This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I bought a 360 yesterday...

edited February 2007 in Video Games
I got tired of not being able to get a Wii and I figure I'll just buy one in June or July. In the meantime, Best Buy had a deal, so I went for it. What have you folks been playing and what do you recommend that I buy with my bonus gift cards? Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter came with it for free and I bought Viva Pinata for my kids.

Comments

• I've been playing Crackdown lately, which is good fun. Gears of War is always good too.
  • I've been playing Crackdown lately, which is good fun. Gears of War is always good too.
    You mean the Halo 3 beta featuring Crackdown?
  • If I had a 360 I'd mostly be doing Live games and Live arcade games. I hear symphony of the night is in there. Uno should be fun as well. They've been promising to put some German board games in, like Carcassonne, but I don't think that's done yet. Gears of War also seems to be the hotness. And Forza 2, if that's out yet.
  • I'd give Rainbow 6 Las Vegas a try. I don't play console games of that type often, but it sure was a lot of fun. Fantastic weapon outfit as well.
  • Crackdown is one of the best games EVAR! Not really, but it's really fun, and incredibly addictive when you get right down to it. I keep looking for those damn green orbs everyone's looking for that have the agility, which I don't need anymore. I've got 430/500, and only 80/300 secret orbs, the ones that give you a little bit of everything. Now, I'm trying to get back to Gears, and actually be content playing it instead of Crackdown, and blowing up cars, and flying corpses on fire, and slamming gang bosses...

Rainbow Six Vegas, forget the Las, is right up their with Gears, as far as gameplay goes. You'll actually see a lot in common between the two titles, since they both have cover fire. That's ones thing I found irritating in Ghost Recon, was that there was almost zero cover, and none at all in the multiplayer. Luckily, developers figured out that people like this idea and use it quite consistently. Funny that I don't remember a single xbox game, not 360, that had cover in it at all. It's not like this is a next gen operation that's taking place. It's a simple mechanic that can be added to a game, if you start from the bottom up.

These are the top Xbox 360 games in my most acclaimed opinion:

1. Gears of War
    2. Rainbow Six: Vegas
    3. Elder Scrolls: Obilvion
    4. Crackdown
    5. Burnout: Revenge
    6. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
    7. Project Gotham Racing 3
    8. Viva Pinata
    9. Geometry Wars
    10. Saints Row
  • Thanks for the great feedback! I'm think I'm going to like this console quite a bit.
  • You mean the Halo 3 beta featuring Crackdown?
    Who cares about FPS games on non PCs? I doubt I'll play the beta more then once or twice.

Crackdown is one of those games that gets more fun the more you play it, because your character gets better and stronger as you go along. Jumping from building, causing massive explosions, and throwing huge objects around is half the fun. I imagine it'll be one of those games that I'll keep playing after I beat it just to mess around and kill time.

I second Geometry Wars, thats a must have.
  • Not to be a spoiler but Crackdown becomes an all out war when you beat the game. Basically, as soon as you beat it, you have the option to have crime on the streets and rooftops everywhere, all the time. It's insane, especially if you have a coop player alongside you, which makes the game even more worth purchasing.

It's so obsessive, trying to complete your character, getting him to his full potential by killing hundreds and thousands of enemies, just so you can get your explosives skill to four stars. Funny, cause I knew this game was gonna grab me, as soon as I played the demo several million times.

One thing though, this is a big deal Thaed! Listen here...

YOUR POWER SUPPLY MUST NOT BE TOUCHING ANYTHING. That's right. Suspend that thing in mid air with the cord or a string or something, just don't let it touch a surface. It's just that sensitive, cause you might not realize it, but there's a fan inside that thing, and you just be able to hear it if you get close enough. The one inside the xbox is obviously louder and more obnoxious, but still... This thing needs as much air as it can get.

Take this from a guy who's gone through three, THREE Xbox 360's already in the past year. This last one only worked for a month, due to a DVD drive problem. The one before that overheated and had the prominent red circle of death cyndrome that many of us 360 owners know all too well. Not a good sign at all. And another thing, make sure to leave the system itself on it's side and not standing up. Not only is it harder to insert discs in there, but it's not healthy for the console.

Probably should mention this too, but I've bought three $50 insurance policies from gamestop so far to insure I can replace my xbox, if it goes bad for the third time. Might be a good idea, if you don't want to wait a month for Microsoft to fix it. Which I'll tell you is waiting for a box to come in the mail, then putting your broken 360 in the box and shipping it off to them to tinker with. Then they send you a brand new xbox with a different hard drive that doesn't have your profile on it, neither does have your saved games. So you're pretty screwed if you take the cheap path.

If you can suck all of that in, then you're on your way to being a very happy Microsoft Xbox owner.
  • What? Microsoft specifically tells you not to send your hard drive to them.

Turn around on the warranty IS about a month, though. I think it took me three weeks to get mine back. But there's something to be said for a free replacement, and those Gamestop warranties are pretty notoriously shady.
  • Yeah, never buy the warranty from the retailer, ever. If you buy an expensive piece of electronics there is almost always a decent warranty from the manufacturer. Why give GameStop or Best Buy extra money for something Microsoft is already giving you for free? Also, why buy something you know is going to break? If you bought a car and it broke down would you go and buy the same exact car again?
  • Yeah, never buy the warranty from the retailer, ever.
    Toys R Us tried to sell me a "replacement plan" for a $19.99 Nintendo DS game. The replacement plan was about $3. What a deal.
  • Yeah, never buy the warranty from the retailer, ever. If you buy an expensive piece of electronics there is almost always a decent warranty from the manufacturer.
    Best Buy is especially criminal in this regard. When I bought my first digital camera the woman at the counter was not going to let me go without buying a warranty, and after the fifth or sixth time she asked I just had to pound my hands on the counter and give her a very tight-lipped assertation that I was not buying the warranty and she was holding up the line. The best part was the warranty didn't include user damage! What other kind of damage is there? And sure enough, when the cat spilled water on it nearly a year later, Canon repaired it for free. Thanks Best Buy!
  • What I don't understand about warranties is why the Best Buy warranty isn't added onto the year warranty you receive from Microsoft.
  • *sigh* all right, I do work at Best Buy and all that, but irregardless, the service plans I have bought have saved me. My first laptop has gone through oh....3 or 4 power cords things(the ones with the box in the middle), a screen, the DVD drive went at least once, and the hard drive blew its mind. That alone made it worth the replacement plan for me. This is not to mention other stuff I've used it on. If I feel up to it I'll say more later
  • *sigh* all right, I do work at Best Buy and all that, but irregardless, the service plans I have bought have saved me. My first laptop has gone through oh....3 or 4 power cords things(the ones with the box in the middle), a screen, the DVD drive went at least once, and the hard drive blew its mind. That alone made it worth the replacement plan for me. This is not to mention other stuff I've used it on. If I feel up to it I'll say more later
    But didn't the manufactuer guarantee all of those things? Why did you need a warranty from Best Buy when the company who actually made the product gives you a free warranty? Also, don't buy cheap shit that breaks all the time.
    Arrrgh! You typed "irregardless!!!"

/stabs self in the eye with an icepick.
  • I shun you for supporting a bad company that works on thievery and Stealing of Tech.

Microsoft is a company that doesn't use innovations and new ideas.

But most of all, good luck when it heats up and melts into a pile of molten crap.

Nothing against you personality dude.
  • edited March 2007
    I shun you for supporting a bad company that works on thievery and Stealing of Tech.

Microsoft is a company that doesn't use innovations and new ideas.

But most of all, good luck when it heats up and melts into a pile of molten crap.

Nothing against you personality dude.
    That is quite an ignorant statement you have there. You also don't need to skip multiple lines for each sentence.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm surprised that no one recommended Dead Rising. It's a really fun zombie game.
  • The fun of Dead Rising kind of runs out quickly. Killing zombies with lots of different things in a mall sounds great on paper, but once you've used everything the game starts to become less fun and more monotonous. Especially if you try and follow the story.
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, never buy the warranty from the retailer, ever. If you buy an expensive piece of electronics there is almost always a decent warranty from the manufacturer. Why give GameStop or Best Buy extra money for something Microsoft is already giving you for free? Also, why buy something you know is going to break? If you bought a car and it broke down would you go and buy the same exact car again?
    Okay, so I should wait a month or more for Microsoft to fix my xbox because it's free? How about this Scott, what if you were playing Twilight Princess, or whatever Wii game you like most, and your Wii just broke? Would you rather have insurance, making a trade in at your local game store quick and easy, or having to send your Wii to Nintendo and wait 30 days to have it fixed and not be able to play your game. Call me an idiot, but I'm not waiting that long for a replacement console.

Cars? What the holy heck of a hockey stick does that mean? Game systems aren't like cars at all, so you can't produce a comparison from that. It's not like you can go out and buy different models of an Xbox 360 or Wii. "Ooo, Daddy, get me the Mitsubishi Xbox." The only division I see so far is color and hard drive size, and those don't influence how well a console runs. When we go out and buy one of these machines, we don't have much of a choice. If I understand what you're saying, it sounds like you think a person should go buy a completely different system if one doesn't work all the time. Seems silly, especially if you've purchased a huge library of games specifically for that console.
    Post edited by glimpster on

• Okay, so I should wait a month or more for Microsoft to fix my xbox because it's free? How about this Scott, what if you were playing Twilight Princess, or whatever Wii game you like most, and your Wii just broke? Would you rather have insurance, making a trade in at your local game store quick and easy, or having to send your Wii to Nintendo and wait 30 days to have it fixed and not be able to play your game. Call me an idiot, but I'm not waiting that long for a replacement console.
    Unlike other people, video games aren't the only thing in my life. I can live for quite awhile without my game console. I'll take the free option.
    Cars? What the holy heck of a hockey stick does that mean? Game systems aren't like cars at all, so you can't produce a comparison from that. It's not like you can go out and buy different models of an Xbox 360 or Wii. "Ooo, Daddy, get me the Mitsubishi Xbox." The only division I see so far is color and hard drive size, and those don't influence how well a console runs. When we go out and buy one of these machines, we don't have much of a choice. If I understand what you're saying, it sounds like you think a person should go buy a completely different system if one doesn't work all the time. Seems silly, especially if you've purchased a huge library of games specifically for that console.
    People really have to learn that no analogy is perfect. If an analogy were perfect, it wouldn't be an analogy, it would be the thing you're talking about. Just because an analogy isn't perfect doesn't mean an argument is not valid.
  • Never buy the extra insurance! On anything, it is always a scam.
  • edited March 2007
    Unless you use it to scam them.

But then I guess its still technically a scam...
    Post edited by Kiey on
    But didn't the manufactuer guarantee all of those things? Why did you need a warranty from Best Buy when the company who actually made the product gives you a free warranty? Also, don't buy cheap shit that breaks all the time.
    I didn't buy cheap stuff, this was a Toshiba laptop that cost me a little under $2000 in 2003. Also, a lot of this happened long after any standard warranty expired, it was intially just power cord problems, it was a year or two or three after I had these that the hard drive and such went on me
  • I didn't buy cheap stuff, this was a Toshiba laptop that cost me a little under $2000 in 2003. Also, a lot of this happened long after any standard warranty expired, it was intially just power cord problems, it was a year or two or three after I had these that the hard drive and such went on me
    That's about how long laptops last. Portable gadgets, whether they are laptops, phones or mp3 players take quite a beating if you actually use them as intended. Expect to have to replace them every few years.
  • That's about how long laptops last. Portable gadgets, whether they are laptops, phones or mp3 players take quite a beating if you actually use them as intended. Expect to have to replace them every few years.
    So I ended up saving money by buying this service plan and keeping the computer going. It's cheaper to buy the plan and get it fixed every now and then instead of buying a new laptop. I don't do any non emulation gaming anyhow
  • That's about how long laptops last. Portable gadgets, whether they are laptops, phones or mp3 players take quite a beating if you actually use them as intended. Expect to have to replace them every few years.
    So I ended up saving money by buying this service plan and keeping the computer going. It's cheaper to buy the plan and get it fixed every now and then instead of buying a new laptop. I don't do any non emulation gaming anyhow
    I guess if you know how to fix a computer, you don't need anyone else to fix it for you. Remember, if you can't fix it, you don't own it.
  • Remember, if you can't fix it, you don't own it.
    Well, I guess you don't own your car, then. Or your LCD monitor. How about your body? I guess only doctors own their bodies. You're not a cobbler, right? I guess those shoes aren't yours either.

Gosh, it seems like you don't really own much, do you? ^_~
  • Well, my body is me. Most of the time it fixes itself, so I think I own my body. As for the other stuff, I might possess it in an economic and physical sense, but I don't really truly own it 100%. Heck, the car I don't even own in any fashion. Some bank owns my car until I finish buying it from them.

"If you can't fix it, you don't own it" isn't a literal saying. It's a figure of speech, like a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. All it saying is that you should be able to repair and maintain the things you possess without the need to procure the services of someone else. Let's say you buy a copy machine, but you don't know how to fix it or refill the toner. You buy a service contract for that copy machine, as most companies do. You own the copier in the sense that is is your property. However, without that service contract, your copier will become effectively useless. It's as if you are renting it, rather than owning it.

If you are unable, for whatever reason, to maintain and repair your property, it is as if you are not the 100% owner of that property. If you are able to maintain and repair it, but you choose not to do it yourself, that's another story entirely.