This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

moving out of the parents house

edited March 2006 in Everything Else
As of today, I now have an apartment of my own. YAAAAYYY.

Any advice on lving on your own?

Comments

• eat food
  • It depends a bit on whether you're simply living on your own, or actually living -alone.-

General advice:

Actually do the housework. We all lived in relative filth at RIT in the campus apartments. That doesn't quite work so well out in the real world where there aren't people who kick you out of your home once a year and steam-clean it

Learn to cook if you can't already. Experiment. Don't fall into the trap of eating out all the time: it's horridly expensive in the long run...

Buy a flashlight. Everyone always forgets to buy one when they move out on their own, since one was always 'just there.'

Now, if you're living -alone- alone, I have much more advice. I lived alone in several stretches over the past few years in various towns, and my experiences were always the same.

Get Netflix. Actually living alone left me with near-infinte free-time and little to do with it. Having a semi-constant stream of movies and anime is quite handy.

Get out. Even if you don't find people or fellow geeks around, go out and do things. When I lived alone in Fishkill, I often hung around book stores and coffee shops reading. Staying in your apartment all the time will make you stir-crazy before you know it.

Travel. I often drove to Rochester for weekend trips, or to PA to hang with ScoJo. I'd head into the city even when I had no real reason to be there. Visit friends. Go to cons.
  • Thanks Rym. Everything except for the housework and cooking was really helpful for me.
    I'm going to be living alone alone but i'm going to be driving back to West Hartford on the weekends.