This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jesus family tomb filmed by James Cameron, hilarity ensues.

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
Mainstream media seems to be ignoring this one, but I find it rather funny. Cameron and The Discovery Channel seem to be cashing in on the Christians. Since Jesus probably never existed in the first place, it's a bit like applying science to the tooth fairy. But if anything it might cause some people of faith to use their gray matter a bit and that's always nice. I hope they make millions on this.

Comments

• It is an interesting read, but is hard to used science to explain, prove and challenge faith.
  • edited February 2007
    *sigh* Jesus most certainly existed. Historically, we know there was a radical Jew who went around telling people there was a new covenant with God. His existences was making ruling really hard for the Romans, so they killed him.

It's whether Jesus actually rose from the dead or not, the corner stone of the Christian faith, this documentary hopes to prove by finding the body, or remaining DNA, of Jesus.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What if they clone Jesus? XD
  • sigh* Jesus most certainly existed. Historically, we know there was a radical Jew who went around telling people there was a new covenant with God. His existences was making ruling really hard for the Romans, so they killed him.
    Of course a Jesus existed. There must be at least several hundred at least in the world as we speak ^_^
  • sigh* Jesus most certainly existed. Historically, we know there was a radical Jew who went around telling people there was a new covenant with God. His existences was making ruling really hard for the Romans, so they killed him.
    Of course a Jesus existed. There must be at least several hundred at least in the world as we speak ^_^
    One of them sat behind me in my 7th grade Spanish class ~_^
  • His existences was making ruling really hard for the Romans, so they killed him.

That is actually an oddly sensible plan.
  • His existences was making ruling really hard for the Romans, so they killed him.
    That is actually an oddly sensible plan.
    Are you George W in disguise?
  • Damnit, rumbled.

My secret Identity aside, Think about it - There's a bearded Middle Eastern bloke brewing up a muck in your backyard about religion and how people should act, and the people and government in the area gets the shits with it. He's got a bit of a popular following, and peasants are convinced that this guy is something special.

Consider - Lopping off the head kills the body, in theory (And snakes), and you are feeling threatened by the possibility of revolt - What do you think you'd be doing? If you were the government of the time, I'd be wagering you'd be breaking out the big wooden plus signs too.
  • Are you George W in disguise?
    Wouldn't that be GWBSteve? Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • *sigh* Jesus most certainly existed. Historically, we know there was a radical Jew who went around telling people there was a new covenant with God. His existences was making ruling really hard for the Romans, so they killed him.

It's whether Jesus actually rose from the dead or not, the corner stone of the Christian faith, this documentary hopes to prove by finding the body, or remaining DNA, of Jesus.
    You know, people throw this historical stuff around so much, and yet I can't actually recall any source that corroborates the Bible's claim that Jesus existed. Apart from the Bible, which is not a credible source, what evidence do we actually have? Furthermore, if there exists a Roman text corroborating Jesus' existence and his deeds, can it possibly be proven that it was the same one? There were a lot of Jesuses, and plenty more Johns, Joes, and Jebediahs. A lot of them claimed to be the messiah. Not to mention, his name was no more "Jesus" than it was "Bobby Joe"; that's just not a name in use at the time. "Jesus" is a word we end up with after 2,000 years of translation.

So what evidence does exist (besides the Bible), and how conclusive is it? Not saying it doesn't exist, just that it shouldn't be assumed to exist.

And this whole issue is a little silly anyway; even if you proved, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the body they found was in fact Jesus', that won't stop the believers. They'll simply say that his spirit, not his body, ascended to heaven. Or something. Fuck, if I saw a glowing ghost rise into heaven, I'd believe it too, body or no body. Faith cannot be disproven, because it is not based on proof. It's based on faith.
  • edited March 2007
    Just to chime in on this "Did Jesus exist" debate. Just going on what the bible has said about Jesus one can reach two logical conclusions that either some guy named Jesus wrote some stuff about being kind and changing the current system of honor and then this was reported by Peter and some other "apostles" (if they existed). Paul of Tarsus then related some other teachings and the word Christian started to be used to describe people who were part of this movement. A generation later some of the stories about "Jesus" were collected and made into the gospels some of which are more or less made-up (John, Judas, Thomas, Peter, etc.) The three "synoptic" gospels (Mark, Luke, Matthew) are very much connected as Matthew and Luke are both based on Mark with either additional research or embellishment. I see two logical conclusions that either the apostles met as some sort of Enlightenment style discussion group (similar to Rabbinical Judaism possibly). They then went out made up this story about Jesus and then wrote the letters and everything in the gospels is lies or Jesus did exist and only some of the gospels are lies. There is an argument for this. There were other people who had these ideas and they were killed so this group may have worked and not wanted to be killed (even though most were killed eventually). I personally do not think that either way it will make difference no ones faith will be shaken or whatever. Other things have already been proved to be lies over and over again but some people still believe they are real (Shroud of Turin for example).

So based on Occam's Razor it seems easier for one guy to do the thinking and then have some people come up with it and make up a huge scheme to tell the message.

A good book about the New Testament is Gerd Theissen's Fortress Introduction to The New Testament.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • Here is an interesting site constructed by a group of atheists, Christians, Jews, Zen Buddhists, and others promoting -- believe it or not -- both religious tolerance and the separation of church and state. They examine the claims about Jesus' historical existence from several perspectives.
  • edited February 2007
    You know, people throw this historical stuff around so much, and yet I can't actually recall any source that corroborates the Bible's claim that Jesus existed.
    How many historical sources on Jesus have you read? Because it sounds like you are just talking shit. Unless you are some kind of history professor, you are not gonna be able to think of historical sources off the top of your head.

[Edit] My history text book says Jesus existed.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • [Edit] My history text book says Jesus existed.
    What book is it? Publication? Authors?
  • edited February 2007
    Title: World History: The Modern World. Publication: Prentice Hall. Author: Anthony Esler.

The Esler guy sets the high school academic standards for the whole country. You can google him. The text book is the most recent history text book available. This is the first year of their use. It's all written to California state standards. If needed, I can copy some text for more detail, since I assume that scanning the pages is illegal.

I'm interested to see what kind of inferences you guys could possibly make =P
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm interested as to what DNA they are going to compare it to to decide that it's Jesus or not.
  • I would like to see what Mr Esler has to say.

As far as I know, there are only 2 mentions of Jesus in historical documents.
  • edited March 2007
    I'm interested as to what DNA they are going to compare it to to decide that it's Jesus or not.
    Ya know the wine at church; it is not just wine. It really is the blood of Jesus.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • Ya know the wine at church; it is not just wine. It really is the blood of Jesus.

Damn, where's Grissom when you need him.
  • edited February 2007
    Since Jesus probably never existed in the first place, it's a bit like applying science to the tooth fairy.
    *sigh* Jesus most certainly existed. Historically, we know there was a radical Jew who went around telling people there was a new covenant with God.
    You know, people throw this historical stuff around so much, and yet I can't actually recall any source that corroborates the Bible's claim that Jesus existed.
    How many historical sources on Jesus have you read? Because it sounds like you are just talking shit. Unless you are some kind of history professor, you are not gonna be able to think of historical sources off the top of your head.

[Edit] My history text book says Jesus existed.
    Title: World History: The Modern World. Publication:Prentice Hall. Author: Anthony Esler.

The Esler guy sets the high school academic standards for the whole country. You can google him. The text book is the most recent history text book available. This is the first year of their use. It's all written to California state standards.
    So. . . You start out giving this attitude to Thaed and then snap at kenjura like you're very confident of your position, making me think you're about to back yourself up with a quote from Josephus or Tacitus or someone, and then you use your high school textbook as your authority?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I've got a history textbook for you: it's called Lies My Teacher Told Me.

Seriously, though, one source is a start. The start of a start. Textbooks aren't particularly credible; after all, some of them trumpet around saying evolution is "a theory, not a fact" as if that statement even makes sense, and laud creationism to prove their lack of scientific understanding. A scientific journal would be a better place to start.

Don't go throwing your offense around at me. I never said he didn't, I just challenged you or anybody to come up with a source. In real science, including the analysis of actual, historical facts, challenging one's claims is not offensive--it's expected. If you're offended that someone would ask for a reference to back up a claim, then you're a zealot, plain and simple. Just like certain presidents, zealots believe their words are more important than facts.
  • I've got a history textbook for you: it's calledLies My Teacher Told Me.
    Love that book, almost as much as I like my 11th grade history textbook.

That was an interesting year of American History.
  • edited February 2007
    These are neither eyewitness accounts nor do they constitute conclusive archaelogical proof, but they're closer to being primary sources than a textbook and are generally considered to be credible:

Josephus wrote in Antiquities,

"At that time lived Jesus, a wise man, if he may be called a man; for he performed many wonderful works. He was a teacher of such men as received the truth with pleasure. . . . And when Pilate, at the instigation of the chief men among us, had condemned him to the cross, they who before had conceived an affection for him did not cease to adhere to him. . . . And the sect of the Christians, so called from him, subsists at this time" (Antiquities, Book 18, Chapter 3, Section 1).

and Tacitus wrote in the Annals that

". . .Nero procured others to be accused, and inflicted exquisite punishment upon those people, who were in abhorrence for their crimes, and were commonly known by the name of Christians. They had their denomination from Christus (Christ, dm.), who in the reign of Tiberius was put to death as a criminal by the procurator Pontius Pilate. . . .At first they were only apprehended who confessed themselves of that sect; afterwards a vast multitude discovered by them, all of which were condemned, not so much for the crime of burning the city, as for their enmity to mankind. . . ." (Tacitus, Annals, 15, 44).

Both of these books were written close in time to the period in which Jesus was alleged to have existed. Now I'm not basing my faith on the above by any means, but I find citations by contemporaneous sources more persuasive on the question of existence than the assertion of a high school textbook.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited February 2007

Textbooks aren't particularly credible; after all, some of them trumpet around saying evolution is "a theory, not a fact" as if that statement even makes sense, and laud creationism to prove their lack of scientific understanding. A scientific journal would be a better place to start.
    Evolution is not a fact... It is a Scientific Theory.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited February 2007
    Evolutionisa theory, not a fact...
    Ugh...

Ok. Here we go:

A Hypothesis is: a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.

A Scientific Theory is: A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

A Scientific Law is: a phenomenon of nature that has been proven to invariably occur whenever certain conditions exist or are met; also, a formal statement about such a phenomenon; also called [natural law]*

*Credit does not go to me for writing this though :(

A Heliocentrism is a theory, Gravity is theory, there is almost no difference between Scientific theory and fact.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • We don't have to start this cycle again, do we?
  • I amended my earlier post. Please forgive me for falling for the semantic trap.

• Evolutionisnot a fact... It is a Scientific Theory.
    The reason I said the statement doesn't make sense is that it doesn't.

Evolution is, in fact, a theory, being a collection of factual evidence, hypotheses, postulates, and experiments. It is one name for many, many things. *A* fact is one, specific, concrete, known thing. Physics isn't *a* fact. To say "physics is a fact" would mark you as scientifically ignorant. If you meant to say "physics consists of many proven laws", that would be one thing.

But "theory" and "fact" have powerful connotations. One sounds sketchy (to ignorant people), and the other sounds sure. But to say something is "a theory, not a fact" is to imply the two are mutually exclusive, indeed, that they are direct opposites! This is no more sensible than saying "onions are a vegetable, not delicious".

What I said was entirely true.
  • @Joe

Thank you for your contribution. Those works do provide evidence, though obviously there is still room for debate.

I am unsurprised that debate on this topic doesn't normally occur. However, criticism of the likely dubious claims made by James Cameron's film seems to have been well-research and well-presented. The archaeological merit of the find is in question, for good reason, but the response has not been one of zealous backlash, rather educated argument.

Thus, it seems the modern climate is suitable for more discussion of this kind. That is a bit of bright news for our troubled times.

Still, one can't help but wonder what motivated the filmmakers. Pure archeology? That seems unlikely. Shock value? So far it seems like [u]The DaVinci Code[/u] had more, and it was fiction. Accusing the Vatican of wrongdoing seems to dredge up more resentment than challenging the beliefs of Christians, even the most fundamental. That may be a sign that religious people are more reasonable than is sometimes assumed. Like anyone else, they get mad when it gets personal, but otherwise, they're willing to entertain some reasonable debate.
  • edited February 2007
    So. . . You start out giving this attitude to Thaed and then snap at kenjura like you're very confident of your position, making me think you're about to back yourself up with a quote from Josephus or Tacitus or someone, and then you use yourhigh school textbookas your authority?Checking my text book was an after-thought. Obviously no normal person would have a reputable source on hand at any random time, which is the reason I snapped at Kenjura. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect someone to. But I thank you for throwing in those sources for me.
    Post edited by Sail on