This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A funny thing happened when I was booting Ubuntu

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
So I'm a 12 year old and for Christmas I got a new PC that can actually boot Ubuntu. After school today I remembered my new PC can handle Ubuntu; when I was booting the live CD my dad came in and was like "What the heck is this???". Once it was all finished and it was at the desktop my dad was looking at me funny. He turned off my PC and walked off shaking his head. I want to install it, but I'm scared my dad will get mad at me, and I'm scared I won't get my printer to work, which I'm sure I can get it to work if I put my mind to it.

Comments

• Most printers will work pretty easily. Just search on Google for the name and model of your printer and Ubuntu.
  • I keep forgetting there are kiddies here! I should stop swearing...nah, bugger it.
  • Just tell your dad about the guy who set his dad up with "Windows Vista" (aka Ubuntu with Beryl) and he didn't even notice.
  • You could also set up a dual boot machine for a while. Have Ubuntu on either a separate partition or on a separate disk (they're cheap). I have that now, while I am working on transitioning away from Windows. Ubuntu is on one (SATA) HD, and Windows on another. It was a little tricky to get the grub bootloader's config just right, but not too bad. It works fine.

I hear --- but don't know --- that the Ubuntu installer can detect that you have an existing Windows installation, and add it to your Grub menu automagically. Check the Ubuntu forums, most of what you'd need to know is there.

Cheers,

Hank
  • Just tell your dad about the guy who set his dad up with "Windows Vista" (aka Ubuntu with Beryl) and he didn't even notice.
    Or better yet, just tell him it is Vista.