This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 76- Favorite Sports

edited March 2006 in GeekNights
In regards to Ryms things of the day, MY BRAIN IS ON FIRE. THE IGNORANCE IS SUFFOCATING. I also have to agree with Rym regarding whether or not cheerleading and the like are actually sports.

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Awesome sports: Cricket (Twenty 20 matches are new and outstanding), Australian Rules Football, Irish Football, F1 (A1 is promising)

Sports I can't stand: Tennis. I can't tolerate pro tennis, mostly because of pro tennis players. I enjoy playing it, though. Same deal with soccer.

Everything else is either meh, feh, or both.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • Yeah, A1 is pretty cool. Every car has the same parts, so it's just a competition of driver skill and mechanic skill in tuning. Problem is that it doesn't have the best drivers, so it ends up competing with GP2 isntead of with F1.
  • The premise is so strong, but you're right, it may succumb to the XFL Effect. Then again, it is being financed by a billionaire oil sheikh with mad monies - and as we know, that can solve many problems - particularly when nearly all F1 teams are haemorrhaging cash. And after the fiasco that was the US GP, any more stupidity could unseat F1 as king of the motorsports.
  • I would like to note that referees and umpires are people that enact the scoring system in any "real" sport; nobody can score a goal/point/whatever in a real sport with a referee making it official, and a ref can deny a point that the spectators think someone should have gotten.

Remember Fulton?

I submit, then, that judges for figure skating or what have you perform EXACTLY the same function as refs/umpires in "real" sports, and that one must therefore conclude that by Scott's definition, figure skating is as real a sport as hockey.

As for sports, I've drifted away from most spectator sports, save for the odd ice hockey game. Really, seeing a spectator sport live is pretty much the only way to go; televised sports blow.

Nothing, of course, beats PLAYING a sport, like American football or That Sport Everyone Else In The World Calls football.
  • edited March 2006
    There is a difference. In a sport like hockey there are very defined rules. All the rules have to do with positions of objects and times. Was the puck across the line before the whistle was blown? This is either true or false. The reason we have a referee is because we have no way of looking into the past. There are no video replays in college hockey. Even if there is a video replay, two people looking at it might see something differently. Thus is the nature of the universe. There is no way to know for sure what happened in the past, so we decide that the referee's point of view is the definitive one. If we had time machines we would not need referees. But quantum physics defeats us.

F1 is the most perfect sport in this sense because the vast majority of refereeing is done by a computer. Specifically the Tag Heuer timing system which is accurate to more than a thousandth of a second. Most of what the race officials do is simply enforce the rules based on the results returned by the timing computer. For example, in the last race one team's mechanics stood next to the car for too long on the grid according to the timing system. They received a penalty. And while he was in the pit for that penalty the timing system made sure he did not go too fast in the pit, or else he would have been penalized again.

In a performance sport you don't have true and false. It's not goal or no goal. It's a sliding scale. There might be objective guidelines as to how to set those scales, but they cannot possibly cover the entire scale objectively. Take diving for example. Someone dives into a pool and a bunch of judges hold up cards with numbers saying how well the dive was performed. They know what a 10 looks like, anyone can recognize a perfect dive. They know what a 0 looks like, it's a cannonball. But when someone messes up a little bit do you give an 8? a 9? 8.5? No matter how objective you try to make it there will always be subjectivity.

The figure skater with the hotter body, the sexier dance and the better music will edge out. The marching band who happened to select music in line with the judge's taste will edge out. These sports are all performances, works of art. It is absolutely impossible to judge a work of art objectively. Thus is the nature of things.

Imagine trying to come up with a set of rules to objectively judge a movie. Theoretically you could use this to rank every movie ever. Do you seriously think that any two people on earth would even come close to having the same scores? No. The movies that appeal to their personal taste would score higher on average. This is why we do not have a World Series of movies. Instead we have the Oscars which do not pretend to be objective. Corruption nonwithstanding, the Oscars are the opinion of the MPAA.

If you want to make a semantic argument then just about any fun activity can be considered both a sport and a game. But I could care less about semantics. What I'm saying is that athletic performances and athletic games are so completely different from each other that putting them both in the same category of "sport" is wrong.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Scott's on his own on this one, considering that I disagree 100% with him ;^)

As for his examples regarding figure skating and diving, know that he doesn't actually know anything about these sports or how they're scored. In a discussion we just had, he had no clue as to the strict and largely objective rules the judges are forced to follow. Whether or not a diver's toes were pointed properly, or a figure skater landed in one motion are just as boolean, scoring-wise, as whether or not a puck entered a net.

Also, in regards to "Even if there is a video replay, two people looking at it might see something differently. Thus is the nature of the universe. There is no way to know for sure what happened in the past, so we decide that the referee's point of view is the definitive one. If we had time machines we would not need referees. But quantum physics defeats us."

That is perhaps the stupidest argument I've ever heard. Invoking quantum physics in an argument about sports is the geek equivalent of Godwinning.
  • edited March 2006
    We can argue all day and night about which particular sports can be classified as performance art and which ones are athletic games. I don't know enough details about enough of them to be any kind of authority on the matter, and I don't think anyone else here is either. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't put the two things in the same category. Art cannot be objectively judged.

And I only invoked quantum physics as an example to reinforce the idea of needing a single authoritative observer. I'm not actually making any sort of scientific argument. Not like those psudoscience scammers who will sell you a "quantum crystal" to keep away evil, disease-bearing spirits. :P
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I love football, it has shaped cultures worldwide and it is a full on celebration every four years. I can't wait for the world cup.
    Also I recently saw this trailer:

I can't wait to see it :D
  • I can't wait to see it :D
    This might've been the greatest thread revival yet, for that film looks very interesting.
  • Football? That looks an awful lot like soccer to me...
  • Football? That looks an awful lot like soccer to me...
    Whatever you call it, it is known as "The Beautiful Game" for a reason :P
  • edited May 2010
    Whatever you call it, it is known as "The Beautiful Game" for a reason :P
    Because anything played by a bunch of Fairys is probably beautiful?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Whatever you call it, it is known as "The Beautiful Game" for a reason :P
    How can it be beautiful when it can take an hour and a half to score a point?
  • Whatever you call it, it is known as "The Beautiful Game" for a reason :P
    How can it be beautiful when it can take an hour and a half to score a point?
    Like love and everything else in life is about "the longing" :P
  • Hockey is much better than one football, but not as good as the other one. Professional cycling is the cool too.
  • Seems like everyone I know at work loves baseball. I used to play it when I was younger and found it fun. Just don't find it very entertaining as a spectator.