This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help me before I throw my microphone out the window!

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
I couldn't get my microphone to work in Windows because I don't have office and the only instructions I can find tell me how to turn it on using office options.

So I thought I'd record with ubuntu, I found this article which made it work but now its not working again!

Would one of you lovely, smart people help me please?

Comments

• What's this ubuntu? I'm not familiar with that pokemon...
  • Ubuntu could kick Snorlax's ass.
  • Is there a microphone fixing pokemon?
  • edited March 2007
    tuttle:
    What are you trying to do with your mic?

Getting started: Is there an on/off/mute switch on the headset or cord? Is it plugged in to your mic jack? Is the mic volume control muted?

Be more specific and maybe I can help you figure it out.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Hey, cool. I was looking to use a microphone to control things, now maybe I can hijack another thread!
  • Uh... deaf-mute, how exactly do YOU propose to use a mic? It's a question that's making my brain explode :D
  • What kind of microphone is it? Any brand and model? Is it built in or separate?

In Windows, all you generally need to do to make a microphone work is to plug it in to an active microphone port, and make sure the record volume of the microphone is not zero or muted. Then, any program ready to receive microphone input should work. Office shouldn't be involved at any point.

What program are you looking to use with the microphone? Voice communication software (Skype, TeamSpeak, etc.)? Sound recording (Adobe Audition, Windows Sound Recorder, Odeo, etc.)? Something internal to another app, such as Battlefield 1942?

The answers to these questions would help determine the best approach.
  • If it's a real microphone, as opposed to a computer microphone, it likely won't work very well or at all without a pre-amplifier in the chain...
  • Its a "TECHWORKS Goose Neck Desktop Microphone" I bought it from office works. I'm trying to run Audacity to record my podcast. The microphone works fine on my laptop which runs xp but I can't get it to work on this computer. Its all plugged in correctly, the power is on and the volume isn't muted.

Windows help site says to check the options I have to go to"the Speech Recognition tab, select Configure Microphone." But my speech recognition tab doesn't have a configure microphone bit. So I try to find out how to make there be one, but apparently there isn't a speech recognition engine built into XP you need office, which I don't have, or I have to go buy something which I'm not going to do. So I say fuck you windows.

So I go to Ubuntu and follow the instructions in the article I posted before, and it works. Yay! I can record! Then Thursday I boot into Ubuntu and open Audacity expecting it to work like it did last time but it didn't. I tried switching between the line-in options and checked the volume etc. but I had no luck.
  • I don't know. I haven't got a microphone at the moment. It's more of a "I'll play with it later" thing. Main reason being that I'm currently doing a Human-Computer Interactions class, and we were talking about using alternate methods of control. In a lab class, I was controlling MS Word by voice (Not dictation, but controlling menus, "file" "paste" "open" "save"). It was kind of fun (until the tutor came over and started chatting with me, and I forgot to turn the microphone off :P

But I was pretty much going to look into some similar fun for Ubuntu.