This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The future value of your games

edited February 2007 in Video Games
As most gamers of a certain age will tell you, we all have a soft spot for all things retro, this soft spot is what drives people to willingly spend a lot of money on old systems, games and accessories. While there is nothing wrong with that (on my opinion) it gets me wondering if this sort of thing will repeat itself with games of the "post-SNES" eras.

So let's concentrate on the last gen consoles and games: X-box, Gamecube and the PS2 do you see in the future a copy of Guitar Hero selling for over $1000, or are the new games unworthy of this "honor"? What other games do you think will go down in history as retro gems of the 21st Century?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Geez, I can't see any being of that caliber. It's a very hard sort of thing to predict.

Probably Halo, simply because of it's popularity.

I can't think of any more deserving than the Half-Life games, but they aren't console games so chances are that they will be readily available forever through download.

I have no clue XD But it's a very though-provoking topic.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I don't think any game price would skyrocket that much. Even defining games from the NES era, such as Super Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, are worth nothing right now. Sure games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III from the SNES era go for more, but nothing too spectacular. I am guessing games such as ICO, katamari damacy or something like that might go for more in the future.
  • The trouble is that once your copy of Guitar Hero is worth $1000 it will no longer be in mint condition.
  • Games only increase in value due to rarity.

IF you have an exclusive or low print run game (Pokemon Box) than it will go up in value as long as nothing replaces it in the game world. If the Wii Pokemon Stadium game comes out and offers the same features as the GC Pokemon Box game prices for Pokemon Box will likely drop.

Limited edition GBAs still fetch good money.

On a side note, I just sold off 90% of my AD&D collection. Some items I got good money for, others not so good. It only depends on rarity, condition and demand. The orange cover version of B3 Palace of the Silver Princess can fetch upwards of $1K simply because it was only ever released to staff members and quickly recalled. The green cover version is far more common and sells for next to nothing. You can download a PDF of the orange version but it does not affect the price.

Unlike Dragon magazines, a market that crashed when the PDF collection of issues 1-250 hit the market on CD-ROM.
  • Yeah, price of old games usually has little to do with quality and more to do with rarity. For example, Antlantis II for the Atari. It's a pretty bad game, but its extreme rarity makes it worth a lot of moneys. Same goes for the Nintendo world championship cartridges which show up on ebay every few months. The only time you have a game become valuable based on quality is a case like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The game isn't really rare, there are tons of copies. It's just that demand for the game is so crazily high that it is hard to find a copy. The same thing happened to Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and some of the Resident Evil games for GameCube. This increase in value doesn't last long, though. Eventually either more of those games will be printed, as is the case for the Resident Evils, or something else will happen, like Symphony of the Night being put out on XBox Live, to reduce the value of the game.

Video games are not collector's items. You know what? Comic books aren't either. Don't let me get on a rant about collecting. Just let it be known that I think collecting material goods for fun or investment is usually stupid.
  • edited February 2007
    Of course that comment doesn't apply to the Tezuka collection of works excluding Astroboy, correct?
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • Of course that comment doesn't apply to the Tezuka collection of works excluding Astroboy, correct?
    What do you mean? Tezuka's works are terrific. Everyone should buy them and read them. That doesn't mean you should collect them.
  • I see what you are all saying, I realize I will never get any sort of monetary return from my videogame collection, but I can't help it wondering while looking at my ps1/ps2 collection if I should keep them for sentimental value, or should I cut my losses, sell everything I can and move on?
  • I see what you are all saying, I realize I will never get any sort of monetary return from my videogame collection, but I can't help it wondering while looking at my ps1/ps2 collection if I should keep them for sentimental value, or should I cut my losses, sell everything I can and move on?
    If you aren't going to play it again, sell it. Sentiment does not require physical belongings, only memories. Just don't sell it to GameStop or EB. Sell it to get the best price you possibly can.
  • What about the second part of Doubles's question: What games from the last gen do you think will still be played 20 years from now?
  • What about the second part of Doubles's question: What games from the last gen do you think will still be played 20 years from now?
    At some point, all of them.
  • I'll try to rephrase. Which do you think will end up being the iconic classics?
  • I'll try to rephrase. Which do you think will end up being the iconic classics?
    All the Pokemon games.
  • All the Pokemon games.
    Well I do like the pokemon games, but I don't see them as classics, what makes you think that?
  • Well I do like the pokemon games, but I don't see them as classics, what makes you think that?
    Steve is addicted to pokemon as if it were crack.
  • Well I do like the pokemon games, but I don't see them as classics, what makes you think that?
    Yep...
    Yep...
    Have you tried just saying no?
  • I'm usually not that interested in business stuff (except when thinking about nationalizing Exxon), but I've often wondered about video game costs. How can developers continue to produce games that initially cost fifty dollars and more when they nearly always end up in the bargain bin at twenty dollars and less in a matter of months? Are there really that many fanboys willing to shell out fifty dollars just to get the game on the day it comes out? Maybe it's because I'm so old, but I usually have no trouble waiting to get a game when it's down to twenty dollars or less.
  • <blockquote rel="hungryjoe">I'm usually not that interested in business stuff (except when thinking about nationalizing Exxon), but I've often wondered about video game costs. How can developers continue to produce games that initially cost fifty dollars and more when they nearly always end up in the bargain bin at twenty dollars and less in a matter of months? Are there really that many fanboys willing to shell out fifty dollars just to get the game on the day it comes out? Maybe it's because I'm so old, but I usually have no trouble waiting to get a game when it's down to twenty dollars or less.</blockquote>
    Presumably that's part of why you see sponsors more and more in American games. Presumably games are much more expensive in Japan to help
  • I'm usually not that interested in business stuff (except when thinking about nationalizing Exxon), but I've often wondered about video game costs. How can developers continue to produce games that initially cost fifty dollars and more when they nearly always end up in the bargain bin at twenty dollars and less in a matter of months? Are there really that many fanboys willing to shell out fifty dollars just to get the game on the day it comes out? Maybe it's because I'm so old, but I usually have no trouble waiting to get a game when it's down to twenty dollars or less.
    Developers also make money licensing out their (successful) game engine to third party video game developers.
  • edited February 2007

Developers also make money licensing out their (successful) game engine to third party video game developers.
    Maybe, but how many of successful game engines are there? The third party people are probably the ones I'm thinking more about. For example: Darkwatch. Unless I'm terribly misinformed, Darkwatch did not utilize a new game engine. I remember when it came out at about fifty dollars. I waited and bought my copy four months later for fifteen dollars.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I waited and bought my copy four monts later for fifteen dollars.
    I've never known a video game that dropped that much in price in four months.
  • I waited and bought my copy four monts later for fifteen dollars.
    I've never known a video game that dropped that much in price in four months.
    Wellll . . . it wasn't the best game.
    Even though there are better FPS games, I think Halo will be considered iconic.
  • Grand Theft Auto will be considered iconic because it pushed the edge so far. Diablo 1-2 will be iconic, though they are already being kind of outmoded; but I think they will be regarded very much the same as we see Pac-Man now.
  • Starcraft will be infamous. I win.
  • Wait a minute. . . Wasn't Sail asking about lastgen console games?
  • Unless the TNA game turns out to be awesome, Day of Reckoning 2 for the Gamecube will be the best wrestling game since No Mercy....which is still the greatest wrestling game released in the US, 7 years later