This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston

12346»

Comments

• The Hynes is already a crowded mess, and the bag checks are near-disaster around lunch and dinner. I worry for this year.

We've already decided to stop recording panels at Anime Boston: it's too much hassle to get the equipment in.
  • I have not heard back from them about the booth unless I hear something by next Wednesday its a no go for me.
  • Rym said:

We've already decided to stop recording panels at Anime Boston: it's too much hassle to get the equipment in.

Which panels are you doing this year? The schedule's not public yet.
  • We're not 100% sure. The schedule's not even out for us yet...
  • Anime Boston will a Foundations Of Anime section. It sounds like it will be fairly isolated within the con, which sucks, but it's a good first step toward bringing an education piece to anime cons.
  • Sounds like they're giving Charles Dunbar his own section :P
  • Our schedule is mostly complete. A few updates and ambiguities to work out, but something like:

Friday:

Judge Anime by its Cover
    6:30pm - 7:30pm
    Hynes Panel 206
    http://animeboston.com/coninfo/schedule_panel/1461

Short Form Anime
    11:00pm - midnight
    room 107

Saturday:

Analyzing Anime: Utena
    6:00pm-7:00pm (7:00pm - 8:00pm in schedule)
    Hynes Panel A
    http://animeboston.com/coninfo/schedule_panel/1488

Saturday Night / Sunday Morning:

Foreign Anime Openers
    12:30am - 2:00am
    Hynes Panel 202
    http://animeboston.com/coninfo/schedule_panel/1577

We are getting the fuck out of dodge Sunday morning rather than going to the con. As with last year, the reason is 100% the bag checks and not wanting to deal with them.
  • It's weird that they're scheduling you so late, are you putting 18+ content in your Short Form Anime and Foreign Anime Openers that weren't in there before?
  • Zero 18+ content. ;^)
  • Who else is going? I plan on being there all 3 days
  • edited March 2015
    Is Anime Boston really anime focused? How does it compare to Connecticon in terms of content? Tabletop gaming? Panels? Etc?

CT-Con is the only convention I've ever been to. We've been curious about Anime Boston for a while.

EDIT - I guess I could have just gone to the website, huh? Hmm. Maybe next year.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Who else is going? I plan on being there all 3 days

Sadly did not land table so unless I get floor space its a no from me.
  • muppet said:

Is Anime Boston really anime focused? How does it compare to Connecticon in terms of content? Tabletop gaming? Panels? Etc?

CT-Con is the only convention I've ever been to. We've been curious about Anime Boston for a while.

EDIT - I guess I could have just gone to the website, huh? Hmm. Maybe next year.

It's very anime. The tabletop gaming is one tiny crappy room, if that. Panels are 90%+ anime/japan/manga related. It's bigger than Connecticon.
  • Yeah I got that impression from the website but that may still be cool. I'll have to look into the expense of a 3 day stay in Boston and the realities of transportation (wouldn't want to leave my car in the Riverside station lot for a weekend). My daughter will definitely dig the heck out of it even if I'm only mildly entertained.
  • muppet said:

Yeah I got that impression from the website but that may still be cool. I'll have to look into the expense of a 3 day stay in Boston and the realities of transportation (wouldn't want to leave my car in the Riverside station lot for a weekend). My daughter will definitely dig the heck out of it even if I'm only mildly entertained.

Parking in Boston is the most expensive.
  • Apreche said:

Parking in Boston is the most expensive.

• muppet said:

Yeah I got that impression from the website but that may still be cool. I'll have to look into the expense of a 3 day stay in Boston and the realities of transportation (wouldn't want to leave my car in the Riverside station lot for a weekend). My daughter will definitely dig the heck out of it even if I'm only mildly entertained.

I leave my car at Riverside for every PAX and AB I've ever gone to and never had a problem. It is the most cost effective way to park plus you don't have to drive in Boston proper.
  • It's not the expense I'm worried about but the security. It sounds like the Riverside lot is OK to leave a vehicle in for days at a time, though? So if that's the case we're golden. That's easy.
  • I've been doing it since the first PAX East and the only problem my crew ever ran into was a ticket for a rejection sticker on his car.
  • Security isn't a problem: crime is low in that area. It's one of the super nice parts of Boston.
  • I'm impressed with the panel, "Gojira! A Conversation with the Cast of the original 1954 Classic Movie . And overall there are a lot of good things on the panel schedule this year. Looks like they've done a good job of attracting more academics. Plus of course some regular favorites. Rym and Apreche, I'm very much looking forward to your Utena panel.

The "live gaming" room isn't much, but good times have been had. I recall a spirited round of Linguini. Which makes me think maybe I should bring in Channel A at some point, if anybody would be up for that. (Though maybe they'll already have it.)
  • I'll have to hit up that Gojira panel. I didn't think any of those people were alive, let alone at Anime Boston.
  • jtvh said:

The "live gaming" room isn't much, but good times have been had. I recall a spirited round of Linguini. Which makes me think maybe I should bring in Channel A at some point, if anybody would be up for that. (Though maybe they'll already have it.)

Assume no, every animeplace I go doesn't have a copy and when I bust it out it quickly becomes a focal point of the CAH crowd.
  • Coldguy said:

jtvh said:

Assume no, every animeplace I go doesn't have a copy and when I bust it out it quickly becomes a focal point of the CAH crowd.
    Perhaps I shall bring, then. Also maybe Superfights. Because apparently I want to play nothing but silly card games.
  • jtvh said:

Coldguy said:

jtvh said:

Perhaps I shall bring, then. Also maybe Superfights. Because apparently I want to play nothing but silly card games.
    I mix it up between silly card games and serious games at conventions. Sadly I won't be there but hope you guys gt another round of languini in for me.
  • edited April 2015
    Printing errors exist. Scott is not actually on this panel. Also there were several panelists listed on Jed's postmodernism panel, which they were not on.

Post edited by jtvh on
  • This is amazing. Scott, I had no idea you were a connoisseur of thigh high socks and short skirts!