This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Any Bracketologists in the group?

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
This might be the wrong place to ask this but is anyone here into March Madness? I have Niagara in the play-in game tomorrow.

Comments

• I care about sports more than most of the other geeks, and I really just don't care about basketball at all. It's a fun sport to play, but as a spectator sport it is the worst. When people score constantly, where's the excitement? Occasionally a game will be close near the end, and it can get pretty intense. If that's the only time that the game is exciting they should just play a game where the first team to make three baskets wins. Also, they need to make the nets higher and the court bigger.

The Grand Prix of Melbourne is in four days, watch that instead. A new exciting F1 season is about to begin.
  • I filled one out on Facebook only because my team is in the tournament. I agree with Scott, basketball is boring as shit.
  • To answer your question, yes. But who cares about the play-in game? They're gonna get wiped by Kansas anyway. Go for the real tourney.

And Apreche, you say basketball is boring but you watch RACING?
  • To answer your question, yes. But who cares about the play-in game? They're gonna get wiped by Kansas anyway. Go for the real tourney.

And Apreche, you say basketball is boring but you watch RACING?
    Have you watched F1 racing? If you have, did you understand what was going on?

Basketball is flawed as a spectator sport because even if you know how the game works, it still doesn't provide as much excitement as say, ice hockey. Formula 1 is flawed in that it is not easy to understand what is going on. It is also hard to grasp the big picture because it is not all right there in front of you. F1 is awesome, but you really have to spend the time to figure out what is going on to enjoy it fully.

It helps if you like the sound of cars going vroom!
  • I only watch hockey. ^_~
  • I only watch hockey.
    Mmmm...Stanley cup playoffs...mmmm
  • I find F1 boring, but I have little interest in sport. Dad (and nearly every other male nearby) loves the f1, though.

One thing... The cars often race well above 300 km/h (190 mph). That's pretty damned fast. Fast enough to impress me, a non-believer (anyone says, "Shuuuuuun", I block the rest of their comments...)

It's really easy for me to get you guys recordings if you want them. Dad has been making TV rips (from digital tv). I'll compress them some for ease of download, though. If you want anything specifically, and don't like the chances of getting it, I'll ask him for y'all.
  • edited March 2007
    Sorry Apreche, that came off wrong. I don't dislike F1, it's just that I never see it. It's a million times better than *shudder* NASCAR. Also, I've played basketball for most of my life, and I like watching the game.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Hockey is the greatest in-person fan experience in sports. Unfortunately, that doesn't carry over to television. Double unfortunate for me is the fact that the LA Kings are my favorite team. They suck.

I was into racing quite a bit as a kid. I even went to the California 500 back in the 80s. I haven't seen any F1 in a long, long time (circa "Wide World of Sports" days) but I'll try and catch a race or two based on Scott's recommendation.

I'm older than most of you and grew up when baseball was still the national past time. It is still my favorite sport, especially listening to it on radio or via mlb.com. I was spoiled though as I grew up listening to Vin Scully.
  • Basketball is not the best sport, but it's pretty entertaining. You have to appreciate the very fast-paced, high score, back-and-forth sort of play - it's definitely a different style of play than soccer or football or baseball.

That said, I have no idea about college sports. Apparently one of the players is named Odin? I'm rooting for that team.
  • The Grand Prix of Melbourne is in four days, watch that instead. A new exciting F1 season is about to begin.
    You know it was 10 times better before they STOLE it from us the thieving bastards!
  • rhino,
    Oden. Greg Oden. On the Ohio State Suckeyes.
  • Sorry Apreche, that came off wrong. I don'tdislikeF1, it's just that I never see it. It's a million times better than *shudder* NASCAR. Also, I've played basketball for most of my life, and I like watching the game.
    NASCAR does suck, I will not argue that. However, there is a little bit more to it than cars going in circles. It's still too bad to ever be worth watching or caring about, but it does have a slight amount of merit that people seem to ignore. This is probably because, like F1 and other forms of racing, you need to know a lot of things that aren't immediately apparent just by watching the screen to figure out where the drama is coming from. So yeah, NASCAR sucks, but it only 99% sucks instead of 100% sucks.

That said, I have no idea about college sports. Apparently one of the players is named Odin? I'm rooting for that team.
    Sadly his name is Greg Oden, not Odin. He's probably going to be the next big NBA star, so watch out.