This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

CNN Anti-Atheism Segment.

edited February 2007 in News
I saw this on Digg tonight. Honestly, people on Digg tend to get a bit worked up, so I almost dismissed it. Then I watched the video. It's bad, folks. It's really bad. If you're in a good mood, don't watch it, for it is highly off-putting. I'm speechless.

Comments

• *speechless*
  • Yeah, this was pretty ridiculous. Insert Jew, black, or gay for atheist and it would never have been aired.
  • edited February 2007
    Ummm..."Lined up, ready to pound them"!?

That guy there sorta attempted to defend us...but he crumbled under peer-pressure at the last minute.

[Edit]This is exactly the sort of reason I'm an atheist. If religion creates hate, then how can it be good?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Religion can be plenty good for a person, as long as they're not stupid about it. It's sort of like the difference between someone that enjoys a drink with friends, and someone that needs a drink to function in a day. It's not all bad, but many people have shitty practices about it. If everyone could just agree to disagree about religion, there wouldn't really be a problem.
  • I have not yet watched this but...

CNN is not known for being pro-religion (except Islam of late) so I find it hard to believe they would air something like this as a serious piece. I'll watch it today.
  • I have not yet watched this but...

CNN is not known for being pro-religion (except Islam of late) so I find it hard to believe they would air something like this as a serious piece. I'll watch it today.
    It's called pandering and CNN has been lagging behind Fox because they don't do it enough. Maybe this is the start.
  • So apparently CNN got Dawkins to go on tonight (Thursday, Feb 8) at 8 o'clock EST. Should be interesting.
  • Does this stink of publicity stunt to anyone else?

Our demographic is about the smallest one to tune into CNN. If you were the producer, how would you go about getting us to watch? That's right; you'd stage something to bait us, make us post your name all over t3h nets, and then we'll all line up like good little wooden soldiers to see the rebuttal.
  • Does this stink of publicity stunt to anyone else?

Our demographic is about the smallest one to tune into CNN. If you were the producer, how would you go about getting us to watch? That's right; you'd stage something to bait us, make us post your name all over t3h nets, and then we'll all line up like good little wooden soldiers to see the rebuttal.
    CNN isn't that smart.
  • So apparently CNN got Dawkins to go on tonight (Thursday, Feb 8) at 8 o'clock EST. Should be interesting.
    So, will this be a one-time deal for CNN or will they begin allowing (knowledgable people on) both sides to speak on all discussions?
  • CNN isn't that smart.
    I bet James Surowiecki would give the them benefit of the doubt. =)

- - -

As for the whole video, I don't find it shockingly terrible as much as I find it idly humorous. I mean, look at the first "expert," she so chooses her vocabulary such that every word emotionally hits the viewer (for better or for worse). Even the man who tried to play the card of, lets be fair here, totally played a subtle hand. The blond telecaster gave credence to everything the black woman said and did not even entertain the notion of fairness that the man "defended." The whole thing, although scathingly biased, just doesn't feel like something to get all uppity about.
  • edited February 2007
    Here's the Dawkins Rebuttal from the other day on CNN. Dawkins pretty much just gives it to them straight. There is a disappointing lack of pwning, but he gets the point across.
    Post edited by Sail on