This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XKCD

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
I found this awesome new webcomic and after searching though the archives, I don't recall anyone mentioning it, so here I go. xkcd

Here are some of my favorites:

Comments

• Those are all actually somewhat funny and new. Artist needed badly.
  • I enjoy reading xkcd, the jokes generally hit home when I understand them, there's been a few where the mathematical language used has gone over my head. In such cases I still generally get the point although some of the humour is lost in translation.
    It's yet another webcomic where there's an additional joke to be found if you mouse-over the image (although it is in the title rather than the alt-text but that's semantics in this situation) so check those out as well when you're reading it. Since the comic is almost all text with bare minimum graphics these might as well be part of the strip.
  • edited March 2007
    The comic is so good because of the bad art! Just like KODT.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited March 2007
    The comic is so good because of the bad art! Just likeKODT.
    And KOL.

And I have to say, this thing is quite the awesome.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I read the entire archives last night. XKCD is an amazing comic.
  • Dammit Feynman!

xkcd is really good. Make sure you check the alt-texts, they usually add a little bit to the joke, and sometimes they're funnier than the main comic.
  • I don't know why this one had me laughing so hard...

• Dude. How could you post them without the alt text? That is half of the joke.
  • Ah, I feel so special when I actually understand one of the jokes.
  • Hee! This has been one of my favourite comics for a while now. I'll admit that I usually skip over the alt-texts ( Because I'm lazy :( ), even though I have always known they are there...
  • If you like xkcd, then you'll definitely like Indexed.
  • Oh, F U xkcd. I've spent like half an hour on wikipedia mindlessly clicking links, happy now?
  • It is easily done.
  • What the fuck? D= I just tried that trivia thing with the article for "Breasts" and the article for "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers", and it worked both times. I think this requires a few more hours experimentation.
  • I tried it when I read it, starting with the article of the day ("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Happy Towel Day everybody!) and almost hit it when I came to Aristotle and the first link was "greek" followed by "philosopher" :)
    Then I had to stop because I was at work.
  • edited May 2011
    There's an edit war going on over Fact which currently leads a lot of the paths to Philosophy into an endless loop.

EDIT: the war has apparently moved to other parts of the chain.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I tried it when I read it, starting with the article of the day ("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Happy Towel Day everybody!) and almost hit it when I came to Aristotle and the first link was "greek" followed by "philosopher" :)
    Then I had to stop because I was at work.
    OH MAN, you were so close, only like ~7 more clicks!
  • Using Randal's criteria, it took 17 clicks to get from McDonaldland to Modern Philosophy.
  • Using Randal's criteria, it took 17 clicks to get from McDonaldland to Modern Philosophy.
    That makes 18 clicks to 'Philosophy'.
  • I started at Ultraman. 28 clicks got me into a loop starting and ending at Indo-European languages.
  • Indo-European languages.
    ->Family->Languages->Human->Taxonomy->Science->Knowledge->Fact. And as I pointed out "Fact" (and some of the pages between Fact and Philosophy) have been party to an edit war today, so maybe you tried this during a time when it looped back. Currently you go Fact->Information->Finite->Mathematics->Quantity->Property->Modern Philosphy->Philosophy.
  • Have you guys considered the possibility that you're being trolled?
  • Indo-European languages.
    ->Family->Languages->Human->Taxonomy->Science->Knowledge->Fact. And as I pointed out "Fact" (and some of the pages between Fact and Philosophy) have been party to an edit war today, so maybe you tried this during a time when it looped back. Currently you go Fact->Information->Finite->Mathematics->Quantity->Property->Modern Philosphy->Philosophy.
    It's currently 36 clicks from "Ultraman" to "Philosophy," as the edit war seems to have taken out the step that brought be to Indo-European languages.

This is fun. I could play this game all day.
  • It worked for Ballerinas....
  • Appropos of another thread, I just tried Divine (the actor). Just 17 hops to Philosophy.
  • edited August 2011
    Today:

Here's my take on anti-gravity balls (2001):

Or stick men and juggling (2003):

Post edited by Luke Burrage on