didn't have to fill with content. They can vary the length very easily. My guess is that the reason the syndicated episodes tend to have the short openers is that they probably add more commercials.
  • I love the Battlestar Gallactica opener, I really like the bit where it shows flashes of the upcoming episode. They pick clips that peak your interest in the episode and I always watch it really closely and wonder 'oh, how are they going to get to that bit?'.
  • I love the Battlestar Gallactica opener, I really like the bit where it shows flashes of the upcoming episode. They pick clips that peak your interest in the episode and I always watch it really closely and wonder 'oh, how are they going to get to that bit?'.
    I never could figure out if the number of survivors changed depending on what happened in the series.
  • edited February 2007
    I love the Battlestar Gallactica opener, I really like the bit where it shows flashes of the upcoming episode. They pick clips that peak your interest in the episode and I always watch it really closely and wonder 'oh, how are they going to get to that bit?'.
    So is this no longer restricted to just anime openers and closers?

I liked the "Voyager" opener better than the show. The "Enterprise" opener for the couple of episodes in the last season when they were in the mirror universe was very good. Do you remember the "Tales from the Darkside" opener?
    I never could figure out if the number of survivors changed depending on what happened in the series.
    I've been trying to figure it out too, but kinda halfheartedly. Events in the show seem to effect the number, but, it's not a straight one-to-one affect. That is, if you see one guy killed, the next episode might still have more survivors. So I think that population flux within the less interesting everyday part of the fleet has more effect than the shiny pretty people on the show.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I never could figure out if the number of survivors changed depending on what happened in the series.
    I've been trying to figure it out too, but kinda halfheartedly. Events in the show seem to effect the number, but, it's not a straight one-to-one affect. That is, if you see one guy killed, the next episode might still have more survivors. So I think that population flux within the less interesting everyday part of the fleet has more effect than the shiny pretty people on the show.
    Well the number changes, but I have no idea how the show writers figure it out, maybe they have a formula.
  • edited February 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first G.i.t.S.:S.A.C. opening theme sung in Russian? (I believe Rym thought it was sung in Japanese.)
    I certainly didn't think that. ^_~
    OK, OK. My bad. Let's not turn this into "pick on the old otaku." :- ) Between Ivanova on "B5" and the "Night Watch" films, I'm becoming a bit of a Russian geek, as well as everything else. So when something Russian in pop culture doesn't get its full due, I'm always jumping up and down to point it out.

BTW, Rhinocero, you should check out Anime World Order's podcasts for more info on the Cartoon Fantasy Organization: Central Florida Operation (CFO squared).
    I listen to anime world order regularly, I love that show, and I listened to that episode. and it was great. but I am pretty sure they didn't say anything about randall stuckey, unless my mind wandered, which is very possible.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2007
    I liked the Read Or Die opener (links to the first nine minutes of the show - includes a lead in bit and other stuff with the actual theme wedged in the middle. The only one I could find on Youtube. :/) a fair bit. The one for the OVA (3 episodes?). ALSO Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu has an opening theme that I will love forever. It is just nuts. There is dancing. What's it called...Love Love Tropicana? Has anyone else seen Guu? It's great to watch with a group of people!

I remember being impressed with the first Bleach opener. Quality animation and it's kind of got some Kubotite's (manga-ka) Inherent Cool. It's definitely reminiscent of the art spreads from the manga.The fansubs I saw were really clever with the way they integrated the fansub credits into the opening animation too. It must have taken a lot of effort to do it.

The Samurai Champloo opening I hated for a while and then it grew on me... I'm not certain how I feel about it.

I really have to find an mp3 of Ultra Relax now. Mmm, the Ouran opening too.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • edited February 2007
    I'm really in love with the Gungrave opener. It sets up a very sad yet evil and primal mood for the story. The closer is excellently wistful as well, and at a certain point in the show is suddenly grayscaled from then on to match a major plot point. It's an overall great show, as long as you skip episode one. Just dive right in with episode two. And it would have been much, much better with 50 percent less of the sci-fi. It makes a much, much, much better gangster story.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited February 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first G.i.t.S.:S.A.C. opening theme sung in Russian? (I believe Rym thought it was sung in Japanese.)
    I certainly didn't think that. ^_~
    OK, OK. My bad. Let's not turn this into "pick on the old otaku." :- ) Between Ivanova on "B5" and the "Night Watch" films, I'm becoming a bit of a Russian geek, as well as everything else. So when something Russian in pop culture doesn't get its full due, I'm always jumping up and down to point it out.

BTW, Rhinocero, you should check out Anime World Order's podcasts for more info on the Cartoon Fantasy Organization: Central Florida Operation (CFO squared).
    I listen to anime world order regularly, I love that show, and I listened to that episode. and it was great. but I am pretty sure they didn't say anything about randall stuckey, unless my mind wandered, which is very possible.
    Not to pimp AWO too hard on Rym & Scott's site, but check out AWO ep. 44 at around the 7 minute mark for a discussion of the public arguments in the CFO newsletters with Randall Stuckey.

...And as far as openers go, I also gotta say that the faux "K.U." opener in "Genshiken" never fails to make me smile...
    Post edited by 40-year-old-otaku on