This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070320 - X-Com: UFO Defense and Star Control 2

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Anyone have any advice for how to start on Star Control/Ur' Quan Masters? I've gathered materials from around the solar system, when I go to Earth, of course, the drone intercepts me, and if I try to leave the system, I always have to fight those resource gathering probes and it seems like you can't control combat at all
    By the way, thanks Rym and Scott, I'm really digging these games, even if I suck at them
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • If you can't control combat, something is wrong. Star Control combat controls in a similar fashion to asteroids. Don't forget your special secondary attack!
  • Katsu: I'm playing the beginner level, with the standard first combat (kill aliens, bring back anything you find) scenarios.

The problem I'm facing is that as soon as I leave the plane lift, some alien will fire from a long distance. The shot will usually go wide, but the soldiers will all panic. I can't even get them off the plane before they're throwing down their rifles. Then they're useless and their time units are gone.

I'm also loading up the Skyranger with more troops right from the start. I figure sending 10 guys out will be more effective than sending out the standard five.

In one instance, I got all my soldiers off the plane and started setting up a perimeter. The bloody damned aliens fired a rocket or explosive of some sort and took out six of the 10 soldiers in the field. I was so pissed.

Maybe someone who is good at this game could post a short vid showing how YOU go about it.
  • If you're having trouble initially with deployments, try the following.

Stick a tank in there (take up the space of four soldiers) and send it out first. The tank can take fire without dying or causing morale loss, and can furthermore waste that alien sniper's time, thus allowing your men to swarm out and shoot him. It also happens to hit REALLY hard.

Early on, with those garbage human rifles, go ahead and waste ammo with auto-shots. Ammo is cheap: soldiers are expensive.

Also, check out your soldiers' stats before you start using them. I typically fire anyone with a particularly low morale score to avoid having to deal with their expecting freakouts.

(Don't forget that soldiers don't just cost $20k: they draw a $20k SALARY. Sacking crappy ones (or sending them out on suicide missions with backpacks full of active grenades) isn't that bad of an idea.
  • What I find interesting about your discussion of X-Com is that the way you get more money is the opposite of the way it works in the US government.

In the US failing programs always get more money under the assumption that more money is needed because the program would work if it were better funded! By the same token, working programs also need more money so they can work better.

If this game were truly following government logic you would get more money no matter how badly you performed!
  • Well, it actually gets complicated. The funding members of the UN committee drop their funding usually after signing nonaggression pacts with the aliens, as opposed to for performance reasons. ^_~

X-Com also becomes less and less reliant on the UN mandate as time goes on, mostly due to their monopoly on the research, understanding, and eventual manufacturing of alien technology. Selling plasma weapons on the open market goes a long way toward funding the program even without UN support.

Now, why doesn't someone else just buy the weapons I'm selling, research them on their own, and eliminate my monopoly? The answer is Elerium-115. This element, which cannot be manufactured, is obtained only though the acquisition of alien devices that use it, and it is the only viable power source for much of this technology.

I remember one long game where I spent several months in a tight spot. I'd converted my entire operation to using alien-derived technology (my own UFOs, flying armour, alien nukes, etc...), all of which relies on E-115. I ended up using it at a rate faster than I could replenish it from scavenge. By the time I realized this critical error, I no longer had any conventional technology, and had little way to fight the ever-increasing hordes of UFOs.

I had to ignore a terror attack in New York that left countless dead and almost caused the US to pull out of the program.

After a lot of planning and resource-management, I put together a do-or-die assault of a known alien base. Despite heavy casualties, I was able to secure it and obtain enough E-115 to resume normal operations.

Gods, I love that game.
  • Thanks Rym and Scott for ruining my life.
    I just finally kicked the WOW habit and unistalled BF2 and you guys do this.
    i wonder if i will graduate this year.
    Goes off to play xcom
  • We need X-Com for the DS!!!
  • We need X-Com for the DS!!!
    YES WE DO!
  • My strategy later in the game, when I am using only Alien-Human hybrid technology reliant on E-115, is to launch a troop transport as soon as a big ship is detected, but to wait around for it to land. I rarely sent out interceptors, except against terror mission ships, because an intact UFO provides much more resources than one that crash-landed. Of course, to keep casualties low, I would authorize the gratuitous use of high explosives with extreme prejudice.

I agree with Rym that having a tank with you early in the game, and even later in the game, is a great asset. They can take a beating and keep on fighting, and they are expendable. I usually had tanks take point positions in patrols, so that aliens would first fire at the tank, thus revealing their location. The other members of the patrol would then open fire, at least 1 member who would be equipped with a rocket launcher or auto-cannon with high-explosive shells.

Also, in terms of research, I suggest starting with laser technology. As the commander of Earth's only defense against the unknown threat, you must be willing to make sacrifices. Better weapons will be more effective in taking down the aliens than a medikit. Also, without some form of armor that can withstand super-heated plasma, there's usually little that a medikit can do to save the life of a soldier.
  • Laser pistols are important weapons. They're light, accurate, ammo-free, and cheap. I use them as a standard-issue side-arm even late in the game. I'll even equip light scouts with them as a primary weapon.

The laser rifle is useless except against very specific threats that are resistant to plasma. The heavy laser is a monstrosity. The laser cannon. however, is critical. Late in the game, I'll equip several small UFOs or even Interceptors with dual laser cannons. These craft serve as all-purpose interceptors to take out any and all of the smaller UFOs that aren't worth expending E-115 on. Even if you're not going to salvage it, any UFO that achieves its mission is bad news: destroy them whenever you can.
  • I have to admit that I never played X-Com, but I will now.

I did play almost all of the Space Quest games and I have the collection on CD-ROM... Those games made you think...
  • I found the laser rifles to be indispensible weapons. They are more effective and accurate than the standard issue assault rifles, and there is no ammunition to worry about. They served me well as I completed research on alien weapons technology. Though I do agree that the heavy laser is usually a waste of space, but is necessary to develop laser cannons and fitting them onto tanks.
  • I rush plasma rifles and heavy plasma as soon as I have the resources to spare. By the midgame, I deploy almost exclusively heavy plasma among my shock troops.
  • Truly, the heavy plasma is a great weapon. But I think you forget about the true equalizer.

I'll give you a hint: It's silver and football shaped.
  • It's silver and football shaped.
    I remember the first time an alien used one of those. Launched it right into my Skyranger, killing the commanding officer who was hiding in there with a couple of psychic grunts.

My scientists fell upon it with vigor. The feeling of power the first time I used it was immense. It became SOP to blow a god damned hole in the top of a UFO and raid simultaneously from the top and bottom. It became SOP to BLOW A BUILDING UP rather than send even two men in to clear it. Sniper fire from the woods? Nuke the woods.

Good times.

Fuckers ate Elerium, though.
  • I'm having trouble equipping my skyranger with a tank. It says there are no cannon rounds but I have bought plenty. However, the cannon rounds do not show up in the inventory screen of the skyranger.
  • I wonder if we could launch a campaign to get this game on a DS cartridge...
  • WIP: I'm having the same problem. This game is driving me nuts, because it shows incredible promise... if I can ever figure the damned thing out.

Also, is there ever any story mode?
  • Check the type of cannon rounds that you bought; if I recall correctly, cannon shells for tanks are different from the rounds for Heavy Cannons and Auto-Cannons.

There is nothing but story mode.
  • edited March 2007
    I'm finally starting to get it; I just ran my first successful ground mission. Weee!

I am still asking Rym to do a special supplementary weekend edition of GN, in which he talks about very basic beginning instructions and strategy. You've opened a Pandora's Box, here, Rym. Now lead Legion to glory.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Damn you, GeekNights! Damn you!

I Don't have time for this! I've only got a couple of weeks to finish the paper I've been working on for several years (well, on and off, mostly off, which is why I've run out of time), and if I loose the deadline, I will never get my degree. I can't redo it next year. AND YOU MAKE ME SPEND TWO DAYS PLAYING A STUPID, OLD DOS GAME!!!

I know. I'm weak.
    Sigh.
  • One more thing to remember:

X-COM is not liable for collateral damage except in terms of civilian casualties. The only time that you have to worry about civilians is during a terror mission in a city. So unless you need an alien alive or a sniper's position, you can blow up a building rather than sweep it clean.
  • Rym's right - those laser pistols are indispensable.

Still, terror raids are a pain in the ass because I'm constantly covering civilians and avoiding the use of explosives. I have yet to successfully complete a TR without massive point loss. Also, those f***ing flying saucers take a lot of mojo to drop if you don't happen to have a tank handy.
  • What is the best strategy towards researching technology? Should you split up your scientists or focus them on one project at a time? How many should you have early on?
  • I tend to focus research on one item at a time until I have a research and development base ready and can afford to have a huge research staff. In the beginning I would have about 10 to 15 scientists, and get more engineers as usable products are ready to be manufactured.

I would usually blow past the laser pistols, depending upon high explosives to keep the enemy at bay, until laser rifles are ready. At that point the engineering workshop and living quarters are usually ready to hire more engineers to begin production of laser to equip the squads.
  • OK... I downloaded it and now I have a question.

How do you play this on a fast computer? Every time my mouse hits the edge of a screen it goes super fast to the edge of the map. I can't shoot anything!
  • Still, terror raids are a pain in the ass because I'm constantly covering civilians and avoiding the use of explosives. I have yet to successfully complete a TR without massive point loss. Also, those f***ing flying saucers take a lot of mojo to drop if you don't happen to have a tank handy.
    Are you talking about the Sectoid tanks? Use laser weapons. I never bothered with tanks, didn't like them because their stats didn't increase.
  • Ah, advice from Dave. I can't ignore it, because I'm totally in love with Fast Karate right now, and have listened to eight episodes this weekend.

Chiming in with the others here, darn you, Rym. Darn you straight to heck. I've been playing the hell out of this for the past three days. I'm proud to report that my strategery is improving greatly, but I'm still routinely getting my rear handed to me on defend-the-base and huge-ass UFO missions. At least I'm making good UN ratings and actually turning over a fairly hefty profit each term. Learning to create cover with the tank and deploy strictly defensive units at various posts was the key. It's also much, much easier now with laser rifles, and I'm well on my way to procuring the plasmas.
  • On defend the base missions:

It is all in base design. the aliens can only come in through your access hatch or your hanger. Put all of your hangers on the top of the map, then the access hatch on a level by itself, then a crew quarters right under it. That will force the aliens to come through your men to get anywhere.

Other tips:
    Always leave time units for a snap shot. Always.
    Kneel at the end of every turn. It will save your life.
    Never send a solider out alone, always in twos and threes, but try never to group them either. Aliens love them grenades.
    Plasma can destroy certain walls in UFOs (and so can blaster bombs) use this to your advantage on large ships.
    If you see crysalids(sp) on a terror mission, don't worry about civilian causalities. Break out the heavy explosives and flatten the place. (If you've never seen them they look like aliens. Which means they are black, and you will see them a lot on night terror missions.)
    Make sure you always carry electric torches with you and throw one as far as possible out of the skyranger on night missions. I like putting 3 on the first 4 guys I use.

Oh and Jason, if you think this game is unforgiving, wait until you master it and then try X-com:TTFTD. The AI is never unstoppable even on easy.