This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The "Chilling Effect" of the Libby Verdict

2»

Comments

• edited July 2007
    What exactly does "contempt citation" mean? It sounds like they have to testify in front of congress, but I thought they were already doing that.

Another question. Say the worst happens to all of them: Miers and Bolton get convicted, Gonzalez's perjury investigation and convicts him (or whatever they would do). What happens then? They all go to jail and we get people to replace them?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • edited July 2007
    What exactly does "contempt citation" mean? It sounds like they have to testify in front of congress, but I thought they were already doing that.
    Meirs and Bolten cited Executive Privilege and did not testify. Meirs didn't even show up. Twice. The House is going to vote on whether to hold them in contempt of Congress. When they issue the citations, the D.C. US Attorney will have to serve them. The problem is, the current guy in that job is one of the same cronies that the Administration used to replace a regular US Attorney. GWB has already told him that he can't serve the citations. It's going to be messy unless there's some sort of settlement, and both sides seem to be pretty devoted to an actual showdown. More. Congress has he power to compel testimony in the end. That testimony could bring the whole administration down.
    Another question. Say the worst happens to all of them: Miers and Bolton get convicted, Gonzalez's perjury investigation and convicts him (or whatever they would do). What happens then? They all go to jail and we get people to replacements?
    Have you ever played Dominoes? Have you ever read anything about Watergate? I would not be surprised if many people ended up in prison. Especially since Fred Fielding is the Shite House counsel on this. The last time Fred Fielding was Shite House Counsel was during . . . wait for it . . . Watergate. GWB's refusal to allow testimony and his refusal to allow his US Attorney to serve the citations would be enough for impeachment without mention of any of his other tomfoolery.

There have been a lot of "_____ - gate"'s in the past, but I think that this is picking up steam to be just as bad or even worse than the real Watergate.

As far as Gonzo goes, perjury will get you up to five years and a $250,000.00 dollar fine. There's a jail in the Capitol complex where they could keep him. Gonzales digs a deeper hole.

Finally: Please, please read this about war crimes and the White House.

Edit - They're gonna get a Special Prosecutor to investigate Gonzales
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited July 2007
    It's not a good sign when the Director of the F.B.I. says you lied. Is it too much to ask that your top law enforcement officer should stop breaking the law?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on