This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Watermarking photos

edited March 2007 in Video Games
I recently acquired press credentials with Nintendo for the purpose of having good quality images for when I publish game reviews.

After going into their press area and then looking on line something really started bugging me. I am finding that the images Nintendo offers for free to the press are often cropping up all over the web with website names watermarked on them. The most common offender is IGN.com.

This really bugs me because the images are not from these sites but from Nintendo.

What do the rest of you think?

Comments

• They do that to prevent hot-linking.
  • and also that you go, "OH! IGN has pictures of (insert name of game here)! I should go to their site and see if there are more!"
  • To prevent hot linking? Isn't there an Apache setting for that?

It just bugs me because I feel that you should only be watermarking an image if it is yours. I'd consider it much as I would someone taking the GeekNights podcast and mixing a voice over (every few minutes) with the name of a different website that decided to host the file.
  • I hate how IGN has the best pictures and is copyrighted by Nintendo or another company and yet sites like IGN place there big logo on pics claiming it's there even though it's copyrighted by other companies. The next best picture of the same one is a few hundred pixels smaller.
  • I want press credentials :(