This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I was in Riyadh (with pictures)

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
I was in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh and took some pictures. If you have questions, ask!

Here is the link to my Flickr

Comments

• Why were you there? How was the food?
  • It looks peaceful, and also it looks like my country.
  • I was there to meet my father. I used to go to school there (British School). The food was fucking awesome. I had do go away because of the bombs there.

If you want I could detail the food I ate.

I was there once again! Thought I'd share some pictures.

Questions? ^^
  • Food details, please.
  • #Sorry for totally raping the Arab names, I'd like to type the Arabic letters but then you probably wouldn't be able to read..

I ate A LOT of sharwama ($0.25). Not the crappy kind you get in the west..

There is only one real way to make a sharwama:

1) Most importantly: No fresh vegetables.
    2) Garlic Sauce
    3) Pickles
    4) Really fatty french fries that are basically dissolving because they're so fat.
    5) The lamb meet sliced off bit by bit with a sharp knife.
    6) All of this horribly unhealthy stuff rolled in warm fresh Arabic bread.

Secondly I ate with a lot of Arabs on the floor with my hands, as they do. For starters there was Arabic coffee and many dips. Houmus, Mutabal. Babaganush and many more. The main course was a whole lamb served on rice. For desert there was Baklava and some sweets that were good beyond description.

I would have loved to take some pictures, but Arabs are really finicky about cameras.
  • 4) Reallyfattyfrench fries that are basicallydissolvingbecause they're sofat.
    I always make sure to eat the falafel and shwarma with french fries. I'm always surprised by how many people don't put the french fries in there. What's wrong with them?
  • They don't understand the pure awesomeness of soaking fat fries..
  • #Sorry for totally raping the Arab names, I'd like to type the Arabic letters but then you probably wouldn't be able to read..
    Shawarma (Arabic: شاورما‎ or Hebrew: שווארמה‎), also spelled Chawarma, Schawarma, Shwarma, Shuarma, Shawerma, Shoarma, Schwarma, Shoermeh, Siaorma, or Shaorma)
    We use the 'shoarma' variant here in the Netherlands (as you can see later on the relevant wiki page), and also use it to refer to the meat alone, though it also gets called 'shoarma vlees' (shoarma meat) then.
  • Here in Berlin we have (I think) Schwarma. Except that we really have Döner Kebabs.
  • Here in Berlin we have (I think) Schwarma. Except that we really have Döner Kebabs.
    I too live in Germany and we have A LOT of Döner shops. But Döner is something completely different..
    I too live in Germany and we have A LOT of Döner shops. But Döner is something completely different..
    I discovered döner a few months ago. Once in a while we ordered food from a pizza place in town, first I just said shoarma, which was fries, some salad, and lotsa shoarma meat (awesome), then one day I asked my mom what this döner was that was in the box below shoarma, whatever she said, it sounded good, told her to get that for me and have been taking that ever since whenever we order food from that place. Döner meat is delicious, even better when it's not burnt. :D
  • some salad
    Don't forget my number one point..

In Germany sharwama is often sold as a rolled Döner, which saddens me greatly.
    I know this. I was just pointing out that for every shop that sells schwarma, about 20 or 30 shops sell döner. I think in Berlin döner outsells every other fast food, and outsells all macdonalds and burgerking burgers by about 3 to 1.

Dammit, I'm hungry.
    I know this. I was just pointing out that for every shop that sells schwarma, about 20 or 30 shops sell döner. I think in Berlin döner outsells every other fast food, and outsells all macdonalds and burgerking burgers by about 3 to 1.

Dammit, I'm hungry.
    Definitely.
  • I read the topic title as "I was in R'lyeh (with pictures)". Now I'm disappointed.
  • Sorry, someone asked about food and us Europeans went off on one about our shared heritage.
  • He wasn't complaining bout the food...
    Cthulhu fhtagn!
  • Haha, The first time I read it I though it said R'lyeh too!
  • Ah, I wasn't paying attention.