This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why Resident Evil 4 is on everyone's list of favorite games.

edited February 2007 in Video Games
I did some research over Xmas. I read a large number of lists purporting to identify the best video games ever. Strangely, Resident Evil 4 seemed to be on everyone's list. This past weekend, I found it used at an EB Games for the PS2. Other than long load times, the game is quite good. It's pacing is excellent and the graphics are about as best as the PS2 gets. It even gave me the shivers once. Sometimes a game transcends platforms and technology and just rocks. That's Resident Evil 4. Of course I bought it on Friday then got the 360 on Sunday. Now it's competing with that for my time, but that's what multiplatform gaming is all about.

Comments

• I played Resident Evil 4 in the few weeks before the Wii came out. I beat it the day before I went to get the Wii. I must say, the game is quite excellent. I only have two complaints with the game. First of all, there is no way to buy ammunition. That is quite annoying. If they wanted to make ammunition conservation a major part of the game, they should have given you less of it, like they did in Resident Evil 1. Having so much ammunition in the game, but not allowing you to buy it is sort of annoying and backwards. The other problem with the game is that I can not bring myself to suspend disbelief when it comes to the plot. The main character has so many chances to shoot boss characters during cut-scenes, it's insane. He never takes a single shot at them until the actual boss fight. WTF?

Other than that, RE4 is great.
  • I pretty much agree.

Of course, I haven't really played the game much, but I think I can safely say that this was no cutscene and "A" was pressed.
  • His axe, however, was never on fire.
  • His axe, however, was never on fire.
    He did kill my parents, though.
  • edited February 2007
    I just went back to it yesterday. I found the control scheme awfully clunky. for an apparent masterpiece. The camera is really bad, and I'm constantly running out of ammo.

Anyway, the game is good, but it wouldnt have made my "best of" list for anything.

If you want a good control scheme and camera, check out God of War. It's smooth as butter.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I just went back to it yesterday - i found the control scheme awfully clunky. for an apparent masterpiece - the camera is really bad and im constantly running out of ammo.

anyways the game is good - but it wouldnt have made my "best of" list for anything.

if you want a good control scheme and camera - check out God of War. smooth as butter.
    What system did you play it on? I played on GameCube and had no problems. Not to be mean, but this sounds to me like you just suck at it :)
  • I first played on teh PS2, and how most people were saying it scared them half-to death; I dont know how it was scary. Sure it was a little suspenseful at times, but not scary. Also the unlockables were very cool. Hence the Chicago Typewriter.
  • The GameCube version of Resident Evil 4 was much better. The analog shoulder buttons definitely made a big difference.
  • edited February 2007
    What system did you play it on? I played on GameCube and had no problems. Not to be mean, but this sounds to me like you just suck at it :)
    Haha. Yes, I do suck at it. I keep using up all my ammo. There's not enough imo! I'm up to 3-2 in the castle, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I run out. I'm up to these invisible spider things that come out of nowhere and attack you from behind, using the shotgun, right now. Tuesday night was the first time I've played it in about a year.

I'm playing on the cube/Wii.

I agree that the cube version is much better: the PS2 version doesn't look as good, although I have to say that RE4 on the Wii hooked up to an HDTV looks pretty piss poor.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • So would anything. That's the nature of the game with HD, unfortunately. Shadow of the Colossus looks like ass on my LCD. Sucks.

And people probably complain about the controls for the same reason they've been complaining since 1995: they suck. And they do suck, it's just a matter if you're used to them by this point or not. I think it's tough to argue that driving your character like a tank is a transparent control scheme. Resident Evil was one of the first (if not THE first) "next gen" game I played, and I played the hell out of it. It's an acquired taste, I guess, but you get the hang of them you'll be power-juking dogs with the best of them.
  • Oh wait, you guys are totally right about the controls. I just remembered the third thing I hate about Resident Evil 4. You can't have your character move and shoot at the same time. This wasn't a problem in other Resident Evil games because they were mostly puzzly and only a little bit shooty. RE4 has a lot more shooty. They should have updated the controls to be Robotron style so you could move and shoot at the same time.
  • I played the first chapter of RE4, I remember liking it quite a bit, despite the control scheme. And then I got to the first boss. I knew what I was supposed to avoid the rocks and stuff when the boss pulled me, and I tried repeatedly to do it. After trying to do it for about 2 hours, I gave up. I don't know if it was me or what, but I just couldn't stop getting killed by the boss.
  • I played the first chapter of RE4, I remember liking it quite a bit, despite the control scheme. And then I got to the first boss. I knew what I was supposed to avoid the rocks and stuff when the boss pulled me, and I tried repeatedly to do it. After trying to do it for about 2 hours, I gave up. I don't know if it was me or what, but I just couldn't stop getting killed by the boss.
    You had the dog distract him, right? I also had a little bit of trouble with this boss, but I finally figured out how to climb on top of him and do the big damage.
  • No, no I did not. I will get it from Gamefly again and give it another try. This time with the dog.
  • He's talking about the lake boss, not the ogre.

There really isn't much more of a strategy for the guy besides 'throw harpoon, dodge rock'.
  • By the by, are you guys ever going to do an episode about the game?