This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070301 - Podcasts

RymRym
edited March 2007 in Everything Else

Tonight on GeekNights, we ramble a bit about what podcasts we listen to and how our tastes have changed over time. In the news, Rym is a member of the Digg Bury-Brigade Illuminati, and the FCC is possibly on the road to SCOTUS intervention.

Scott's Thing - Freakazoid in Spanish
Rym's Thing - COPS in German

Comments

• Shit. I bury stories all the time, and I didn't make that list...
  • Would it be possible to link to the podcasts you discussed in the show? I heard about a couple I wanted to check out but missed the name of
  • I wrote a short post about the current bury brigade fiasco and Digg's response. It was promptly buried on Digg which is no surprise to me.

Has anyone been to Technorati lately? Some Asian blogs with tons of links are popping up on there and giving Engadget the boot from the top spot!
  • The tonight Tonight Show guy before Carson was Jack Paar ('57-'62). Wikipedia's Tonight Show article also says Steve Allen was host before Paar.

Trivially Yours,

Hank
  • OMG Freakazoid in Spanish! Awesome!
  • This show has bad audio quality

http://www.footytalk.com.au/wordpress/

check it out!
  • This post presented to you in Scream-o-vision...

Scream
  • Freakazoid is spanish is also known as "Fenomenoide"
    The greatest super hero ever.
  • Good show Thursday. You guys brought back a lot of cartoon memories.
  • The M.D. Geist soundtrack you guys keep ragging on is probably the best part of the show. It's got a couple of pretty decent vocal tracks on it, if you like melodramatic giant robot-esque theme songs.

Still, better to listen to two four minute songs than watch two forty five minute pieces of crap, I guess.
  • I think it makes sense for you to listen to your own podcasts. It will allow you to critique yourselves and allow for performance improvements over time. It could also help you recall items you may have forgotten at the time of the podcasts and thus these items could contribute to future episodes.

If you happen to simply enjoy hearing your own voices that's fine too.
  • Sometimes, because of Twitter, I've been listening to old random episodes.

I started listening to one called "Podcasts" from March 2007. I was thinking "Wow, the sound quality is really bad compared to now."

And then Rym said "I'm thinking of writing a guide on podcasting, because they generally suck in terms of sound quality."

Aaaahhhhhhh nostalgia.
  • And then Rym said "I'm thinking of writing a guide on podcasting, because they generally suck in terms of sound quality."
    Heh... I mostly finished that guide, realized it was too technical for its target audience, started re-writing it with less jargon, and then decided that podcasting was fading fast enough that it wasn't worth the effort to bother. Anyone who actually cared would learn it on their own, and the rest would need so basic of a "how"to" guide that I just lost interest. (Most of my interest was in garnering a share of that massive, seething, short-lived boom in podcasting).

Rym's New Podcasting Guide:

0. Learn public speaking and have things to say that other people might be interested in.
    1. Learn basic audio engineering.
    2. Buy good microphones, a mediocre mixer, and a cheap compressor (Shure, Xenyx, Samson respectively).
    3. Acquire Adobe Audition, Cool Edit Pro, or Rezound. Learn dynamics and spectrum processing in them. (Audacity can't do granular dynamic compression on its own, but it's fine for multitrack recording).
    4. Use all of the above to make audio files.
    5. Distribute said audio files via RSS.
  • 6. If you're good, and you really want it, switch to a mulitrack Firewire rig and ditch the compressor (except for live shows).
  • have things to say that other people might be interested in.
    For me, this is the only thing that matter in podcasting.
  • have things to say that other people might be interested in.
    For me, this is the only thing that matter in podcasting.
    Word - People will listen to a great show with bad sound, but a bad show with great sound will never succeed.