This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What should I do?

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
I have a situation... All the married guys should be able to understand this.

Right now I have a "good" job with "good" benefits. However, I hate my job for many of the same reasons Scott hated his former job. This job is now offering a resignation plan where, if I choose to leave, I get all my pension-type moneys and 34 weeks of pay. Health care would be COBRA.

If I take this "offer" I would have to leave by the end of March.

I live in Western CT, about 30 miles from Rym and Scott. I would need a replacement job with "good" benefits and a 75K minimum salary. Though I do have mad computer skillz I hold no degrees. I do have mondo experience with telco equipment, programming (C++/PHP/MySQL) and basic electronics (I fixed optical/fire control systems).

Does such a job exist for me?

Comments

• If you hate your job, this is a no brainer. Take the money and go. Then get that resume going. Get on Craig's List and Monster. If nothing else, you can be a consultant with your own business.
  • It is not a no-brainer as I am supporting a family with this job. If I were single with no dependants it would be a no-brainer.
  • No, it really is. Use your fear as motivation to find a new job, not as an excuse to stagnate. By going on a budget, you can turn those 34 weeks into a year. Moreover, you can learn to live with less and take a job you enjoy even if it pays less. Knowing what you want is the first step. It's entirely up to you.
  • Hey, if you resign and they give you 34 weeks pay, that's pretty hot. You can find a new job, quit, and then make double money for 34 weeks. If your new job pays more, you might even make more than double money for 34 weeks. How hot is that? As a quitter, I say quit, but not until after you've already found a new job.
  • Take note of the Craigslist idea.

It's far, far more effective than any other online job search tool. The statistics show that it gets as much as 60 times as many views. Though I haven't personally found a job on it, my friends have; recently, after spending 4 months searching via traditional means, a friend of mine got 2 interviews from the first 2 jobs she found on Craiglist, and ended up getting hired at one of those. And she's in Rochester. With a liberal arts degree.

Craiglist FTW.
  • Steve: Do you have children? Does your wife work at all?
  • Steve: Do you have children? Does your wife work at all?
    Yes and yes. I carry all of the benefits though.

I am perusing craigslist...
  • I'm finding some interesting jobs on craiglist and some interesting job names...

Java SuperStar Wanted!!!
    PHP Wizard!!!

The funny thing is that these jobs are looking for a master developer and only offering 60K as a salary!
  • Posting your resume on Craigslist is more productive than looking at the listings. There are lots of employers out there trolling the resume listings without making any posts.