This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070320 - X-Com: UFO Defense and Star Control 2

13»

Comments

• Ugh this tank this is just making me livid! The got-damn HWP ammo will not show up in my equip screen for the skyranger. Other than that things are going well. I got plasma weapons and personal armor. I'm sluggin away at those aliens!
  • Something I forgot, if you are having trouble with money early in the game, research laser rifles and the manufacture and sell them for a huge profit.
  • OK... I downloaded it and now I have a question.

How do you play this on a fast computer? Every time my mouse hits the edge of a screen it goes super fast to the edge of the map. I can't shoot anything!
    I guess we know who doesn't read the readme files now. Good show.
  • Something I forgot, if you are having trouble with money early in the game, research laser rifles and the manufacture and sell them for a huge profit.
    Don't you mean laser CANNONS? Those are where the big money lies, as I recall.

And was Terror From the Deep really that hard? I just remember it as being a lamer version of the first game.
    Don't you mean laser CANNONS? Those are where the big money lies, as I recall.

And was Terror From the Deep really that hard? I just remember it as being a lamer version of the first game.
    It is possible those make more money. I always use the rifles myself.

Tftd is harder for people because the Aliens use grenades much more often and your starting weapons seem poorer than x-com. I still need to finish tftd myself. I just kept getting feed up with the huge terror missions that take hours to complete.
  • edited March 2007
    WIP:
    If I recall correctly (and I will confirm this sometime tonight), the HWP ammunition is automatically loaded onto the HWP seperate from the other ammunition on the Skyranger. Just make sure you have enough back at base to resupply it, and it'll be fine.

Dave:
    I use tanks as disposable scouts and as target magnets. I've observed that the alien AI tends to target tanks before soldiers, especially if the tank is ahead of the squad. When an alien fires at the tank, I then know where to send an HE or Phosphorous rocket. Though their stats don't improve they are expendable, have lots of TU's, and don't draw a salary.

Steve:
    Did you set the scroll speed to a lower speed, such as 1 or 2? The fix is also supposed to take care of the speed issue as well as the graphical problems.
    Post edited by Katsu on
  • You know who Sucks at Hyper Melee in Star Control 2. Scott Ruben!

We should get a Online Ur-quan Masters Hyper Melee Tournament going!
  • You know who Sucks at Hyper Melee in Star Control 2. Scott Ruben!

I don't suck. I can beat most people. I'm just not the grand master. Also, you don't know how to spell my name.
  • edited March 2007

We need to get any kind of GNForum online gaming going.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • We should get a Online Ur-quan Masters Hyper Melee Tournament going!
    We need to get any kind of GNForum online gaming going.
    Just wait for TF2, then it's on!!!
  • There's actually a pretty sweet remake of X-Com: UFO Defense available, being a big fan of the original one, i picked this up awhile ago and its pretty good. If anybody is interested the website is http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/
  • Firaxis XCOM released today. By all accounts is amazing.