This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for a new webhost/domain registrar, anyone know one?

Well, my website has been down for almost a week due to a phenomonolly huge fuck-up with a DNS server somewhere. I figure this is a good time to look for a new company to host my website, since my current one has been gradually raising their prices while their customer service has been geting worse.

I'm looking for webhosts that aren't terribly expensive that have a support line with people who pick up on the other end, that has the ability to create sub-domains, and that will help me keep my domain name registered. Right now I'm paying about $150 a year for everything, so if I can get it cheaper than that, it'd be even better.

Comments

• I pay about $100 for my domain via ipowerweb but... their customer support sucks real bad.

Drop by King Nomar and drop him a contact note asking about hosting. Tell him HMTKSteve sent you.
  • For people who know how to administer a Linux server, I suggest Linode. For people who do not, there are thousands of easy-hosts out there. DreamHost is a popular one. There are hundreds more, Google will show you the way. If you have lots of traffic, a dedicated server is the only way to run.
  • edited March 2007
    I've had nothing but success with bluehost.com. Been with them for about two months now. Though they require a contract (I think minimum is 3 months), they're the cheapest I've ever found at $6.95 a month. Allows for something ludicrous like 55 gigs of hard disk space and 500 gigs of bandwidth a month.

I wouldn't say my site really HAMMERS them, but we've done about 70 gigs of transfer this month, with 10 gigs last night alone, and I've only ever seen the site go down once, and that was for less than an hour.

AND they provide a phone number for customer service which, as most people know, can be a rarity for webhosts.

EDIT: My mistake, it's two THOUSAND gigs of bandwidth per month.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • edited March 2007
    Check out OxyUK. It's my friend's company. Even though it says "UK" they do business anywhere.

[Edit]And I call the support line all the time. It works and the people are helpful.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I would back Dave on Bluehost.com. I am also using bluehost because it's relatively cheap, the customer service is great, and it has easy one button wordpress install. I was referred to it by wordpress.

I believe that godaddy.com is cheaper but I don't know anything else other than that.