This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying a DS

edited March 2006 in Video Games
So, I'm cashed up, and looking to spend. The DS has come up as the most likely purchase, but I have a few questions for the community:

1. The web browser: How likely is it to come out for the non-Japanese market?
2. Is Animal Crossing all it's made out to be? I love the paedic games, and this one looks like fun.
3. What are the outstanding games for the system? The ones generally acknowledged as the must-haves?

Comments

• edited March 2006
    I generally stay away from Animal Crossing. The concept of it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

As for games you must have for the ds, here's a small list:
    Phoenix Wright (if you can get it)
    Advanced Wars
    Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    Mario Cart
    Bomberman
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Amethisttomoe is dead on in terms of the must-have games. I'd also suggest Tetris (which isn't out yet), and Castlevania DS. ^_^

I'm fairly certain the Opera cart will be released in the US. As for Animal Crossing, I never liked those sorts of games, so I couldn't tell you.
  • The web browser will amost definitely come out in the US. It's going to be Opera. It will basically be packaged and sold just like a game, only it will have a web browser.

Animal Crossing DS is the best animal crossing there is. At least that's what fans tell me. If you like that game, you pretty much have to have the DS game.

to add to the list of games

Kirby: Canvas Curse
    Mario + Luigi: Partners in Time
    Princess Peach (maybe)

Coming Soon:
    Metroid: Hunters
    Tetris DS
  • I can't suggest games that I haven't played yet. Though i will have to retract Mario Cart and Bomberman from my list.
  • The verdict on Princess Peach will arrive when I finish playing it ^_~
  • Thanks for all the advice. I have the DS now, with Animal Crossing, which is fun (I guess I just don't like being told how I'm supposed to play a game). Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center are next on my list. And I'll probably get some of those clasic game packs too. Old Skool.

My Wi-Fi setup is working well with the DS, much to my amazement. What games really take advantage of Wi-Fi? The impression I have is that most games barely take advantage of it at all, and that local connections are better.
  • Yes, most of the games for the DS that use wireless at all just connect to other DSes in the area, like pictochat. Not many games actually use the wi-fi, yet. In fact it wasn't until Mario Kart came out that you could use it at all. But never fear. Tetris DS and Metroid: Hunters coming out this month BOTH use it. I have a feeling that from now on all the new big DS games will have wifi.

http://www.nintendowifi.com/
  • I race people fairly regularly on Mario Kart wifi, and you can find my friend code in a previous thread somewhere.
  • Mario Kart DS is a must buy all the way.
    My sister loves Animal Crossing more than the first one so if you liked 1 you'll love Wild World. Everyone else has the best games already listed so listen to these people, they know things.
  • HEY HEY, now don't forget Super Mario 64 DS. It's still a good game, even though it's a little old. I mean we all still love our grandmas, don't we?
  • I'd actually never played Mario 64, so I had a really good time with 64 DS.
  • Super Mario 64 DS is at best a rental for me. It's control was not nearly as good as the N64 version which hurts the gameplay a lot.
  • I thought the control was much better, especially with the camera. I tried playing the N64 version not too long ago and I couldnt walk across the beams in the first level. That camera kills.
  • I just bought a DS Lite!!! Its so pretty. I got new super mario and nintendogs (shut up I its cute and inane and mindless). It is charging and I am going to go eat then get in bed and play until I fall asleep or get bored. Which do you think will come first?
  • I got my first DS the day the lite was released. So far I've got Tetris (I am so below everyone on WiFi, they kill me), Mario (Which I've beaten and am going back for big coins just because I can), and Bomberman (Which I haven't played much because of the first 2).
    This is the best console purchase I think I've ever made.
  • Damn, what the hell is with people bringing up dead threads these days?
  • Actually, I would even go so far as to encourage it. New listeners hit the archives and have something to say. ^_^
  • It's like Jesus from the Madness Combat movie.

ZOMBIE THREADS ATTACK ZOMG!
  • Ah, Madness Combat, I almost forgot about that. The games based on it are even more awesome.
  • its mainly me. What can I say I find you all fascinating...or I have no life. One or the other.
  • I could never get a handle for the "my hands aren't attached to my body and can rotate 360 degrees" control action.
  • My Fiance plays Animal Crossing everyday. She loves those types of games. I personally dislike it.

Games that must be had:
    Advanced Wars
    Mario Cart
    Tetris
    Castlevania
    New Super Mario Brothers

Phoenix Wright just arrived from GameFly so I will see if it's any good.
  • I think you're really gonna like it.
  • Just bought one myself, with SMB, and it's awesome. I'm trying to decide if I want to get Metroid Prime: Hunters or Tetris DS next.
  • Trust me, get Tetris.
  • You should also get Feel the Magic. It's really cheap at around $10. It's game about alot of fun mini games that uses the DS's capabilities really well. Also, they're all connected by a really cute and funny love story.
  • I got this game for $10 called "Sprung" it is shit, and boring, and repeditive and shit. Don't get that. I'm currently unsticking the "pre-played" game stickers from the box so I can take it to another game trading venue and try to pass it off as newer than it is for good games.
  • Haha Sprung is the westerners attempt at a dating game. I wished it was better so that we can get the real dating games like TokiMeki.
  • So on Wednesday, I'm getting a DS Light, and I want just three games. My question's what titles I should get?

I'm thinking:
    -Super Mario Brothers
    -Mario Kart
    -Metroid Prime: Hunters
  • If I had to get only 3 DS games they would be Phoenix Wright, Tetris and Advance Wars. But seeing as Phoenix Wright is hard to get, get Mario Kart. Although Mario Bros. is just as good as Advance Wars, it doesn't have the replay value. Also everyone seems to be forgetting Mario + Luigi: Partners in Time.