This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cybernetic Enhancements

edited February 2007 in Flamewars
If I survive until some future date when cybernetic enhancements are available, I'm gonna load myself up like a Borg. Does anyone feel the same?

Comments

• Yup. Intra-cranial Internet access FTW. Nanite-enhanced musculature.

Of course, we'll have to fight all the wackos who think that self-improvement is "unnatural." This will be the next battleground for the folks who have traditionally fought tattoos, cloning, test tube babies, stem cell research, and the bio-engineered half-robot geisha I keep in my basement.
  • If I could afford it I think I'd do it. Especially my hands, mostly because by the time we are able to do this kind of thing I imagine I'll have horrible arthritis or something.
  • Carole says she won't do it for herself, so I'll have a quandary that will probably land me in trouble. Would you still get enhancements if your wife didn't want them for herself or asked you not to get them for yourself?
  • Your wife... would your enhancements be ribbed for her pleasure?
  • I would totally go "Ghost in the Shell."
  • edited February 2007
    Your wife... would your enhancements be ribbed for her pleasure?
    See - that's exactly the type of thing I wouldn't discuss on a forum regularly read by HS kids.
    I would totally go "Ghost in the Shell."
    I probably won't have that much moneys. I'll have to have some old and busted enhancements that'll make me look like Robot Frank. Whatever happened to his webpage?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • You could always go for the non humanoid robot like some of the people in GitS. Like that one guy who is basically a walking brain in a box.
  • edited February 2007
    See - that's exactly the type of thing I wouldn't discuss on a forum regularly read by HS kids.
    That is because you are crotchety old man. High schoolers know all about it! Sex! Sex! Sex! OMG IT'S OUT THERE! Hahahahahaha :D
    Post edited by Jason on
  • See - that's exactly the type of thing I wouldn't discuss on a forum regularly read by HS kids.
    That is because you are crotchety old man. High schoolers know all about it! Sex! Sex! Sex! OMG IT'S OUT THERE! Hahahahahaha :D
    I would get an enhancement that would enable me to get the kids off my lawn.
  • Mr. HungryJoe, can I have my baseball back please? We were just playing and it went over the fence.
  • edited February 2007
    I'll EAT your baseball bat! *Sounds of a wood chipper followed by sawdust flying out my bum* Now get off my lawn!
  • I'll EAT your basball bat! *Sounds of a wood chipper followed by sawdust flying out my bum* Now get off my lawn!
    I would throw eggs at your house. And probably shoot you with a paintball gun.
  • You couldn't see to aim for all the sawdust and woodchips flying out my bum.
  • Good god, I actually have to work.
  • You couldn't see to aim for all the sawdust and woodchips flying out my bum.
    I don't think I want to know how they got there in the first place...
  • Your wife... would your enhancements be ribbed for her pleasure?
    Actually I'm a middle school-er. I don't take any offense to it, though. Yet, Jason has a point because not all kids' parents are as open as mine, and some are way too overprotected.
  • To get back to topic, I would probably have a couple of things built into my arm, such as a phone, PDA, or a camera of some sort.
  • <blockquote rel="WaterIsPoison">I would totally go "Ghost in the Shell."</blockquote>

If I were to chose I would prefer the Imaginos body from Battle Angel Alita
  • I don't know, I've got to agree with WaterIsPoison. Being as awesome as The Major would be my dream com true. Either that or a combination of The Laughing Man and The Major.

In all reality I'd probably chicken out and end up either like Togusa or Saito.
  • New feet! I'd get feet that weren't flat and ankles that weren't weak. Then my feet wouldn't hurt all the time, I wouldn't have to wear orthotics and I wouldn't have troubles with my knees and back.

I'd also get a multi purpose panel in my arm that would do everything, including find whatever I wanted i.e. keys.
  • edited February 2007
    I would start off with cybernetic eyes, because I'm going blinder as the years go by. So they would be just regular normal artificial eyes with maybe the option to see in the dark like it was daytime. And I would gradually get cybernetic organ replacement if I needed them. A cyberbrain setup would be cool to but I know I would never be able to afford that.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Would you want the enhancements noticeable? I'm torn between wanting enhancements sleek and undetectable and wanting Borg-like eye thingies and stuff sticking up through my scalp.
  • I prefer non-noticeable implants.

I would definitely go for an eye implant that can record video and has the ability to extend the wave length range, especially into the infra-red. I would also strengthen the joints on my lower arms. They are a bit too weak.
  • I would definitely go with eyes first. I would love to get an extended wavelength range, an I would also like to get overlays that display gps/map data and information about people i have met (So I would not look like a moron when I can't remember someone's name).
  • I would imagine that the gps/map data and the info on people stuff wouldn't be something you got with the eyes, but rather something you could get with a cybernetic brain.
  • edited February 2007
    I would definitely go with eyes first. I would love to get an extended wavelength range, an I would also like to get overlays that display gps/map data and information about people i have met (So I would not look like a moron when I can't remember someone's name).
    What you describe sounds a lot like augmented reality. This is the type of stuff that keeps me from taking a rock and killing myself in a fit of despair.
  • I'd like some kind of Matter Eater Lad digestive system where I can eat anything.
  • I would imagine that the gps/map data and the info on people stuff wouldn't be something you got with the eyes, but rather something you could get with a cybernetic brain.
    The GPS receiver would not be in the cybernetic eye, but the cybernetic eye would be the means for displaying that information in a meaningful way. It would highlight the route you are trying to follow and label surrounding streets and points of interest.
    What you describe sounds a lot like augmented reality. This is the type of stuff that keeps me from taking a rock and killing myself in a fit of despair.
    Exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the articles. That sort of thing can not happen soon enough.
  • So what does everybody think, then? Is there a point of augmentation at which you will have gone too far? Can you over-Vader it and become more machine than man? Is that a bad thing? Is it possible to lose your humanity? I say no, as long as your fundamental cognitive processes remain intact. Any dissenting opinions?